+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried....

Default Has anyone tried....

...something like THIS?

I run the standard 51/10/5 Inq spec, and quite frankly it's starting to bore the hell out of me. BnJ's a pretty good alternative to run, but to be quite honest I want something that's viable at range that involves more than just the usual Inq rotation. So I fooled around with the character builder and ended up with the above, giving me two more DoTs (Curse of Discord + Dark Water) and Obliterate to work into my ST rotation, Tyranny to work into AoE, and extra fringe skills like Dark Passage and Vile Power.

I just wonder how much worse the DPS will be compared to the standard 51 Inq spec... I'll be testing it out myself tonight when I get home from work, but I wanted to know if anyone had tried this sort of spec, and hoped to get an initial feel for whether it was completely full of fail, or whether it's a little more involved without there being a gap wider than a call girl's open legs between its DPS and that of full Inq.

I would be interested to see what the numbers are for this. Although I think the AOE side of it is not important as anyone raiding would have an AOE spec (cab) and ST spec (Inq) so trying to have both makes you a jack of all trades, master of none. Although whether sacrificing Nysyrs Rebuke and passive stat gainers for the extra DOTs and Decay consumers is worth it, I would love to find out. Update this please
    You've got red on you.

Plane Touched

I tried something like this, does not worth it. the cabalist dots will be a dps loss compared to boj spamming.

the cabalist dots will be a dps loss compared to boj spamming.
    I thought that would probably be the case; the question really is how much. I'm not in a fast-paced progression guild, so no one's really bothered about DPS so long as we have ample to meet any enrage timers. Aside from raids, if I find it fun and it's not far below Inq, I'll probably keep it for less serious content like Experts, MMs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalothen View Post
    I thought that would probably be the case; the question really is how much. I'm not in a fast-paced progression guild, so no one's really bothered about DPS so long as we have ample to meet any enrage timers. Aside from raids, if I find it fun and it's not far below Inq, I'll probably keep it for less serious content like Experts, MMs, etc.
    Made some suggestion how they can make this kinds off specs viable go bump it so zinbik might read it.

Hopefully a new hard to play spec
    Just click it!

Sadly, the only effective specs are the boring ones. That's because of how Gear works and the requirement for burst to get anything done.

If you truly want to have fun without giving any fauchs, try out my Deathknight build. It plays like oldschool Frost/Plague and you're very potent 1vs1 if you know how to construct good macros and cut out all the filler. Doesn't even need the heal debuff because they can cleanse that one anyways >.<

Give it a try and see how it goes. I'd drop one point from Affinity for Death (takes six seconds to regen the three stacks of LD) and drop DW. Have fun!

So far doing a couple of tests on dummies it's not all that far off 51 Inq - with only self-buffs at any rate. I'll do some proper parses later on at some point to get a better idea.

If you truly want to have fun without giving any fauchs, try out my Deathknight build. It plays like oldschool Frost/Plague and you're very potent 1vs1 if you know how to construct good macros and cut out all the filler. Doesn't even need the heal debuff because they can cleanse that one anyways >.<
    Odd combo but interesting for a PvP-centric build. Will have to give it a try. :P

I'd drop one point from Affinity for Death (takes six seconds to regen the three stacks of LD) and drop DW. Have fun!
    I'll try that thanks, though I admit I like the 15s cd on Obliterate as it matches up with the other CDs. DW definitely seems lacklustre given the cast time, so that's going!

I'd dump entropy for walk in the light. You only have like 2 channeled abilities. The 20% extra crit damage is well worth it. Unless you need dark passage and whatever the slow is called. Looks legit overall tho. +1

Derp, ignore all of that except last sentence. Inb4 edit timer.
    Last edited by Synergis; 05-28-2012 at 11:57 AM.

GSB Conq/ROS Conq/HK Conq/ID Conq
    4/4 TotDQ
    4/4 FT
    2/5 EE
    <The Chosen>

A bit more testing, though I've been lagging all evening for some reason so I won't be parsing tonight. I dropped Dark Water and picked up a pt in Walk in the Light, and the result was around a 40 dps gain. I'm also strongly considering dropping down to 4/5 in Affinity for Death as you suggested Hotter, mainly to put Tyranny on a 5s cd so I can create a seamless AoE rotation: Tyranny running in > SD > Tyranny > CoO > Tyranny, rinse&repeat. The idea of being able to do AoE dps on the move is still appealing for certain situations, but I don't think those situations occur regularly enough to warrant spammability.

I ran the spec in Expert Realm of the Fae a short time ago, and despite my lag issues I was only around 100-125 ST DPS behind what I'd normally get with 51 Inq, so perhaps on a better day the gap will close somewhat. Rotation pretty much as follows:

SH
    CoD
    BoJ
    BoD on proc
    Oblit on cd
    Vex whenever I could fit it in (tried to keep it up 100%, probably managed around 80-85%)

I gave Distorted Shadows a go, but that was a solid DPS loss. It's a shame because working the channel into the rotation would be a nice plus, but hey...

On the whole I'm far from disappointed. It's not all that far away from Inq in terms of ease of play, but having the extra abilities to play with (loving the teleport already!) - including Vile Power for a nice instant mana refill - is refreshing. I think I'll even hazard using it on raid content to see how well it scales with raid buffs.

I actually think Inq & Cab could hybridise very well to make a competitive ranged ST spec with very respectable AoE - IF Cab's ST abilities got a little bit of a tweak. Distorted Shadows needs beefing up (not to Nysyr's Rebuke strength, but a shade under would be good), as does Dark Water (get rid of the cast time and beef up the DoT so it's a bit more like SH, only with lower frontloaded damage and better DoT damage), and I would suggest improving Obliterate by lowering the CD or increasing the DD component (personally I'd go for 5s off the cd). Tweaking some of the DoT lengths would also add a little more complexity to such a hybrid, as you'd have to pay more attention and wouldn't just be able to macro most of your ST to one key as you can with Inq.

I dunno, just some thoughts..... ;)

A bit more testing, though I've been lagging all evening for some reason so I won't be parsing tonight. I dropped Dark Water and picked up a pt in Walk in the Light, and the result was around a 40 dps gain. I'm also strongly considering dropping down to 4/5 in Affinity for Death as you suggested Hotter, mainly to put Tyranny on a 5s cd so I can create a seamless AoE rotation: Tyranny running in > SD > Tyranny > CoO > Tyranny, rinse&repeat. The idea of being able to do AoE dps on the move is still appealing for certain situations, but I don't think those situations occur regularly enough to warrant spammability.

I ran the spec in Expert Realm of the Fae a short time ago, and despite my lag issues I was only around 100-125 ST DPS behind what I'd normally get with 51 Inq, so perhaps on a better day the gap will close somewhat. Rotation pretty much as follows:

SH
    CoD
    BoJ
    BoD on proc
    Oblit on cd
    Vex whenever I could fit it in (tried to keep it up 100%, probably managed around 80-85%)

I gave Distorted Shadows a go, but that was a solid DPS loss. It's a shame because working the channel into the rotation would be a nice plus, but hey...

On the whole I'm far from disappointed. It's not all that far away from Inq in terms of ease of play, but having the extra abilities to play with (loving the teleport already!) - including Vile Power for a nice instant mana refill - is refreshing. I think I'll even hazard using it on raid content to see how well it scales with raid buffs.

I actually think Inq & Cab could hybridise very well to make a competitive ranged ST spec with very respectable AoE - IF Cab's ST abilities got a little bit of a tweak. Distorted Shadows needs beefing up (not to Nysyr's Rebuke strength, but a shade under would be good), as does Dark Water (get rid of the cast time and beef up the DoT so it's a bit more like SH, only with lower frontloaded damage and better DoT damage), and I would suggest improving Obliterate by lowering the CD or increasing the DD component (personally I'd go for 5s off the cd). Tweaking some of the DoT lengths would also add a little more complexity to such a hybrid, as you'd have to pay more attention and wouldn't just be able to macro most of your ST to one key as you can with Inq.

I dunno, just some thoughts..... ;)
    Your right about inq/cab hybrids. We have a cleric in our guild that does freakish dps in it. He's usually around 4-5k ST even when mobile. I usually heal cause it kinda my thing, but whatever dps spec he's runnin I need to get it. I usually just run the cookie cutter 51 point builds incase I have to. Honestly the only reason I even use dps clerics is cause we just have alot of clerics. I would personally rather have facerolling mages and rogues.
    Last edited by Synergis; 05-28-2012 at 03:27 PM.

GSB Conq/ROS Conq/HK Conq/ID Conq
    4/4 TotDQ
    4/4 FT
    2/5 EE
    <The Chosen>

Odd combo but interesting for a PvP-centric build. Will have to give it a try. :P
    It's one of the most balanced builds for pvp I've had the pleasure of using and the flexibility is nuts. Completely mobile with zero hard casting. 2 unique feeling gap closers, and you can blink out of brostorm when you see it coming. Your pet is a cruise missile the enemy cannot ignore, and the greater fairy puts out some sick healing. If you can live with only panic buttons or a pocket healer to keep you going, 1vs1 you're a face melter with the ability to kite so that should keep you out of too much trouble. What they are going to expect is huge spikes of damage like inquisitor, but the secret is the sustained damage this build puts out with it's unique blend of ranged and close combat, all 100% instant casting and on the fly.

Downsides are you're squishy and a bit of a mana hog so chose your battles wisely.

I'm going to try a 5 Warden variant today. I've decided to keep 5/5 in Affinity for Death so I can get the most out of Obliterate, since it will gain the benefit of Destructive Tide. I know it means losing 5% sp, but perhaps the extra damage on everything but BoJ/Bod will outweigh that. We will see!

Update:
    The warden variant is a little less DPS than the Sent one. I've also tried a 40 Inq/15 Cab/10 Sent variant and this offers the highest DPS, but the gameplay is so close to Inq you might as well just play full Inq and still do higher DPS. I tried 40/20/6 in a raid setting yesterday, and it doesn't scale brilliantly with raid buffs, so the gap with Inq actually widened to over 200 ST DPS.

I think for now I'm going to retain the 40/20/6 for less serious content because it's more interesting to play than Inq without sacrificing too much DPS. For raids though, sadly it'll have to be full Inq.

It really isn't far off though - a few small tweaks as I stated before, and an InqCab hybrid would become very competitive.

Your right about inq/cab hybrids. We have a cleric in our guild that does freakish dps in it. He's usually around 4-5k ST even when mobile. I usually heal cause it kinda my thing, but whatever dps spec he's runnin I need to get it.
    I would love to find out this guy's build too.

Plane Touched

Probably a troll

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast