+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New player looking for advice :-)

Soulwalker

Default New player looking for advice :-)

Cheers folks,

despite having somewhat decent MMORPG experience from UO through DaoC to WoW, I find RIFT to be very amazing, but also difficult to make good choices at the same time.

Im currently playing a level 27 cleric and Im having difficulties in dungeons and PvP, likely due to bad gear and soul choices. I have 2 roles:
    1) Melee spec, which I enjoy to solo with - Im dumping points primarily into shaman / druid as secondary
    2) Healing spec, which I enjoy to heal in PvP / dungeons with - Im dumping points into Purifier / warden as secondary

Main cause of trouble is the healing spec, I just cant seem to keep tanks in PvE / people in PvP targetted by 2+ dps up, even though Im trying to use cooldowns properly and am stacking int / healing / spellpower gear and skills bonuses. Start of the fight is usually ok-ish, but as soon as I fall one or two heal behind by HoTing or shielding another mate, my primary healing target drops fast as I cant come back to top him.

I also tried to PvP as melee, but I get roflstomped any time Im targetted without being able to hurt people in a decent way while chasing them freely.

Any tips?
    Last edited by Agreus; 05-15-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Agreus View Post
    Main cause of trouble is the healing spec, I just cant seem to keep tanks in PvE / people in PvP targetted by 2+ dps up, even though Im trying to use cooldowns properly and am stacking int / healing / spellpower gear and skills bonuses. Start of the fight is usually ok-ish, but as soon as I fall one or two heal behind by HoTing or shielding another mate, my primary healing target drops fast as I cant come back to top him.
    I don't remember how many points you have to spend at 27, but here's what I'd recommend as a starting point: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00eGj..Vxovcu.-6. Restorative Flame shield is huge, and the biggest thing in PvE healing. Caregiver's Blessing is what you pop when things get hairy -- adds a nice shield to every heal you cast. Spam Healing Flare with Caregiver's Blessing to put out instant HP buffers that are half health, half shield. It stacks with your other shields, too.

Also, I would recommend stacking Wisdom over Int. Especially as a Purifier. You'll get more Spellpower, which makes for stronger shields. You also get better mana regen, which will help when those Dominators start draining you, or during long boss fights.

I'd put the rest of your points into Sentinel, aiming for Touch the Light. I play 51/15/0, and I can easily heal one person through 5+ DPS for 20s straight using my cooldowns.

In PvE, really you just spam Restorative Flame.

Also, LifeBinder is amazing. Download it and learn how to use it. http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info...inderBeta.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Agreus View Post
    I also tried to PvP as melee, but I get roflstomped any time Im targetted without being able to hurt people in a decent way while chasing them freely.

Any tips?
    Don't PvP as a melee Cleric. We don't have the mobility to do it. Inquisitor is the only real viable DPS spec. Purifier, Warden, and Sentinel can all work for healing. I like Purifier, and it works for me.
    Last edited by Velkane; 05-15-2012 at 12:34 PM.
    Arch General Velkhar, P50 Cleric
    PvP Healing: Purifier, AoE Healer, Senticar, Ward/Sent
    PvP Open World: Duracell-esque

Ascendant

At 27 you're still missing some important healing abilities for pve. It gets easier.

For PVP heals you may want to try an inquisicar or something - playing a pure healing spec in pvp at low levels can be pretty challenging. (DPS simply has more tools than you do at that point)
    Raelyn <The Granite Guard> R40 Warrior @ Seastone
    Tomoka <The Granite Guard> R40 Cleric @ Seastone

Dungeon healing at lower levels can be challenging because most tanks don't have tank gear yet, and may have poor tanking specs as well. If you have the ancestral flame talent and just stand there spamming restorative flame on the tank, that's more or less your max healing. If it doesn't keep the tank alive, you need a 2nd healer or a better tank.

If you are looking for a more versatile healing spec, by level 30 you can have the core of sent/warden: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00jeG.E0V0bsuc.xg.-6
    The key talent is Serendipity. It reduces your big single target heal to 1.5 seconds, and your big AoE heal to 0.5 seconds. Instant casts will not use it up, so you can throw those around and rest assured that serendipity will be up when you need it. In particular, Healing Flood from warden is almost guaranteed to proc serendipity because it hits 5 people. You can fill out either tree from that core as you level, sent/ward variations are common at 50.

For PvP while leveling, purifier, druid, and shaman are generally dead trees. Purifier is built around a 3s cast that is too slow for PvP, and the melee DPS trees are too squishy for the front lines. Cabalist is also a dead tree because it doesn't round into form until later levels. Warden was the premier PvP healer until it was severely nerfed in the latest patch.

Your best option is inquisitor for PvP DPS. You can max it and pick up extra spellpower with spare points for full DPS, or you can combine it with justicar for some survivability and AoE heals. For PvP healing, sent/ward should work OK but you may be best served by making a justicar-based AoE healing spec. The extra survivability from justicar can help against the twinks.

As a final word, the first 10-14 points in justicar are the best thing clerics have going right now. Play around with some "-icar" hybrids as you level. Inquisicar and Senticar are especially popular, though any main tree will work.

I levelled in PvE with a Purisent, and at lvl 29 it looked something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?rift...E0x0ccz.E0oV.0

Use ward pre-pull, or on a raid member that's taking damage in combat.

Spam Restorative Flame on the tank.

Use Touch the Light +Resto Flame or Healers Covenant for those Oh Crap moments.

Healing Breath will heal 2 other raid members so is great for spot heals, especially if there's more than one to heal up. And Healing Communion with heal the grp.

You have a Smart Target AOE cleanse in Empowering light, and also Cauterize for solo cleansing. I can't recommend cleansing enough. It'll be a long time until you can outheal most DoTs, and a cleanse will save day

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread