+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tocsin

Thread: Advice for a new Cleric tank (HK/ID)

Rift Disciple

Default Advice for a new Cleric tank (HK/ID)

Ok so I'm not exactly a new cleric but I am starting to be used a bit more in our raids as a tank. I am pretty geared, as in 2nd bis for most all gear spaces lacking only relics and a neck piece at the moment. I was hoping to get a few questions answered as well as some advice on gearing if possible.

Sigils... I have a bis sigil from Radak's spreadsheet (missing the darn t2 earth one though) Should I make a half fire sigil for ID tanking or go full fire and lose block/end? I might be tanking in the earth wing as well. Also the same goes for Akylios... I have tanked him before successfully though as the third tank (now we only use two) and mainly just healed. If I plan on MT Akylios, would I be better off with a water sigil, hybrid, or bis? I can ISS farm very quick and have no problem making them if that is what is needed.

Specs... I am running a 51j/12inq/3sham as I love the purge, anti fear (that sometimes works), SH, and vex though I believe 51j/12pur/3sham has higher mitigation. Is the mitigation noticable? I see a %5 wisdom which comes out to about 30ish block, cleanse, and 1200 self shield on 30sec cd. I mainly like the Inq variation but will run which ever is needed.

Righteous Mandate... This is a dumb question I know... but I have been dying to know. If I have no -icars in my raid with RM, is there a threat loss if I cast RM on someone?

Wind Glyph... Wind Glyph or Burning Powerstone? 30 Block just doesn't seem worth the threat loss to me, please enlighten me here

Gear... Are relics a big upgrade in terms of mitigation? I have mainly 2nd bis, the next upgrades are relics. I'm wondering if I should allocate more dkp to tanking relics than I currently bid.

Raid Consumables... Endurance vial or Wisdom/Intelligence vial? I am currently using Wis/Int vials, tablets, Powerstone, Ember steaks, shield spikes, Heavy/Thick armor plating, Burning Spellstone, and Performance Insoles. Am I missing anything here?

PA... The worst part. I have about 45k in PA to spend but they are currently spent in SP/Wis nodes. Adding it up gives me an extra 60 endurance I can spec into. With the crappy tooltips I'm not sure how the end is added. How much HP am I looking to gain by each endurance point? I am mainly now a dps/hybrid cleric that heals occasionally, would you suggest half and half, full endurance, or ignore it as it doesn't add much HP? Currently self buffed I sit at about 18.7k.

I enjoy tanking and want to offer the best I can from my class for my raid. Any and all tips/advice is much appreciated.

Endurance from PA's gives 9 HP each, so worth a total of 540 HP.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

Quote Originally Posted by mxdiz View Post
    Sigils... I have a bis sigil from Radak's spreadsheet (missing the darn t2 earth one though) Should I make a half fire sigil for ID tanking or go full fire and lose block/end? I might be tanking in the earth wing as well. Also the same goes for Akylios... I have tanked him before successfully though as the third tank (now we only use two) and mainly just healed. If I plan on MT Akylios, would I be better off with a water sigil, hybrid, or bis? I can ISS farm very quick and have no problem making them if that is what is needed.

You don't need any resist for Akylios. As for ID I went with a full fire resist core. You shouldn't lose much block% as you will be well into the soft cap already what you will lose is mostly % absorbed however with most resist heavy fights the big damage is unblockable which is why you are going with the resist in the first place. Earth lessers are very block and endurance heavy to begin with so there is less of a problem there.

Specs... I am running a 51j/12inq/3sham as I love the purge, anti fear (that sometimes works), SH, and vex though I believe 51j/12pur/3sham has higher mitigation. Is the mitigation noticable? I see a %5 wisdom which comes out to about 30ish block, cleanse, and 1200 self shield on 30sec cd. I mainly like the Inq variation but will run which ever is needed.

I use the same spec. There is some talk about the puri scaling better with more ID gear but I don't think you are there yet.

Righteous Mandate... This is a dumb question I know... but I have been dying to know. If I have no -icars in my raid with RM, is there a threat loss if I cast RM on someone?

If you don't have an rm on you casting one on someone else will be a very very minor threat increase. I find if I don't have any rms in the raid I will toss mine on the other tank that way I can use reprieve on him if he needs it.

Wind Glyph... Wind Glyph or Burning Powerstone? 30 Block just doesn't seem worth the threat loss to me, please enlighten me here

Wind glyph is much better. I would consider telling the dps to wait an extra second before I decreased my mitigation for threat. If you are hitting the enrage timer and people are pulling off you then I would switch for more threat but not before that.

Gear... Are relics a big upgrade in terms of mitigation? I have mainly 2nd bis, the next upgrades are relics. I'm wondering if I should allocate more dkp to tanking relics than I currently bid.

If you are the second tank you should consider yourself the co MT as most of the fights thus far in ID have been equal tanking so I would recommend doing everything you can to pick up the relics. The extra endurance and armor class will go a long way to keeping you alive.

Raid Consumables... Endurance vial or Wisdom/Intelligence vial? I am currently using Wis/Int vials, tablets, Powerstone, Ember steaks, shield spikes, Heavy/Thick armor plating, Burning Spellstone, and Performance Insoles. Am I missing anything here?

I usually run endurance vials but if you want to be picky its going to depend on the fight. On Ituziel for instance most of his big damage is unavoidable brimstone fissure, the kick, and word of incineration so endurance or resist will be much better than wis and int. Maklamos on the other hand has adds which give you a stacking debuff every time they land a hit so avoiding just one of those hits can make healing easier and give the other tanks a second longer to pull off of you so I would go with wis/int on that fight.

PA... The worst part. I have about 45k in PA to spend but they are currently spent in SP/Wis nodes. Adding it up gives me an extra 60 endurance I can spec into. With the crappy tooltips I'm not sure how the end is added. How much HP am I looking to gain by each endurance point? I am mainly now a dps/hybrid cleric that heals occasionally, would you suggest half and half, full endurance, or ignore it as it doesn't add much HP? Currently self buffed I sit at about 18.7k.

We are need as much hp as possible so we don't get too far behind the warrior tanks so even though the PA endurance doesnt benefit from Mein of Leadership you should be taking them. You should get earth and life done then move onto fire for the resists and then go for the wisdom PAs.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Tocsin; 05-09-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Rift Disciple

Awesome. Thanks a lot guys! I must correct my derp self though... I meant 2nd bis pre-ID. (it was like 4am when i posted ) Its interesting to hear the resist povs, this makes me glad I ISS farm.... I plan on making a few more tanking sigils soon.

Shadowlander

Agreed with everything tocsin said, apart from the RM causing increased threat.
    RM doesn't increase your healing, only transfers your overhealing from salvation (causing the same amount of threat) to someone else.
    I do however agree with putting it on the other tank assuming there are no senticars or possible even inquisicars with RM as they may be able to do more healing over the entire fight and you shouldn't need to rely on reprive as a CD as you should have enough healers with CD's anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouset View Post
    Agreed with everything tocsin said, apart from the RM causing increased threat.
    RM doesn't increase your healing, only transfers your overhealing from salvation (causing the same amount of threat) to someone else.
    I do however agree with putting it on the other tank assuming there are no senticars or possible even inquisicars with RM as they may be able to do more healing over the entire fight and you shouldn't need to rely on reprive as a CD as you should have enough healers with CD's anyway.
    I cant check right now, but I'm fairly certain that the salvation still heals on you (generating overheal threat) and then also heals on the RM target (generating more threat)
    Last edited by Quietmode; 05-10-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Cleric Tank

Rift Disciple

Well since we have always at least a senticar in the raid RM will never get used. Successfully tanked Warboss adds no problem, and after consideration deciding to move to earth wing next. Now that the 4th tank strategy is fixed, I'm thinking I'll be the third tank. I hear not much earth resist is needed but am currently sitting at 122 earth resist self buffed. Should I build an earth resist sigil or stick with my bis? It only takes me a few days to afk farm a sigil, just wondering
    Oh, also hit 19.6k self buffed without respec'ing my PA. I don't feel so bad anymore when I tank with the warriors
    Last edited by mxdiz; 05-10-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietmode View Post
    I cant check right now, but I'm fairly certain that the salvation still heals on you (generating overheal threat) and then also heals on the RM target (generating more threat)
    Salvation still heals u.
    Just click it!

+ Reply to Thread