Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cleric Opinion

Default Cleric Opinion

Hi ppl,

I'm newbie here, so im doing one cleric with this souls:
    • Cabalist
    • Justicar
    • Druid

In your opinion its was a good combination for on guy who wants PVE?

Plane Touched

As long as you are having fun, you spec doesn't really matter until you hit lvl 50. That said, you might want to check out the cleric guides section to find out about some of the best specs. also if you are early into lvling, you might want to consider re-rolling as a different class, as they will usually out dps clercis. unless of course you want to be able to heal tank and dps, then you should stay cleric.
    Last edited by Haptiic; 05-07-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Haptiic View Post
    you might want to consider re-rolling as a different class, as they will usually out dps clercis.
    That statement is only true for clerics who are not too good at DPS. Clerics are competitive, but it probably takes a bit more effort than rolling face on keyboard. If you want an easy DPS class, rogue or warrior is the choice for you.... their top specs do require some effort, but even if you are a poor player, you can get pretty good dps with these classes.

Anyway, personally I wouldn't look at the guides. You can do so if you wish to power level. When leveling my cleric, half the fun was playing around with the various souls and trying out different options. Only when I went into raiding did I start consulting guides.

As mentioned by Haptiic, there is no 'wrong' build.... just go with whatever is the most fun.
    Cabalist is good for if you plan to do batch farming.
    Justicar for the defence
    Druid for the healing fairy and some single target dmg.

Hmm..... With that responses, what they means is the cleris is good to healing?

Edit: I see the guides, however, i dont found nothing with this souls...
    Last edited by Drander; 05-08-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Champion of Telara

Clerics are the premier healers in the game.
    They have 3 healing souls and are unmatched in most circumstances.

We have a tank soul, and we can DPS.
    Put all these together and you have one of the best/easiest farming/leveling classes around.

But if you ever take part in raids, be expected to be asked to heal. If you prove yourself in your guild, and numbers allow it, they'll let you DPS eventually, but in many guilds, if you can't even prove yourself as a healer, you usually don't get invited to raids. Whether that is fair or not is a matter of opinion.

Then, Cleric DPS is little wanted to Dungeons and Raids?

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drander View Post
    From what I've seen (disclaimer: I'm only starting in raiding in Rift), this will only matter if you are in a high-end raiding guild that will min/max everything to be competitive for shard first kills. In an average guild you won't be told "Sorry, you're a cleric so go heals" as long as you are putting in an effort to do DPS. For dungeons it doesn't matter, you can DPS perfectly fine in dungeons as a Cleric - you won't top the meters, so if you want to do "leet DPS" then Cleric isn't the right class for you, but if you want to have fun and versatility then go Cleric all the way. Being able to tank, ranged DPS, melee DPS or heal as necessary is an amazing thing.

So in short, I think a lot of the posters here are high-end raiders who have to min/max everything, so yes they would rather have a Cleric heal and bring a higher DPS class for a progression boss that they don't outgear who has a tight enrage timer. But chances are unless you are super amazing you won't be in a guild like that for a while, so you shouldn't be afraid to play a Cleric and want to DPS (understanding, again, that while you will be good you won't be "great") but be turned off because some people on forums said you'll be forced to heal. Not everyone enjoys healing (I know I don't).

I can't speak to your spec but I found this guide to leveling with the "Duracell" build to be very helpful while leveling.
    Last edited by wayne62682; 05-08-2012 at 03:46 AM.

I want to be DPS... However one day, i wil create one Healer... But now i dont want to be...

I think that was a wrong choice to be Cleric now lol...

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne62682 View Post
    I can't speak to your spec but I found this guide to leveling with the "Duracell" build to be very helpful while leveling.
    I will see it ;) Thanks
    Last edited by Drander; 05-08-2012 at 03:56 AM.

It's more to do with the fact that healing Clerics are capable of dealing with pretty much any situation from consistent single target tank damage, to pumping out raid heals, to dealing with spike damage on the tank, to cleansing debuffs, etc etc etc. By comparison the Chloromancer mage healing soul is far more limited in terms of reacting effectively to different situations.

That definitely doesn't mean to say Cleric DPS isn't competitive or wanted for Dungeons and Raids - just that typically unless you have an excess of Clerics in your raid group, it will be likely that you will be asked to fulfil a healing role. That doesn't mean you have to give up doing DPS either, because there are numerous builds that exploit the Justicar damage > healing capability to pump out very respectable raid healing whilst also offering good DPS at the same time. Just bear in mind that such DPS > healing builds are typically designed for raid healing, not tank healing, and unless you sacrifice much of your damage potential you'll lack any significant reactive capabilities beyond Doctrine of Loyalty, which is your bread'n'butter raid heal.

For example, the Inquisicar has nice damage output and excellent raid healing potential, but lacks anything in the form of reactive abilities beyond Doctrine of Loyalty, or single target heals beyond a basic Healing Breath (assuming you've taken Sentinel as your third soul). The Senticar on the other hand, has relatively poor damage output, but gains a large number of reactive capabilities, such as Serendipity, Healer's Haste, Healer's covenant, group cleanse, etc.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Drander View Post
    I want to be DPS...
    May I suggest you try another class then. Probably warrior.
    Bearing in mind in raid as a newbie, a mage will be asked to archon, a rogue asked to bard .

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by wayne62682 View Post
    For dungeons it doesn't matter, you can DPS perfectly fine in dungeons as a Cleric - you won't top the meters, so if you want to do "leet DPS" then Cleric isn't the right class for you, but if you want to have fun and versatility then go Cleric all the way. Being able to tank, ranged DPS, melee DPS or heal as necessary is an amazing thing.
    not sure if trolling?

if you can't top meters in dungeons it's a player issue, or gear issue. cabalist is amazing for trash, bolt n jolt/51 druid/51 inq are all great single target.

so OP: don't reroll because people complain on forums. if you go read any other classes forums, they'll complain about not being top dps just the same. well, except maybe mages :P
    Last edited by fD123; 05-08-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Champion of Telara

My friend, you should play a mage if you wish to DPS with an eventual choice of healing. The Mage DPS options are competitive, and they have a healing soul (Chloromancer).

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Patchkid View Post
    My friend, you should play a mage if you wish to DPS with an eventual choice of healing. The Mage DPS options are competitive, and they have a healing soul (Chloromancer).
    cabalist is better aoe damage than any mage soul. mages have ONE dps soul that is better single target than boltnjolt and its the hardest spec to play in the game.

cleric dps is fine, i'm getting so sick of people complaining when we're competitive. *reminds self to stop reading forums*

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by fD123 View Post
    cabalist is better aoe damage than any mage soul. mages have ONE dps soul that is better single target than boltnjolt and its the hardest spec to play in the game.

cleric dps is fine, i'm getting so sick of people complaining when we're competitive. *reminds self to stop reading forums*
    Pretty much this...but look at other class forums, every class has people who thinks their class is terrible and needs buffs.

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

To be fair, once the SC gets to work on the targets for 8 hours, they will do more aoe dps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast