+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DPS as cleric is just a taster of other classes.

Default DPS as cleric is just a taster of other classes.

This is what it feels like for me. After taking a break from rift and coming back im really not enjoying DPS as cleric and am highly considering rolling another class.

To start off with we have a smaller pool of classes to choose from, healing classes have been prevented from being combined with DPS in any way (which i fully understand, but reduces options). But i dont even have the option to create a support class apart from go justicar.

The viable DPS classes are 51 points in the role and then the rest in inquisitor, and the classes we have to choose from dont seem that unique. Two mage like roles, one melee role, one melee pet role and support. It almost feels like cleric is the class for people who want to play different play styles and dont want to level up the different classes. Rather than having roles that give us a unique play style we just have the option to play different classes.

I want to be able to play an interesting class with a unique play style and thought i could make one with cleric but i find i had really limited customisation options. Is the DPS as cleric unique or do you think i would be able to find what i am looking for in a pure DPS class?

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

Well our top spec is a melee caster, I'd say that's pretty unique

Quote Originally Posted by MNM View Post
    Well our top spec is a melee caster, I'd say that's pretty unique
    Well maybe i just think the grass is greener on the other side. But it seems other classes have so many more options than us

Ascendant

Jolt n Bolt is a fun spec to play. I do wish we had more complex options like oldschool Stormcaller/Ele, but keep in mind almost all clerics mess up these dps specs. You can sit there and call them easy/boring/whatever, but I have doubts you're even playing them optimally.

Sword of Telara

If you can't be arsed about healing, and want versatility regarding dps, you're probably best off with another class.

But yeah, Jolt n Bolt really is one of the more interesting dps specs in the game. If you're not that wowed by it, I'd suggest a reroll.

However, if general versatility is your thing, switching between supper/heals/dps then cleric is for you.
    <Destiny Raiders>@Icewatch
    4/4 5/5

Quote Originally Posted by jaal View Post
    This is what it feels like for me. After taking a break from rift and coming back im really not enjoying DPS as cleric and am highly considering rolling another class.

To start off with we have a smaller pool of classes to choose from, healing classes have been prevented from being combined with DPS in any way (which i fully understand, but reduces options). But i dont even have the option to create a support class apart from go justicar.

The viable DPS classes are 51 points in the role and then the rest in inquisitor, and the classes we have to choose from dont seem that unique. Two mage like roles, one melee role, one melee pet role and support. It almost feels like cleric is the class for people who want to play different play styles and dont want to level up the different classes. Rather than having roles that give us a unique play style we just have the option to play different classes.

I want to be able to play an interesting class with a unique play style and thought i could make one with cleric but i find i had really limited customisation options. Is the DPS as cleric unique or do you think i would be able to find what i am looking for in a pure DPS class?
    the fact that you can perform every role pretty well, I would say is unique.
    Being able to take nothing but clerics and clear HK seems pretty damn unique aswell..

but let me get this strait.. you want to be able to do what other people do, and think THAT is unique?

clerics already have the world in their hands here..your hunger to be OP is insatiable..

Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post
    the fact that you can perform every role pretty well, I would say is unique.
    Being able to take nothing but clerics and clear HK seems pretty damn unique aswell..

but let me get this strait.. you want to be able to do what other people do, and think THAT is unique?

clerics already have the world in their hands here..your hunger to be OP is insatiable..
    Why is it every question about a class always comes back to them wanting to be OP. Sigh...

anyway thank you to everyone who replied. I think I'm going to try out mage and see how I like it and try out healing on my cleric for fun in between. For the record what is jolt and bolt? Ive currently been playing a inq/sham/sent build. I'm only casual and have no interest in topping any dps charts, just want to play a fun play style and not make 1 macro that will max dps.

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

In the guide forum It's called joltisitor

Ascendant

Bolt n Jolt is definitely fun to play and requires paying attention to play it well, so definitely look that up like everyone has said. Sounds like same thing you have been playing although depends on numbers of course just inq/sham/sent could mean a couple different builds.

Oh wow this is creepy. Just looked up Jolticar and i have been playing almost the EXACT same build but with a few points in different places. I have enjoyed playing it so will keep that as my cleric DPS build and level a mage

Prophet of Telara

You wont like mage, you have to try hard to even be half decent. Also the reliance on 25pt pyro is incredibly boring. Flinging fireballs for 5 patches now suffice to say im bored to hell with it.
    If you plan to kick that tiger in the rear end. You better have a plan for the teeth on the other side!!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTrickle View Post
    You wont like mage, you have to try hard to even be half decent.
    Where is the logic in that?

The thing is, every spec has just a couple of valid choices for their top dps spec, usually just the one. Unless you want to gimp your top dps just to play what you want, you'll have little choice whatever class you play. If you're happy to pull lower numbers, cleric has as much to offer as any other class, more rly due to the possibilities for healing, support and tanking.

You want to be a warrior - melee soul for you. Mage? Ranged dps. Rogue can offer you a ranged or a melee option. You can argue that Clerics don't have a "unique" style. But nor does any other class. You want to dps, you're ranged or melee, end of story.

Yeah, your support option is to go Justicar. And for Rogues it's Bard, for Mage it's Chloro. Warrior? Beastmaster I suppose, but you can't queue as support with it.

I have all 4 classes up to 50 and raiding. None of them offers me the flexibility that Cleric does. Some of the other classes are fun, but if you're looking for a "unique" challenge, you're playing the wrong game. If you want to be flexible, and have to adapt to each and every instance, Cleric is the way to go. Today I will be mostly healing, supporting, doing some dps (probably will use 3 to 4 specs for this depending on where I find myself) and maybe I'll pop out a tank just for the lols....

Best of luck finding the class that suits you, I'm sticking with my Cleric.

Ascendant

You could also argue that Clerics have the most variety in their DPS souls since all of their DPS souls now have -some- purpose and as far as 5 mans go all 51 point DPS souls can be used in some fashion. In raids? Yeah you are down to 2-3 specs for DPS as far as raid content goes, 1 if you want to be in the top few in DPS, but how is that different than any other class in this game? Are rogues/mages/warriors playing tons of different specs and topping meters in all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    Are rogues/mages/warriors playing tons of different specs and topping meters in all of them?
    That was precisely what I was trying to say, thx for clarifying. I may* have been a little circumlocutory.

*definitely was.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast