+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weapon procs and weapon switching

Default Weapon procs and weapon switching

I had a quick forum search and couldnít find anything about this and also havenít heard of anyone doing this.

Iím aware of people using weapon switch macros to bring out a shield and stuff like that, but what about the following?

I have Asphodels Primal Beacon, which has the 150 sp proc however its base sp is only 631 (not including wisdom here for easy napkin math) which is lower than a lot of other weapon combinations before the proc is applied. For an example I will use the PvP 1h mace/totem which has a total base of 720 sp. On paper APB would be better (ignoring hit/focus gere for comparison) because of the proc (assuming good uptime, I havenít tested this but observation in Raids suggest that it is high).

I noticed that the APB proc stays up even when weapons are switched. Has anyone else considered using sweapon swich macros to max their spellpower?

Example for Inquisicar spec:
    DPS, Convictions etc etc. How about adding a weapon switch macro into abilities such as DoL. In my case I would gain an extra 89 spellpower by equiping the r36 PvP weapons which seems significant. Iím sure there are other cases where people could get even more extra spellpower without losing any hit. I can't even see any downside to this unless I missed something. If the proc is up, awesome, but even if it isn't then you would still maxing out your spellpower for important abilities.

What are your thoughts on this?

I don't think you can switch weapon whilst in combat.

For myself, if I am healing (pvp) I eat the proc and use the mace and totem for the valor.
    If I am attacking, the extra base stats aren't worth the loss in sp proc which is up constantly and the focus.

For pve I use my asphodel if I am a castor of any sort, again because the sp gain makes an overall bigger impact since I woe be soft capped in crit, if I am using a warden, the sp gain makes up for the wis loss, and inq doesn't seem to have any more impact with hard stats and dps rating.

For shaman I switch to a weapon with higher dps rating.

jca
    Rift Chaser

You most certainly can switch weapons in combat. The only downside is that it resets the auto-swing timer so make sure any gains by switching weapons for an ability outweigh the auto-attack loss.
    Last edited by jca; 03-08-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    I don't think you can switch weapon whilst in combat.
    You can. Only weapons though.

As for having things proc then switching weapons, yes, that could be a decent DPS increase. However if too many people hear about it and start doing, they'll fix it like WoW where if you switch weapons, the proc is removed.

Works well in theory, the buffs stack and you can get some extra SP. you can build macro's that will swap weapons just fine.

But in practice its glitchy, makes you lag and get less GCD's than you should and causes a DPS loss for me. In worse case it glitches so bad you wind up with no weapon equipped at all sometimes.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by usman View Post
    Works well in theory, the buffs stack and you can get some extra SP. you can build macro's that will swap weapons just fine.

But in practice its glitchy, makes you lag and get less GCD's than you should and causes a DPS loss for me. In worse case it glitches so bad you wind up with no weapon equipped at all sometimes.
    You wont unequip your weapon if you use /loadequip in your macro for swapping weapons, however sometimes if you use a macro with loadequip in it to swap to another weapon following a channeled ability like BoJ then you can end up still using your 1hander when LH goes off. Still handy for times when you use LH+loadequip following an instant cast ability.
    Gilg - 50 Guardian Cleric on Briarcliff
    Maximation
    We're recruiting active, competent raiders who enjoy being competitive while having fun!

Shield of Telara

I think they're 'fixing' it to not allow you to swap weapons in combat next patch, at least according to the warriors in my guild so you can't really take advantage of this for long...

Yeah, warriors have been doing this for some time. But 1.8 brings no weapon swapping swapping or unequiping in combat. Nice idea though, +50 DKP for thinking of it.

Myself and a friend tested this out and it's such an awful DPS decrease.

We both have the APB but the only difference between our main weapons: I use the Staff of Crazed Whispers and he uses MH w/ the Darkling Skull.

He found it harder to maintain both of the buffs as well as trying to not lose DPS from the swaps. We spent more time having to use APB for the proc which made our SP suffer, mine especially since my 2H PA hexes are not filled in as much as my staff hex PAs.

It's entirely doable if you can get the buff to proc immediately on it and swap to another weapon.. but I lost a lot of DPS trying it out. It could be that I was just terribad with swapping and the proc rate on the APB being awfully randomly bad for me.
    Last edited by Riane; 03-08-2012 at 01:44 PM.

MiO
    Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Afyael View Post
    I think they're 'fixing' it to not allow you to swap weapons in combat next patch, at least according to the warriors in my guild so you can't really take advantage of this for long...

Swapping weapons while in a MC'd state is being removed, not swapping weapons while in combat.

You can thank Smokd for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarrom View Post
    You wont unequip your weapon if you use /loadequip in your macro for swapping weapons, however sometimes if you use a macro with loadequip in it to swap to another weapon following a channeled ability like BoJ then you can end up still using your 1hander when LH goes off. Still handy for times when you use LH+loadequip following an instant cast ability.
    I couldn't get to work well, this is what i was doing -

Macro 1 -

#show sanction heretic
    suppressmacrofailures
    loadequip 1 (asphodel's beacon)
    cast sanction heretic
    cast bolt of judgement
    cast life's vengenace
    cast excommunicate
    cast banish
    cast vex

#show Bolt of Depravity
    loadequip 2 (high priest's illumination)
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast bolt of depravity
    cast sanction heretic
    cast bolt of judgement
    cast life's vengenace
    cast excommunicate
    cast banish
    cast vex

So macro 1 is my usual spam macro until i get a BoD proc , then i switch to macro 2 and spam that until i don't get a bod proc and i go back to macro 1 until i get another one.

I use an old blue backlight G15 keyboard the bank of 18 keys, these spam the game while pressed with many 'button mashes' per second. So my usual rotation is press and hold G7 until bod proc then press and hold G8, tap G9 for vex and G11 for NR. Simples.

But when i do this with the loadequip lines, the weapons don't swap smoothly, they glitch, sometimes they don't swap at all for several spells, overall I lost about 100 DPS trying to do this.

Maybe its just due to excessive button mashing

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    Myself and a friend tested this out and it's such an awful DPS decrease.

It's entirely doable if you can get the buff to proc immediately on it and swap to another weapon.. but I lost a lot of DPS trying it out. It could be that I was just terribad with swapping and the proc rate on the APB being awfully randomly bad for me.
    you kinda hit the nail on the head here, afterall the APB is a proc chance so if it doesnt go up switching weapons wont work effectively, plus the reason why APB is up almost constantly is because your trying to proc it again with each spell/attack so by the time it runs out you will have had enough crits to re-proc it.

switching the weapons is a nice idea but complicates things too much esspecially since your playing them to proc's and RNG rather than for abilities like the warriors do (the complicated rotation for Champ/Para for the 2h and DW attacks).
    Last edited by Fliptrik; 03-09-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Champion

I dont think APB would be viable for weapon swapping, lose too much stats hoping for a proc. I was more referring to people who have the option to use relic mh/oh combinations that are superior stats to bane of madness, but would like to make use of the bane proc sometimes. Using a 2hander is still better than a 1hander for LH swings since weapon damage is calculated into how hard it hits, but like I said earlier, if you use LH following a channeled ability you will swing before the game recognizes you switched to a 2hander..but you can will have a chance at procs swapping back and forth while doing your rotation.

I havent had any issue with weapons unequipping or not swapping over immediately using /loadequip in my macros , but I also use an old keyboard and just manually hit my keys repeatedly.
    Gilg - 50 Guardian Cleric on Briarcliff
    Maximation
    We're recruiting active, competent raiders who enjoy being competitive while having fun!

The change of not being able to swap weapons is potentially because of ID --- where there might be a similar boss to Estrode (mind control).
    Where's the Auction House to buy more DPS for my cleric?

Just make sure you're swapping between the same types of weapon.

Well, either that, or fill up all weapon/totem hexes in your PA...
    Strawberryfields L3X High Elf Mage@Bloodiron-EU (currently playing)
    Mercenary Krool L60 Mathosian Warrior@Bloodiron-EU (currently playing)
    Marshall Raynedrops L60 High Elf Cleric@Bloodiron-EU

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast