+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cleric PvP builds?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    A cleric who claims that cleric pvp burst is best accomplished with soul drain...

The saddest part is that if you really have been around for as long as you say, you are both the slowest rank-gaining player in the game (assuming the rank 6 in your sig is accurate), and the slowest learning player in the game. Get out of this thread before someone unfamiliar with the class actually believes what you say you dirty troll you.

/edit: more on topic, just go 51inquis/10sent/5ward if you want to dps. It does more burst damage than a shaman build, and has more survival. Just realize that til you gear up a bit (at least the second tier of pvp gear) your damage will not be very significant versus any high ranking player. Equally geared players though? You'll burn right through them.
    Lol, your sad for not paying attention. If you had common sence you would know if someone had around 2mill lifetime favor that they would not be rank 6, and in fact rank 6 used to be the highest rank. I have not been on the forums nor cared to update my signature.

I do agree with you on the gear, as someone mentioned don't even try to DPS if you don't have end game gear.
    20 Mill Lifetime favor and climbing, 270k lifetime kills and climbing.. Owning nubs is a full time job.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by aLittleBird View Post
    you are doing it wrong. Soul Drain is good if you are standing in the middle of them and they let you cast it.

But my experience for great dps consists of - Purge, Spiritual Definiency (hoping they don't notice either because it doesn't do any damage) then Sanction Heretic hoping for a Bolt of Depravity insta-cast Proc, Fear now they know you are there, long cast hit or Nysr's Rebuke depending on how low their health. Then you have to decide whether healing breath on yourself is needed or you can just top up with Harsh Discipline. And if it goes long then you get into knockback, impede kiting.

Purge is really, really good in PvP.
    I think you don't realize what BURST damage is. Its doing the most amount of damage in the least amount of time. Soul drain+ sanction heretic will give the most amount of damage then anything else. Using all these different types of skills and "Hope" that a insta proc on depravity is not a good strategy for burst damage. Sure it might be effective sometimes, but with all the skills your using it's wasting time.. Time that a healer can easily replenish whatever health you tried to knock down. In comparison to healing, you would be far more beneficial to the raid if you kept people alive who had better trees/classes for DPSing. Don't whine to me, complain to the dev's about the poorly established trees.. It's no big surprise alot of the best PVPer's left this game months ago.
    20 Mill Lifetime favor and climbing, 270k lifetime kills and climbing.. Owning nubs is a full time job.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsurfing View Post
    I tried inquisicar but it was bad. Granted i am low rank like level 10 but my BOJ did like 180 dmg on a warrior and 400 on a mage. And the enemy has 6-12k hp. How the hell do i kill anyone lol?

And somehow i hover around 5k hp so i am often two to four shot.

So i turned to healing and just butt hump the zerg in a wf. But i get spanked open world. Oh well. I guess one day ill have better pvp gear.
    It doesnt get much better with gear. Lol

Shadowlander

Clerics can dps?

A perfectly geared Cabalist will burst down an entire team in seconds, even if they're getting healed. I'm looking at you, Tyrannicus! One Scion match, that one Cabby managed to push our team to the spawn point and blast us from his perch on the wall.

Inquisitor can do great ST burst, but sometimes it's more like a support burst kinda thing (I.E., help that warrior knock out a player before they get a heal, purge, snare). I've had a couple of good runs with my Inq build and I'm only R31.
    Zev & Manafont of Seastone
    Vinco Bellum

People will tell you to heal because it's so much more productive vs DPSing, and that isn't wrong, but there are often so many gross failures in WF's there are times when DPS is definitely the way to go. If you're healing and your DPS are letting you die, scattering to the four winds, etc healing isn't doing a damn bit of good, plus it sucks when you're out there healing yourself basically and contributing little else. Do what's fun.

Cleric DPS needs:

More effective getaway abilities. Our CC's don't do much. As it is:

a. fear is next to useless, causes people to lose about 1 step at best
    b. knockback spells are instantly countered with gap closers
    c. bewilder takes 2 full sec to cast
    d. diminishing returns on snares make them a joke for kiting

Not only are DPS clerics glass canons, they have a huge red target on their head as they are seen as either a) a healer to be killed, or b) an easily squished DPS pest you don't want to leave alive.

I hope they someday wake up to the concept that DPS clerics either need more tools or more mitigation. As I've said in past posts we try to look inconspicuous while dropping VEX on 6 people at once and taking huge chunks of their HP and it doesn't work out so well.
    Formerly Scarecrowe... now Skullcluck. I know, I need to L2P, thanks. Save your breath.
    If you want a healer so bad why don't you roll one up?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsurfing View Post
    I tried inquisicar but it was bad. Granted i am low rank like level 10 but my BOJ did like 180 dmg on a warrior and 400 on a mage. And the enemy has 6-12k hp. How the hell do i kill anyone lol?

And somehow i hover around 5k hp so i am often two to four shot.

So i turned to healing and just butt hump the zerg in a wf. But i get spanked open world. Oh well. I guess one day ill have better pvp gear.
    Inquisicar is terrible in pvp. You aren't gonna heal for crap, and you're missing out on 15 points that are spent directly on damage increasing abilities: 5% more spell power, 10% more damage from instacast spells (SH anyone??) and a 20% damage bonus to crits.

And yeah, if your gear sucks then you're just not going to do squat against people rolling around with 1100+ valor, which is basically everyone in the game over rank 25ish. Same goes for your health... you should be sitting closer to 8k health by the time you're in the second tier of pvp gear. Try to eyeball people's health pools as a way of identifying someone's rank relative to you. If you see someone with 5k health, you know they're low rank, and more likely to die to your bursts. If you see a mage/cleric/rogue running around with 8000hp+, that means they're probably rank 30+, and your baby nukes are barely going to tickle. It also means they're much more experienced pvpers and they're going to react quickly (and probably lethally) to any attempt at bursting you throw at them.

As for damage, just nuke random stuff (players, or mobs, or critters, whatever) until you get a BoD proc. It usually doesn't take long, and the proc lasts an entire minute, which is practically forever! Then, if someone isn't paying attention to you just purge and SD and vex, then BoJ + BoD insta so that the two nukes are in the air at the same time, Nysyr's Rebuke, which should go off right about when the BoJ/BoD lands, and the second the last tick of Nysyr's hits throw in a fanatacism + SH. That's 4 nukes that all land in the space of 3 seconds, and they are stunned the entire time (barring break free or whatever). The absolute MINIMUM damage I do with that combo (considering players with a full valor set... again not counting random cooldowns etc) is ~4k damage. That's with no crits except the fanatacism SH. That's ~50% of a typical R40's health, in a single burst. Against someone with a less than full valor set (4pc HK wearing warriors/rogues, yay!), and with a couple crits mixed in it often does 7-8k damage. It will absolutely murder any low ranking player that I point it at.

The trick is to maximize the potential of that burst. If someone's receiving heavy healing, don't bother... you'll nuke them down to 30% health, then they'll heal right back up. If you see your vex tick for an abnormally low amount, or you land an initial BoJ and it does very little damage, they might have blown some defensive cooldown that's going to eat your entire burst without a problem. Just hold off, and throw in a couple purges, spread some vexes around, etc. People tend to react strongly to burst, whereas they'll sit through small tickling damage for quite a while before freaking out and blowing cooldowns. Pick a focus target and vex/SD/purge them, then spam BoJs and see if you can knock their health down a bit. Pretty often in warfronts I can throw out three or four BoJs which will whittle someone's health down to 60% without causing them to panic, at which point you throw out the combo and bang, they're dead before they have a chance to react. You should be able to get a killing blow using this technique every 90 seconds... and that adds up very quickly in a long warfront.

Alternatively, you could run into melee range and try to cast a 2 second nuke. I hear that works for some people.

Thanks for the tips on frontloading the insta high dmg stuff. Also curious about the cab specs, what are some good cab specs? preferably some with survivability!

As always I will normally play a healer but if heals are covered and I feel comfortable I may pull out the beat stick... if I can find a good one

Inquisicar is bad -now- but will be your best in in lower ranked games. Especially if your concern is your own safety.

Inq, is pretty much where its at for..stable? pvp ability.
    Cabs can be, but, are easily trumped by a warden. But if you or your team can occupy the (2 lol) healers there, then cabs can **** hard. Although still a very gear dependent soul

Inqui, easiest thing to do: purge hard cast ( i fant with it but its probably not the best time to use it) BoD -> sanction if BoD didnt proc, go on to nysyr -> BoD

pretty much a sure kill for any non VK/RS/MoL build. Including healers (still think inquis are one of the better healer killers)
    Last edited by Eughe; 03-02-2012 at 12:13 AM.

I roll a 51/11/4 Cab/Just/Inq when the heals are covered. It has a mountain of CC's, a AoE purge, DoL, and a crap ton of Reparation healing when you find 5 or so people to pop Sign on.

But alas, i take hits a little better than a toddler. So i usually only live long enough to piss off half the other team and steal about 4-5 kills with AoE before the floor smacks me in the face.

Still fun tho, but I mostly heal 80% of the time.
    Lasthope - Cleric
    Newhope - Salty Healing Mage Re-roll
    <Ready Check>
    Prime Progress: GSB 5/5 RoS 4/4 RotP 4/4

Default Still doing it wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Rad1an7 View Post
    I think you don't realize what BURST damage is. Its doing the most amount of damage in the least amount of time. Soul drain+ sanction heretic will give the most amount of damage then anything else. Using all these different types of skills and "Hope" that a insta proc on depravity is not a good strategy for burst damage. Sure it might be effective sometimes, but with all the skills your using it's wasting time.. Time that a healer can easily replenish whatever health you tried to knock down. In comparison to healing, you would be far more beneficial to the raid if you kept people alive who had better trees/classes for DPSing. Don't whine to me, complain to the dev's about the poorly established trees.. It's no big surprise alot of the best PVPer's left this game months ago.
    I don't think you realise what USEFUL BURST damage is in the context of PvP. Sure Fnat+SD will net you some massive AoE damage, however it is usually countered easily and needs to hit a group to be useful.

51 Inquis can pack pretty insane single target burst, but only if they are allowed to freecast. I tend to heal now but still occasionally play 51 Inquis.

Spam BoJ until you get your BoD proc. Then Cast BoJ, Throw BoD at the end of the cast and then time Fnat+SH to hit your target as the BoJ/BoD land. All 3 of those hits landing simultaneously on a target (even without the Fnaticism) is a massive burst in 1 hit and can drop a lot of targets at high gear levels. Also BoD procs a LOT and lasts 60 seconds. I pretty much always have 1 going in my back pocket and use it when actually needed.

Also, Nysyr's Rebuke. Is it intended that it completely ignores line of sight? I noticed this recently by accident. The amount of people I've killed from below their rocks at codex is ridiculous.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Rad1an7 View Post
    It doesnt get much better with gear. Lol
    this is wrong. pvp is very gear based in terms of both healing and dps. after that its a PA grind.

also @op use a powerstone if your not all ready doing so. it should help a ton.

~olfor

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Mamimo View Post
    this is wrong. pvp is very gear based in terms of both healing and dps. after that its a PA grind.

also @op use a powerstone if your not all ready doing so. it should help a ton.

~olfor
    An equally geared DPS Mage/Rogue/Warrior will crush an equally geared DPS Cleric.

Champion

I find it helpful to save your burst/stuns etc until you have the target at 50%ish if its a high ranked player. If you burn you cd's and burst when they are at full health, you simply get them to half health quickly, then cannot kill them. Cast two bolt of judgements, your second cast will be enroute before they notice you, follow with a vex to get a dot and a hot rolling. At this point, you should have some of their health shaved off. Purge, then apply burst in the fomr of BoD if proc'd, crit sh, then nysyrs rebuke. By getting in two boj's and a vex before your burst, you will either score a kill, or have them on the defensive. Once they are scrambling to stay alive rather than try to kill you, keep nuking as they wont be able to stay up long unless they are heavily invested in healing.

Good idea to have an instant cast macro in place as well, in case they try running like a sissy to los you. Spam your instant cast macro as you give chase, and be sure to drop a snare. The instant cast macro and snare is also very helpful in kiting rogues/warriors while straffing, and use your knockback and snare.
    Last edited by stefe; 03-02-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Rift Disciple

i guess so far we could say there are 3 kinds of pvp. WFs, open world and dueling.

in 99% of the WFs i heal, 51 warden. i have to. on a pvp shard and been healing WFs since rank 20. i get marked from the get go and cannot survive if i am not healing. it gets a little boring but works.

in open world grouped, i still heal. 51 warden.

solo in open world; mining, pvp dailies, ect. i use a 51 shaman with 11 justi, 4 sent. and my macros are set up for survivability, opening up with glory of the chosen, not dps. then jolt.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...rsAk.xhMz.m.-5

and yes i think equipment is huge. i run the lesser valor essenses in my greater slots so i max valor at 1375. i use the mace and shield. the mace has a powerstone, the shield sharp spikes, the legs have chaps, the shoulders have padding, the feet insoles, the helmet a spellstone, the BP thick armor plating. and i run the 1 hr int / wis potion that survives thru death too. (two toons that craft helps, 300 apoth, artif, outfitter and armorsmith)

i carry 40 each of the heal pots, HoTs and insta. mana pots. HoTs and insta. mirrors, flames, and my ever popular finisher the soul remnant.

so who do i beat? well, everyone AFK. all of the plat farmers. most people lower geared than me, then many many people lower on health fighting mobs. and i die to a sprinkling of everyone except most other clerics who aren't loaded for bear.
    Kill me quick. Zirak, Orstun, Riz, Robo, Snowreap, Strife, Skelas, Rallock, Thrack, Adimenti, Pemtium, Demazia, Elowyn, Lendryn, Tinstar, Arsilon and a host of others will be here shortly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast