+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleric healing advice.

Default Cleric healing advice.

Hey guys, I've only healed with a cleric twice now in a dungeon setting and I need a bit of advice.
    My first time was in Fea and I didn't have much problem healing.
    The second time was a nightmare in Iron tomb. The tank was getting pounded on every pull and even when I was spamming my biggest heals I could not keep him alive. Twice the tank died simply because I could not keep him up.
    I'm using the suggested build for healing that Trion has in it's " Preset builds " for Clerics. My thought is that this build is not appropriate for low lvl healing but since I'm new to this I may be wrong.

Any thoughts ?

P.S. I have some healing experience from world of warcraft so I know basic healing strategy and tactics.

Its all likely not your fault.

Ive been in many low level PvE dungeons where the tank is simply not prepared for the fight.
    Warrior tanks (surprisingly) seems to have been a major problem in my early groups. I dont know how they are in 1.7 but in 1.6, if the warrior just reached the level requirement for dungeon, they did a terrible job because they took too much damage.

The easiest solution for me was to assist the cleric (as a mage, chloro, as a rogue, bard) and help healed.

Which build were you using? Because there are some builds that are terrible for low level healing

Ok here is my build, again this is the build that the game suggests as a healing build.

Sentinal 6 - Purifier 20 - Warden 0

I'm only lvl 20 so thats as far as I've gotten so far.

That preset build isn't the greatest until you get a lot deeper into sentinel.

Try using something like this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00jG_.E0t00s.t

You get healer's covenant and touch the light which are some nice cooldowns.
    You would primarily just spam healing invocation and use healing communion for aoe heals.
    retired

If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying.

Yeah it's in these lower level dungeons especially where you'll encounter people unprepared for their roles. The warrior or cleric tank without a shield, the rogue tank without Guardian Phase, the cleric tank without Mien of Leadership... etc, etc. Having a meter that details spells beyond the hps/dps numbers helps as well.

Turn on 'cast on target's target' and watch for buffs... guarded steel, precept of refuge, awareness, etc, etc... The point being, the more you know, the less neanderthal blaming. What is the spec for the preset?

The end spec is 34/32/0

Quote Originally Posted by Islingr View Post
    The end spec is 34/32/0
    Ya it is the old puri/sent which is still viable being that it has a Brez.
    retired

So basically I need to roll over to that other heal spec for lower lvl stuff ?

Ya put points primarily into sentinel to get some nice cooldowns and until you get higher into purifier sentinel is way better. Once you get get 28 points into sentinel for serendipity start putting points into purifier for other things.
    retired

Trion is spreading blasphemy with puri/sent? The warden gods are not happy.

*shakes fist angrily at sky*

Soulwalker

I know how you feel buddy, I'm pretty new to the game with a touch of previous healing knowledge as a HoT Druid in wow.

Naturally I fell into the warden tree and Ive not had too many problems so far. The main problem has been tank taking way too much damage for me to heal, but then these are usually the tanks that do terrible pulls and don't wait for an OOM healer to recoup.

As a few have said, ask your support for a bit of backup heals if you having problems (that's what they are there for) and don't be afraid to point out that the tank may be at fault, they too may be under the illusion their spec/gear is good because they have had a great team behind them.

Also I'll add don't let one bad tank think you're not good enough. Keep the wisdom high and have a play around with a few different souls and see what you enjoy and feel comfortable with.

Ascendant

This is currently my all rounder spec, big tank heals and not useless when it comes time to aoe heal either.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...otRo.g0E0fstco

I'm a little hazy on whether I should have gone with spellpower or %heals on the sentinel tree.

This spec leaves you with a big healing invocation as well as overflow and hots to cast. It's missing Healing Shower but it's designed to heal a tank in heavy situations in priority over that little extra bit of aoe healing/procing.

Thanks for the reply's

I've switched specs myself and tonight I'm going to roll a few dungeons to try it out. In wow I had a Disc Priest so that suggested spec wasn't far off the mark from what I was used to. But either the tank was awfull or the points in my spec were so spread out that I had no " Big " heals yet.

I'm going to make a post over in the suggestions forum about this so that " Suggested " build might need to be looked at for beginner healers. I think consideration needs to be made for " extraordinary " Situations that this build just can't handle right out of the box considering new healers are going to be using it.

Plane Touched

Don't judge yourself too harshly. In my experience with lower level dungeons (running any of the roles available) the tank's lack of gear causes problems much more often than the healer's inability to heal.

+ Reply to Thread