+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain why Sentinel is mandatory for just about every healing build?

Default Can someone explain why Sentinel is mandatory for just about every healing build?

When I play MMOs I have the talent to make the most absurd builds work, and I'm the kind of player who gets bored and even go so far as being offended when the developers shoe-horn me into certain talents/trees for the sake of balance. So, here I am looking over healing builds because I like to genuinely heal and 2 things have come to my attention.

1. When healing in pvp I spend almost as much time if not the majority of it cleansing rather than casting actual healing spells, as a pure healer (yuck). Noticing that the Sentinel tree has the only AoE cleanse I think to myself "crap... I'm going to be forced into speccing for that at some point". Now when healing in PvE it's a snooze fest and I typically get bored enough to start pulling for the tank and just heal through whatever happens.

2. Knowing how absurdly fast characters level in Rift I'll eventually have to put on the daddy pants and put together some raid healing builds. Going over the typical ones all I see is Sentinel this, and Justicar that thinking to myself "ugh... cookie cutter crap, why the hell is sentinel in every pvp and pve build? That's one OP tree."

This poses the question to the brilliant young minds of the Rift Cleric community have you tried coming up with successful pure healing builds that do not require Sentinel and actually work? When I say "pure" builds I mean no "icars" please. I've tried keeping current in my absence from Rift but after being bought a generous gift card over the holidays I plan to make the most of it.

Thank you in advance

Prophet of Telara

Serendipity!

Try out Warden and see how you like it in PVP

Plane Touched

There are many icar specs that do not use sentinel at all...i.e. inquisicar and shamicar.

Healing breath is an amazing instant cast heal, which you get at 0 points in sentinel. If you wanna play 51 warden or 51 purifier those are options...they just aren't as versatile as adding in sentinel. Currently most people have sentinel to have a brez option as well, but purifier and warden don't get these until 1.7 patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies79 View Post
    There are many icar specs that do not use sentinel at all...i.e. inquisicar and shamicar.

Healing breath is an amazing instant cast heal, which you get at 0 points in sentinel. If you wanna play 51 warden or 51 purifier those are options...they just aren't as versatile as adding in sentinel. Currently most people have sentinel to have a brez option as well, but purifier and warden don't get these until 1.7 patch.
    I agree healing breath is quite amazing, I just wish I didn't have to use an entire tree to get it. 1.7 sounds very promising so I'll look into that and continue to practice as I get my healing legs back. One thing I've noticed is my old pure healing build is very fragile compared to what it use to be. I was one of those players who would sacrifice all of my damage to be able to out heal and protect against incoming damage, and it would take about 4 dps focusing to wear me down to death. Now I'm out of mana constantly and a single justicar was able to solo me while I was stalling at codex for my derpy team to back me up.

This game has taken some very strange directions for pure healers since I last played, and I hope to avoid having to become a hybrid just for survival. I refuse to DPS unless I'm playing a pure dps class, but I'll be the best damn healer you've ever seen to the point you want to give up and just walk away. That's my style and I hope I can stick with it.
    Last edited by Trisian; 01-13-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Rift Disciple

Sentinal is a strange soul. It has a lot of abilities to synergize with other souls, making heals bigger, reducing cast times, and it has a brez. That's why so many builds use 32 sent. What you don't often see is 51 Sentinal. It's not a bad soul, but it seems to work best supplementing other souls like Purifier, Warden, or Justicar than it does standing alone.

Justicar is another one you see a lot of simply because it has the best AoE heal in the game low in the tree, so why not?

As for survivability in PVP, I'm not how long you've been out, but there has been a lot of healing nerfs in pvp, plus reduced healing debuffs, and debuffs that steal healing off a target. Dedicated healing in warfronts is barely even worth it anymore.

You can always use 51 puri for pve and 51 warden for pvp.

Or you can go unconventional and go 51 moh justi and use DoR as a MH (assuming your tank is good).

most people take sentinel for 2 reasons: battle rez and serendipity, not to mention the big aoe heals, % modifiers to heals, bigger crits, 5% more spellpower, proactive tank cooldown (as opposed to reactive).... purifier and warden have NONE of those

but! you are not forced into it, 51 purifier has some of the best cooldowns available to keep the tank alive and even though puri/sent (a very popular buid) has sentinel in it, it plays like a purifer the sentinel is just there for the passives

same story with 51 warden, it has its uses, and shines on fights where there are 2 tanks taking damage, the hots can be kept up on both tanks greatly reducing the spike healing that the other healers will have to deal with. also has the best AoE healing spell in the game ( long cooldown though). warden/sent is the same story as a puri/sent, the sentinel is mostly for the passives (and healing invocation) while the warden is what determines the playstyle

in 1.7 purifer and warden will get some much needed love but it never hurts to put some points in sentinel and get serendipity or some other amazing passives (no one will know you secretly use the OP healing tree, i promise!)

Rift Chaser

Others have explained the abilities, I'll just point out some of the simpler reasons.

Watchful Gaze: 5% spell power

Benediction: 5% boost to heals

Light Concentration: 10% reduced mana cost for heals

Pretty good basic talents, even if you're going 51 in another tree you can pick these up and give yourself a nice stat boost.

Alright well you guys pretty much got this covered for me and I'll have to experiment on my own so here's a curve ball off the top of my head I'd also like your opinions on.

Druids; Why not bows and guns for them?

After reading that the Druid is going to more of less become the cleric support class this will get me to finally give one a try, but I can't stand to play melee classes (my only rogue is pure bard ect) so what do you guys feel about giving bows and maybe guns to druids?

Quote Originally Posted by Kramhtaed View Post
    As for survivability in PVP, I'm not how long you've been out, but there has been a lot of healing nerfs in pvp, plus reduced healing debuffs, and debuffs that steal healing off a target. Dedicated healing in warfronts is barely even worth it anymore.
    Stopped playing around last july/august out of lack of in-game communities/ game atmosphere/ and zero point to jumping into lvl 50 pvp fresh with the way the game catered to hardcores. I was bought a 3 month card for the holiday so I'll be around till march if rift has changed enough for the better.

Ascendant

The same thing applies with Inquistor whenever you are doing anything except pure healing.

Almost every build is better with 11 points into Inquisitor. You have to put points into Inquisitor even if you are melee, having a purge is almost mandatory plus you end up doing more damage anyways.

I mean there's only 4 healing trees and you pretty much have to take at least 2 in a healing build.

One has crappy low tier talents that don't synergize with other trees (puri). Another has an attack-based mechanic that people going for "pure healer" hate (justi). So you're left with sent and warden, between which sent is currently better in more or less any kind of hybrid build. More passives, more stuff that works on spells from other trees.

That's why everyone takes it. But also you almost never see 51 sent; it's a subspec tree.

If you want to try to flaunt your non-conformism you can do some wonky druid fairy healing build and probably not suck too badly, but not until 1.7.

Quote Originally Posted by Stay View Post
    That's why everyone takes it. But also you almost never see 51 sent; it's a subspec tree.
    I wouldn't go that far.

But as someone mentioned above, the bonuses you get to going into Sentinel, even as 51 Puri or 51 Warden, are pretty awesome. Plus, Healing Communion and Touch The Light. Especially TTL.

Based off your first sentence, I'd question why you feel sentinel is mandatory?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast