+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are clerics any good at 1v1?

Soulwalker

Default Are clerics any good at 1v1?

Hey guys. I'm wondering if clerics ( with melee souls) are any good at 1v1? I know that rogues are good at 1v1, but there are way too many rogues in my server and I dont want to play one.

Shadowlander

I've been out of the pvp loop for a while, but from what I remember so long as you spec yourself for survival we're middle of the road on 1 vs 1. If you gear-up, and prep, we were pretty damn good(from my personal experiences.

Our dps doesn't really permit us a 1 vs 1 face-smashing, more like whittling the opponent down...

Plane Touched

Pretty much any highly experienced pvper will tell you that clerics are among the best at 1v1, and maybe the absolute best. There are a couple clerics on my server who I've watched handily beat every person I've ever seen them duel.

We have the ability to survive nearly anything that a single player can dish out when we spec correctly, and while our damage in these specs is pretty bad, it will *eventually* kill the other player.

In other specs, our damage is huge but we're glass cannons, so while we'll kill a ton of people, and often win 1v1 situations, we're also so squishy that in a bad situation (aka assassin rogue jumping us right after we pull a mob) we don't stand a chance. As it stands when I run 51 inquisitor/10sent/5ward I can kill around 60 or 70% of the players I see in open-world in under 5 seconds (usually before they even realize they're under attack).

Vs Mage's:

Inquisitor beats any glass cannon Mage
    Chlorodom beats any Cleric in general
    Pyrodom is often outhealed and eventually dies to waterjet spam
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Soulwalker

Thanks for ur replies guys. But I'm wondering only about the melee souls of the cleric. Not about inquistitor or any else.

I just started in level 50 PvP on my Cleric. I have a few pieces of R1 (Cavalier) gear, but mostly T3 pieces. I switched out my runes to Valor, Wisdom and Spellcrit on my staff. I run the M.A.S.H. spec and do pretty well, unless I'm stunned (which happens a lot). Today in the Codex I was focused by 3 NB/RS Rogues and one Warrior. I will assume they weren't very good as I managed to bring myself back from the brink of death and kill all four (I had to chase the last Rogue down). With self heals, group heals and melee crit ability (the build is focused around spell crit, so the higher the better. I can dispell debuffs and Crushing Wave (in the Warden tree) is a nice little addition for punting people off cliffs (so my allies can focus fire them), punt people away from flags when trying to cap and just be a general nuisance to the other team as I can be very difficult to kill but heal my team quite well. It's more of survival spec (I normally go 7-12 minutes between deaths, unless I do something stupid) than a dps spec, but it uses both melee and ranged attacks, plus the interrupts against casters, plus the aforementioned Crushing Wave knock back.

All in all I'm quite happy with the build.

I hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by Cathbadb; 01-13-2012 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    ... Chlorodom beats any Cleric in general ...
    I found that nothing can beat a P8 cleric with this spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...z.xx0R.VEbkoxo

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Cathbadb View Post
    I just started in level 50 PvP on my Cleric. I have a few pieces of R1 (Cavalier) gear, but mostly T3 pieces. I switched out my runes to Valor, Wisdom and Spellcrit on my staff. I run the M.A.S.H. spec and do pretty well, unless I'm stunned (which happens a lot). Today in the Codex I was focused by 3 NB/RS Rogues and one Warrior. I will assume they weren't very good as I managed to bring myself back from the brink of death and kill all four (I had to chase the last Rogue down). With self heals, group heals and melee crit ability (the build is focused around spell crit, so the higher the better. I can dispell debuffs and Crushing Wave (in the Warden tree) is a nice little addition for punting people off cliffs (so my allies can focus fire them), punt people away from flags when trying to cap and just be a general nuisance to the other team as I can be very difficult to kill but heal my team quite well. It's more of survival spec (I normally go 7-12 minutes between deaths, unless I do something stupid) than a dps spec, but it uses both melee and ranged attacks, plus the interrupts against casters, plus the aforementioned Crushing Wave knock back.

All in all I'm quite happy with the build.

I hope this answers your question.
    Nice mate! Can u just tell me ur build, cause I'm new to the game. I play from like 3 days or so.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by iSeven View Post
    Nice mate! Can u just tell me ur build, cause I'm new to the game. I play from like 3 days or so.
    Thanks.
    You can find anything related to the M.A.S.H. spec here: guide.
    It's a very solid build but it has some deficiencies from a 1v1 perspective.
    Last edited by Maul STK; 01-13-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Maul STK View Post
    You can find anything related to the M.A.S.H. spec here: guide.
    It's a very solid build but it has some deficiencies from a 1v1 perspective.

Thank you!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Maul STK View Post
    I found that nothing can beat a P8 cleric with this spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...z.xx0R.VEbkoxo
    I'm gonna check this out later, I like the idea very much

+ Reply to Thread