+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How rare are clerics end-game?

Soulwalker

Default How rare are clerics end-game?

New player here (: Trying to figure out which of the four routes I shall go down. I've had a play
    in the newbie starting zone and had a look at the soul trees.

From what I've read DPSing as a cleric isn't really great at end-game, so does that mean most clerics go healing? That would mean healers are pretty common? I'm hoping to become something useful but as long as base classes can turn into any soul type that's probably quite easy to accomplish since all of them have some kind of heal/tank/support soul. I don't consider a healer as fun as a dpser but I prefer it if it means I feel more useful/rare to a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukionna View Post
    New player here (: Trying to figure out which of the four routes I shall go down. I've had a play
    in the newbie starting zone and had a look at the soul trees.

From what I've read DPSing as a cleric isn't really great at end-game, so does that mean most clerics go healing? That would mean healers are pretty common? I'm hoping to become something useful but as long as base classes can turn into any soul type that's probably quite easy to accomplish since all of them have some kind of heal/tank/support soul. I don't consider a healer as fun as a dpser but I prefer it if it means I feel more useful/rare to a group.
    Clerics are far behind in DPS and TANK specs. By this I mean that with equal gear there is always a better option. Unless you out gear everyone else significantly your performance will be sub par.

Cleric can heal. Clerics are a common class to see at at raids. Mages can heal as well.

Right now cleric gear is the most common drop at raids because they have heal, dps, and tank gear drops. Soon clerics will only need two sets of gear because of re-itemization adding focus to all cleric gear, focus is the main thing that separated DPS and Heal gear. I would assume that this change will also make cleric gear drop at an equal distribution ratio in future content.

The good thing about clerics is versatility you can carry gear for tank, dps, or heals. You can also que as support (and offer healing). This versatility means that you will get groups in random dungeons faster than everyone else. Currently tanks are most needed in T1/T2 dungeons. The versatility will not get you a spot in a raid or guild any faster. If you get into a dedicated guild/raid group you will usually declare a main spec that they will expect you to perform very well at. In my opinion this just means if you want to DPS or Tank you would be better off choosing another class.

As the game stands right now:
    If you want to tank choose a Warrior.
    IF you want to melee DPS choose a warrior.
    If you want to range DPS choose a mage or rogue.
    If you want to heal choose a mage or cleric.
    The current most overpowered class is the mage.
    Tanks are not balanced close enough - big discrepancies there.

Classes I have that are level 50 and fairly geared are a cleric, rogue, and warrior. I do hope it helps you make a good decision.

I am sure my post is biased, but should be helpful, cleric is and was the class I wanted to play but given its current state in all but one role it can perform I am fairly jaded.

With the recent changes clerics are stronger in their DPS than they were but were not the best, but were not a wasted slot in a raid.

Though a upside to this that you may not have noticed is that a cleric can still raid heal while providing a solid amount of dps, and switch between a healing and dps focus mid fight. It lets us be quite versatile, though as a cleric who primarily does dps/heal hybrids and pure dps I cant say how common a pure healing cleric really is.

Though I will say playing a the dps/healing role as a cleric is quite enjoyable and there are quite a verity of pure healing roles for clerics to play so your bound to find one that's effective and enjoyable to play instead of having to try and find a warm fuzzy feeling inside for playing it for the group.
    Berotort - 60 - Cleric - <Philanthropy>

I've never been the guy you want to kill. I'm just front of that guy keeping you away from him.

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

Best at aoe healing
    Best at single target healing
    worst, but still viable dps and tank
    Can only support through aoe healing (that is the kind of support needed for 5 mans though)

RIFT Guide Writer

At endgame clerics are primarily used as tank healers and hybrid dps/raid healers. We are the best in the game at dealing with spike raid damage, and most of the fights at end game have some kind of spike damage. (HK would be very difficult to clear without clerics, you will always have them in raid.) Other fights have continuous raid damage, and mages (chloromancer) are better at dealing with this.

Cleric DPS is still not really close to other classes, but we are now part of the conversation at least. Our tanking is also far behind warriors (but not far off rogues). My hope is 1.7 does something for both of these, particularly our melee DPS.

In the current state of the game, my opinion is that mages are simply a better choice than cleric unless you want to tank. This is liable to change in the next patch, though, so I would just play whatever you have the most fun doing. Unless you are super serious about end game raiding, the differences aren't as big as some would make out.

Plane Touched

They're not rare at all. A quarter of my guild is clerics, and we have no problem fielding 5 good clerics every HK raid night.

We're fantastic AoE healers, though a good Chloro will give us a run for our money for 'best'.

We might not be as good as Warriors or Rogues for tanking... but who cares? My guild pretty regularly fields a cleric tank in HK alongside a warrior and rogue tank.

Our main tank healing is the best without question.

Our DPS isn't quite as high as the other classes in a single-target fight, but it's damn close. And no one can touch our DPS in an AoE heavy fight. Again, my guild regularly fields one or two DPS clerics in HK.

And in PVP our healing is great, we can build 'never die' and just eat focus fire from multiple people. And if you decide to do the inquisitor thing, our burst capability is ridiculously strong. The only downside to our dps builds in pvp is that we tend to be exceptionally squishy. For a cleric to gain any survivabillity, they gimp their dps pretty heavily. But oh well, we deal.

Banned

OP - In pvp its a mass of green and its a close call between mage and cleric for which is the most overpowered (they are both severely overpowered).

I have a Cleric, Mage and Rogue. The Mage and Cleric are both raid-ready, meaning my focus is where it needs to be in order to enter Hammerknell and do respectable dps. Having said that, the class I am asked to play is my Cleric. Chain drops are frequent in every dungeon. It's extremely easy to gear up a Cleric versus gearing up a Mage. Yes Mages can heal, but not anywhere near what a Cleric can do. The parse numbers do not lie. I heal with 51 Warden, or Senticar (2 battles rezzes vs 1 for a Chloro Mage), Inquisicar (heals with respectable dps and group buffs), Cabicar (outstanding AoE dps and raid heals via Doctrine of Loyalty, which is how Senticar and Inquisicar mainly heal) and Duracell (which is respectable melee dps with DoL heals also, but no battle rez).

I originally stopped playing my Cleric after patch 1.1 when Clerics got the shaft when it came to mana regen. It must be managed carefully. But some enterprising players came up with some unique builds for overcoming the difficulties with the class.
    Mages have a higher dps than any other class at the moment (this might not always be true) Rogues were top dps just a few weeks ago.
    Clerics in my opinion are the most versatile, but not necessarily the best at any one job except perhaps healing. Chloro Mages are great for single target tank healing, but when it comes to raid heals, they fall far behind Clerics, especially if interrupted. A hybrid healing Cleric can restore an entire raid's health pool in less than 3 seconds, whereas a Mage may take up to 7 seconds (barring any more incoming damage).

Look at any video for Greenscale's Blight, Gilded Prophecy, Drowned Halls, River of Souls, Hammerknell and Rise of the Phoenix and you will see more Clerics than any other class (mobile healing works very well here, but Mages must stand still unlike Warden Clerics and Hybrid Clerics who can heal on the run).
    You will see at least 2 Warrior tanks, 2 Rogues, 2 Mages and the rest are usually Clerics in hybrid builds, with one tank healer (just in case). Of course these numbers vary by Guild preference, but I have been repeatedly asked/encouraged/bullied into playing my Cleric versus playing my Mage. I played a Mage for 4 1/2 years in WoW and understand the class mechanics pretty well, but even still Guilds want the Cleric.

So if they are such a bad class, then why the high demand?

Meters aside, if everyone lived and the enemy died, you did your job. (Tried to edit but even though it was less than 30 seconds after my post I was unable to).

Out of 20 people in our raids for Hammerknell farm nights, we have 7-8/20 people whom are clerics.

They just received a massive dps overhaul, increasing it even more which made it a popular class.

Any boss a warrior can tank currently, a cleric is also capable, and most have been done by our cleric tank.

Clerics are the best healers, and practically have a support spec (Duracell)

They are NOT rare end-game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for sharing it with the world.
    11/11 HK(World top 10), 4/4 ROTP, Greenscale/RoS Current-Content Conqueror, GP Cleared, TDH Cleared.

Prestige Rank 8 in a weekend baby.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by aabuster1 View Post
    Clerics are far behind in DPS ... specs.

As the game stands right now:
    If you want to range DPS choose a mage or rogue.
    Actually cleric DPS, although lowest of the four, is not "far behind" at all. We're lowest, but by only a small margin (note that this is just two specs, both ranged caster, of which one only excels at AoE fights). The DPS is deffinately competitive (anybody telling you otherwise simply doesn't know how to play it). Add to that that Cleric dps has a debuff which it puts on mobs which is unique to the game: Clinging Spirits which increases magical damage by 7%. This is a MAJOR dps boost to the raid.

Clerics heal and dps, and we can tank - just take a little more damage but in return help healing the raid.
    <Destiny Raiders>@Icewatch
    4/4 5/5

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Cromagis View Post
    Out of 20 people in our raids for Hammerknell farm nights, we have 7-8/20 people whom are clerics.

They just received a massive dps overhaul, increasing it even more which made it a popular class.

Any boss a warrior can tank currently, a cleric is also capable, and most have been done by our cleric tank.

Clerics are the best healers, and practically have a support spec (Duracell)

They are NOT rare end-game.

7-8? lol
    DPS ovehaul? lol
    Duracels arent raid supports, they are mediocre dps spec that can survive tons of typical world trash

he DID get hit by a bus it seems

#1 Cleric World vanilla/preF2P SL. All Raids CQed

Ascendant

If cleric tank mitigation got fixed we would be in a great place right now. Our DPS is competitive with people who we should be competitive with (similiar gear, similiar skill) and hard to beat hybrid aoe heals. Tank mitigation is our only huge issue right now in raids.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    If cleric tank mitigation got fixed we would be in a great place right now. Our DPS is competitive with people who we should be competitive with (similiar gear, similiar skill) and hard to beat hybrid aoe heals. Tank mitigation is our only huge issue right now in raids.
    You mean Inquisitors are fine for dps clerics are not. Shaman DPS is still a joke once you get more than 1400 SP and when was the last time you saw a Druid on a HK run???

In raid DPS settings we have 1 soul that still comes up 4th on the DPS charts when all things are equal. If setteling for the scraps is fine for you then that is your choice. Myself I still want to see more average DPS scores and mele dps should always be higher than ranged (in non AOE fights).

Clerics are still just heal bots and if the content never got nerfed like it has been over and over you would see a max of 3 clerics in raids, 1 to tank heal and 2 to DOL spam and the rest of the raid slots would be full of real DPS classes.
    Last edited by Ivengar; 01-08-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    I kill more players than anyone! Just ask the last raid that asked me to heal!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ivengar View Post
    You mean Inquisitors are fine for dps clerics are not. Shaman DPS is still a joke once you get more than 1400 SP and when was the last time you saw a Druid on a HK run???

In raid DPS settings we have 1 soul that still comes up 4th on the DPS charts when all things are equal. If setteling for the scraps is fine for you then that is your choice. Myself I still want to see more average DPS scores and mele dps should always be higher than ranged (in non AOE fights).

Clerics are still just heal bots and if the content never got nerfed like it has been over and over you would see a max of 3 clerics in raids, 1 to tank heal and 2 to DOL spam and the rest of the raid slots would be full of real DPS classes.
    Yes, we have 1 spec that is competitive and although that is an issue it is not a pressing one as many classes have 1 spec that is the spec for DPSing, i'm not really concerned about that. We are not heal bots we were making DPS checks with 6 clerics in raids before all the nerfs and that was even before the MoA buff. We are competitive with every class right now which is all I ever asked for when commenting on us needing a DPS boost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast