+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Daglar Confirms Future Cleric DPS Increase

Default Daglar Confirms Future Cleric DPS Increase

For those who didn't see his post - Daglar has confirmed that they are going to be increasing Cleric DPS

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I'm not going to touch the rest of the other content in this thread as it deals with things outside my area of expertise.

But, I'm here to acknowledge that we are in fact looking at increasing cleric DPS. As per my usual caveat, I won't give you an ETA other than "Man I wish PTS was updated so people can start reviewing the changes".

While I fully understand that everyone would love more communication from the developers, it is not always viable to have them respond to forum feedback by posting on the forums or engage in a dialog with the community.

~Daglar
    Saralene - Cleric || Wolfsbane

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

I foresee a nice Christmas coming this year for us clerics.
    --BC

Banned

I foresee a repeat of 1.4. "Bringing cleric DPS in line with other callings." Sure, they might "increase our DPS" but making our abilities hit 2% harder when we're 30-40% behind in DPS is not significant.

We'll have to wait until we see significant changes on the PTS before getting excited. And if it's anything like the stat change, what's really awesome for us and gets us excited will just get removed from the next patch anyway.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by jMerliN View Post
    I foresee a repeat of 1.4. "Bringing cleric DPS in line with other callings." Sure, they might "increase our DPS" but making our abilities hit 2% harder when we're 30-40% behind in DPS is not significant.

We'll have to wait until we see significant changes on the PTS before getting excited. And if it's anything like the stat change, what's really awesome for us and gets us excited will just get removed from the next patch anyway.
    Hopefully the physical DPS change will help shaman and druid in 1.7 also. Maybe we will see valor reduce less physical damage on the whole as it is the main stat that affects physical DPS. Physical DPS is getting a straight 32 to 40% nerf on top of armor values... Hopefully something like

*Valor= 40%. Magical damage is reduced by 40% from valor while Physical damage is reduced by 20%.. Without touching any physical skills they have just buffed physical by 20%.
    Last edited by Undrsiege; 11-23-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Rift Disciple

Keep I mind that for 1.6 they also said they were going to normalize the tanks, and all we got 3 minor buffs, and then got left in the dust as they buffed rogues and warriors.

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything game changing.

Rift Master

Remember the original version of Thorns of Asphodel? Was 40 points or something into the tree, so you could get both that and jolt, was awesome. And of course...nerfed. And the greater faerie had nice scaling, so of course...nerfed.

As long as the 36 passives exist in their current form though, the game is simply applying one band-aid after another without any real effort to make the souls coherent in some form.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Valdis43 View Post
    Remember the original version of Thorns of Asphodel? Was 40 points or something into the tree, so you could get both that and jolt, was awesome. And of course...nerfed. And the greater faerie had nice scaling, so of course...nerfed.

As long as the 36 passives exist in their current form though, the game is simply applying one band-aid after another without any real effort to make the souls coherent in some form.
    Being required to go 51 points into a soul to do anything like "good" DPS for a cleric is an utter failure on the part of whoever was tasked with "balancing" or "creating" our souls.

The entire focus of almost all of the early developer videos and all of Trion's marketing for Rift has been about the flexibility of the soul system and how you can combine souls and still be viable. That's simply not true at all with clerics above 15 points. The only "exception" is W/S and P/S but nobody really cares about the scaling in these trees so all we really want in them is serendipity. If serendipity were moved to a root 40+ point ability, healing would be completely broken for clerics, much like DPS is. I'm sick of utterly garbage abilities (massive blow, SH/Vex, etc) being the "primary focus" of a soul and requiring 30+ points to make "good" from "utter and complete garbage." It doesn't help that our basic spammable attacks are weaker than any other class's either. Quickshot spam, fireball spam, any warrior spam all out DPS BoJ spam, and their finishers all hit much harder, and they have both more procs and DoT effects and they all do more damage than ours. Everything about every other class's DPS is better. None of them require 30+ points to buff 1 ability from utter garbage to passable.
    Last edited by Alyn; 11-23-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: removed inflammatory comment

Champion of Telara

Being required to go 51 points into a soul to do anything like "good" DPS for a cleric is an utter failure on the part of whoever was tasked with "balancing" or "creating" our souls.

The entire focus of almost all of the early developer videos and all of Trion's marketing for Rift has been about the flexibility of the soul system and how you can combine souls and still be viable. That's simply not true at all with clerics above 15 points. The only "exception" is W/S and P/S but nobody really cares about the scaling in these trees so all we really want in them is serendipity. If serendipity were moved to a root 40+ point ability, healing would be completely broken for clerics, much like DPS is. I'm sick of utterly garbage abilities (massive blow, SH/Vex, etc) being the "primary focus" of a soul and requiring 30+ points to make "good" from "utter and complete garbage." It doesn't help that our basic spammable attacks are weaker than any other class's either. Quickshot spam, fireball spam, any warrior spam all out DPS BoJ spam, and their finishers all hit much harder, and they have both more procs and DoT effects and they all do more damage than ours. Everything about every other class's DPS is better. None of them require 30+ points to buff 1 ability from utter garbage to passable. .
    above = nail hit on head.
    Last edited by Alyn; 11-23-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    I kill more players than anyone! Just ask the last raid that asked me to heal!!!!!

I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

The entire focus of almost all of the early developer videos and all of Trion's marketing for Rift has been about the flexibility of the soul system and how you can combine souls and still be viable. That's simply not true at all with clerics above 15 points. The only "exception" is W/S and P/S but nobody really cares about the scaling in these trees so all we really want in them is serendipity. If serendipity were moved to a root 40+ point ability, healing would be completely broken for clerics, much like DPS is. I'm sick of utterly garbage abilities (massive blow, SH/Vex, etc) being the "primary focus" of a soul and requiring 30+ points to make "good" from "utter and complete garbage." It doesn't help that our basic spammable attacks are weaker than any other class's either. Quickshot spam, fireball spam, any warrior spam all out DPS BoJ spam, and their finishers all hit much harder, and they have both more procs and DoT effects and they all do more damage than ours. Everything about every other class's DPS is better. None of them require 30+ points to buff 1 ability from utter garbage to passable.
    I normally don't agree with your posts, but this one is spot on

I am trying not to be too excited for potential changes, but instead just hoping that Zinbik realizes that nothing short of a complete overhaul will be required for our DPS souls.

Rift Chaser

+1

Yah well 1.4 was supposed to see us get a boost - that failed

1.6 was supposed to see us catch up in tanking - got some improvements but everyone else got buffed so much I have to see this as a fail as well.

now a new patch is supposed to come out and fix our dps - we shall see. I am at the point now where talk is real cheap. Results or its not happening . But here is hoping for the best I guess.

11.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #11
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Saralene View Post
    I normally don't agree with your posts, but this one is spot on

I am trying not to be too excited for potential changes, but instead just hoping that Zinbik realizes that nothing short of a complete overhaul will be required for our DPS souls.
    To manage expectations - there will not be complete overhauls to souls. Complete overhauls is something we'd like to avoid going forward.

~Daglar

To manage expectations - there will not be complete overhauls to souls. Complete overhauls is something we'd like to avoid going forward.

~Daglar
    Sad panda, but thanks for clarifying.

Consider my expectations managed!

Banned

Default Who Was That Masked Man!?

Who is Daglar? I've seen he/she in several posts now. Comminuty manager? Cheif officer of lifting broken spirits? He who shineth the light of the long fabled comminication?

Just curious.

Banned

~Daglar
    A complete overhaul isn't really necessary. Remove the 36 point passives and up scaling on everything. Perhaps rework a few less than useful (read: never used, ever) abilities and/or make some of our buffs unique. Finally, make our sub 20 point talents less specific and more useful for hybridization.

That's all that is needed. Hardly a drop in the bucket compared to what rogues & mages have gone through in the past 2 patches. You can hammer those through in a week, yeah?
    Last edited by jMerliN; 11-23-2011 at 01:43 PM.

*Inquisitor
    Swapped positioning of Castigation and Inner Focus in the tree. They are both still Tier 1.

I kid. Nice to hear from somebody on the situation. Thank you sir. On behalf of the community, go buy yourself a beer and a lap dance.
    "You have some ice cream in your eyebrows." - "Ya, that's the problem with this brand..."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast