+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 41 of 41
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Quick Tank Comparison

  1. #31
    Champion of Telara Quietmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunspots View Post
    Versatility is our niche, because we can adapt the raids needs offering extra healing, extra tanking, or extra damage in a world where the roster doesn't change every night. I get that this works against the shout out pug mentality, and perhaps that's the real flaw. No one shouts they need a cleric tank for gsb, and yet almost every real raiding guild uses one.

    This is the real disparity between fact and fiction, because while the numbers may indicate some sort of inadequacy, they do not demonstrate the cleric going from tank, to icar, to pure healer all in one 3 hr hk clear.
    This is the reason i play hybrid classes. I know we may not be the best but its great for the guild/raid. Here are the roles i play for our HKs

    Murdantix: Tank
    Matron: Tank adds
    Sicaron: Support Heals/cleansing
    Mollinar: Support Heals
    Estrode: Full Heals
    Zilas: Offtank or DPS
    Vlad: Offtank all 3 adds
    Grug: Tank
    Inquisitor: DPS
    Darktide: Tank
    Akylios: Tank


    I think the greatest example of hybridity i have is from Sunwell in BC of World of Warcraft. I played a Paladin and Healed Kalecgos, DPSd Brutallus, Tanked Felmyst, Healed Twins, Tanked Mu'ru, DPS'd Kiljaeden.
    Last edited by Quietmode; 12-07-2011 at 10:19 AM.


    Cleric Tank

  2. #32
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quietmode View Post
    I know we may not be the best but its great for the guild/raid.
    Exactly. As a cleric MT I don't cry when I'm not up front 100% of the time. I realize Clerics are here to be the jack of all trades, fit in where we need to. In terms of what skills or stats we have/don't should not be an issue. It is a play style. I always say playing a Cleric tank is fun because I play the game. Yes, I have a rogue tank and blinking in and grabbing aggro is fun, but com'on, challenge me. Kudos on your info, Quiet.
    Chryses :: Threesprings - Cleric - Tank - 60
    Chrysea :: Threesprings - Warrior - DPS - 50
    Chrysis :: Threesprings - Rogue - DPS - 51

  3. #33
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,352

    Default

    Sorry this is not exactly on par of the OP but since it has been brought up a few times in this thread I have to ask.

    So its ok as a cleric to be sub-par in tanking and in DPS because we can tank, dps and heal.

    Yet then, why is it ok for mages to be #1 DPS, #1 raid heals and a must in all raids as a Support build?
    Should Rogues take a nerf too because they have 3 roles for which they can play and play as a top role?


    Clerics are not the only class with 3 roles. We are the only class with 3 roles that can only do 1 of them competivly.

    And yes warriors are short changed because they only have 2 roles and something should be done about that but since I do not play a warrior I am not going to take up that fight. I do play a cleric and would like to be able to something other than heal in a raid setting.
    I kill more players than anyone! Just ask the last raid that asked me to heal!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

  4. #34
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunspots View Post
    Versatility is our niche, because we can adapt the raids needs offering extra healing, extra tanking, or extra damage in a world where the roster doesn't change every night.
    I agree that forum QQ is sometimes disconnected from reality, but I don't buy this argument.

    It might be true in theory, but it isn't in practice. Clerics are good for healing and tanking and whatever-you-want-to-call-inquisicar. If your guild is actually at the point of min/maxing DPS to make enrage timers (like mine is), you simply don't bring as many clerics -- you recruit more non-cleric DPS, or you have people re-roll. (We have done both of these things, I'm not making stuff up.) You bring just as many inquisicars as you need meet the raid healing requirements and fill the rest with mages/rogues/warriors. HK doesn't require more than two tank healers for fights, so at least in my guild's case, any time we bring 5 or more clerics to raid (including tank) something has gone wrong.

    Hopefully this changes when MoA is live, but as it stands clerics are no more versatile than mages or rogues. We just do healing and tanking instead of healing and DPS.

  5. #35
    Sword of Telara Calibrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djfrankizzle View Post
    I realize Clerics are here to be the jack of all trades...
    But that insinuates that we should be 2nd/3rd in all categories. No matter what the class is, if one spends 66 points on 3 DPS roles, they shouldn't be equal to someone else who did the same thing?
    Where's the Auction House to buy more DPS for my cleric?

  6. #36
    Sword of Telara Calibrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beckmann View Post
    We just do healing and tanking instead of healing and DPS.
    might want to change that too: We just do healing instead of tanking, DPS, or support
    Where's the Auction House to buy more DPS for my cleric?

  7. #37
    Sword of Telara Calibrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivengar View Post
    And yes warriors are short changed because they only have 2 roles ...
    iirc, warriors did have a support role during beta (not sure how far into beta or if it went live).
    Where's the Auction House to buy more DPS for my cleric?

  8. #38
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calibrex View Post
    iirc, warriors did have a support role during beta (not sure how far into beta or if it went live).
    Yah I heard about a support role for warriors and I think warlord was the soul that was to be it but they changed it up and made it yet an other tanking soul. They also nerfed range dps for warriors due to how broken it was in PVP so again, I feel the pain for warriors but my own pain is greater.
    I kill more players than anyone! Just ask the last raid that asked me to heal!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

  9. #39
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calibrex View Post
    No matter what the class is, if one spends 66 points on 3 DPS roles, they shouldn't be equal to someone else who did the same thing?
    TBH, I didn't choose to play a cleric to DPS. That's why I have a rogue. I refer to "Jack of all trades" in terms of raid composition. I'm not asking to be on-par with the dps of a Mage, Warrior, or Rogue and won't be, and I'm ok with that. This thread was made for a discussion on tank comparison, not dps.
    Chryses :: Threesprings - Cleric - Tank - 60
    Chrysea :: Threesprings - Warrior - DPS - 50
    Chrysis :: Threesprings - Rogue - DPS - 51

  10. #40
    RIFT Guide Writer Redcruxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djfrankizzle View Post
    I realize Clerics are here to be the jack of all trades, fit in where we need to. In terms of what skills or stats we have/don't should not be an issue.
    but it is an issue, why would you need a jack of all trades class when there is always someone else who can step up and do anything you can do but better?

    its not like we're a jack of all trades in combat, where we could adjust our role during the fight. since we can only swap roles out of combat you might as well just replace us with another class who's better at whatever role we're in at the time.

    if mages are highest dps right now, they can heal, and archon. whats to stop there from being a raid of all mages + a bard + a tank? nothing

    if clerics were equivalent in dps it'd be the same thing. exept right now there actually IS a benefit to having all the dps slots in a raid filled by the highest dps class. if all classes were equal there would be NO benefit to using a certain class in all the dps slots in a raid...

  11. #41
    Sword of Telara Calibrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djfrankizzle View Post
    TBH, I didn't choose to play a cleric to DPS. That's why I have a rogue. I refer to "Jack of all trades" in terms of raid composition. I'm not asking to be on-par with the dps of a Mage, Warrior, or Rogue and won't be, and I'm ok with that. This thread was made for a discussion on tank comparison, not dps.

    you're right. I just get side-tracked when a cleric should be doing the same DPS



    Back to OP: when looking at the comparison (and the recent warrior buffs), what would you say needs the most attention as in aggro management, utility tools, mitigation, itemization?
    Where's the Auction House to buy more DPS for my cleric?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts