+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rift Junkies Think Tank Private Forums - Any Cleric Interest?

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

Default Rift Junkies Think Tank Private Forums - Any Cleric Interest?

I'm not very familiar with the cleric community, but I would like to offer this to the community at large.

The other day I created, with the help of others, a "private forum" which I call the Think Tank. Essentially it's a highly moderated forum where people can theory craft and discuss changes. When I say private, I mean that your account must be flagged before you can get in. Anyone can gain access, you just need to send me a PM on the Rift Junkies Forums.

Now I don't know if the Cleric community would like something like what I put together for the Rogue and Warrior communities, but it seems to be gaining popularity in the 2 days it's been up and running.

If the community wants some like this, speak up. In order to make it up, I'll need someone to volunteer to moderate it for me. I really don't know the ins and outs of the Cleric Calling so I would need some help on the front making sure the forum is running on track.

So would this help the community? If so, post here and let me know what you think.

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum
    Laugh at our Webcomic Series
    Read the Patch Notes | Check out our Guides
    Stay Informed: Dev Tracker | Register for our Guild Database
    Rift Junkies is an Official Fansite of Rift: Planes of Telara

Are you the meta moderator of all the forums? Are you going to be as hostile towards people that disagree with you on your forums as you were on the PTS forums?

-Liang

Here I thought our long debate was a good one. Sorry you felt that way.

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    Here I thought our long debate was a good one. Sorry you felt that way.
    I don't mind a debate like that on a public forum. Getting into it with The Forum Owner is an entirely different matter.

-Liang

I would never ban anyone for having a different opinion. That's what forums are for, no?

When I say heavily moderated, I mean there will be rules to posting, no baseless predictions and essentially exclusive discussion for whatever the topic is. If you want to bring a point, back it up with parses or other data. I will delete useless threads, derailing posts in a thread etc.

A better signal to noise ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    I would never ban anyone for having a different opinion. That's what forums are for, no?

When I say heavily moderated, I mean there will be rules to posting, no baseless predictions and essentially exclusive discussion for whatever the topic is. If you want to bring a point, back it up with parses or other data. I will delete useless threads, derailing posts in a thread etc.

A better signal to noise ratio.
    The question is who decides what is a 'baseless prediction' right? It seems like you (by your own admission) are in a relatively poor place to make that distinction in a cleric based forum. I assume that's why you're asking for a community leader (of sorts) to moderate?

-Liang

Banned

I don't really see the point. We have open discussions on this board.

If it were "private" because it had developer involvement (active involvement, not 1 post every 2 weeks+), then it'd be more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Liang Nuren View Post
    The question is who decides what is a 'baseless prediction' right? It seems like you (by your own admission) are in a relatively poor place to make that distinction in a cleric based forum. I assume that's why you're asking for a community leader (of sorts) to moderate?

-Liang

A baseless prediction is creating a thread stating that whatever spec is the best spec for whatever in the game and then not backing it up with any parsing, theory, or credible evidence. If you want to start a thread, make sure you can back it up with reason. If you want to make predictions in a thread on another topic, by all means do it. Just make sure you're on topic.

Starting a thread should be for new ideas and discussions, not just random thoughts that you had last night.

But yes, I won't really be moderating much as I'm not any where near an expert cleric. Any moderating I'll be doing is clipping out threads that shouldn't of been started in the first place. For example:

New Thread: Ability XXX is broken by latest Patch!

That will be deleted (or merged) since there is a thread already dedicated to the latest patch and should go in there.

Ascendant

Parses are meaningful at times, but there are other times where parsing or hard data would show aboslutely nothing in regards to an ability change, especially in pvp environments where things are not scripted and far more situational. Case in point, raw HPS or DPS single target numbers are worthless in PvP when the thing that really matters is the ability to spike or counter a spike.

I bring this up, because if I were interested in joining and you told me my points werent valid in this situation... i would tell you to go **** yourself.
    Last edited by Covenn; 09-29-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    Irony - Pathiss

Rift Master

I don't see the point. With the removal of crit from healer builds and the work that's been done on inquisitor by Sokanon and tanks by Radak there's no theorycrafting left. Everything is known in detail.

Sigh.

Here's what I don't want happening when someone attempts to create a new Thread:
    Subject: Best Main Tank Spec In the Game from Patch 1.95
    Body:

Hey guys, here's this spec I was playing around with in Realm of the Fae Master Mode and it's pretty damn good. I haven't tested it in the Port Scion Raid yet, but it appears really cool. You can shield everyone and then you can use AOE dots to keep everyone up. What does everything think?

I don't have time to test it, could someone else try? It seems like a really neat idea.
    Instead, this person should be posting in a thread that is already talking about main tank healing in this current patch. Or other general threads or perhaps even in similar build threads.

Does that make sense?

I have no problem with speculation and discussion, thats what forums are for. But I don't want pointless threads popping up all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Valdis43 View Post
    I don't see the point. With the removal of crit from healer builds and the work that's been done on inquisitor by Sokanon and tanks by Radak there's no theorycrafting left. Everything is known in detail.
    That's fine by me. I'm just seeing if there is any community need for it. I've got 100s of folks that liked the idea for Rogues and Warriors and wanted to see if there was any sort of demand for it in this community.

So if there is no demand, it won't be created.

I for one would appreciate the effort if for no other reason than to remove so much of the unintelligible drivel that can be found here. I participated alot in the Druid forums at elitist jerks and it did alot for the community, so count me in.

Sunspots the Retired
    Once R8 Guardian Cleric of Seastone
    Proud Alumni of [breaking bads]

Observe my Past Glory in Video Format here!!

I heard the rogues were in favor of it because someone posted a top parsing build on the public forums where the game developers fixed it shortly after. So it seems like you are just trying to hide theorycrafting so the best builds make it to live.

I for one am content on theorycrafting here on the public forums. I've had little problems with bad information here besides a smalll amount of trolls and a handful of genuinely noobish people that dont understand mechanics at all

Cleric Tank

That's the very intent of an intelligently moderated forum though. To weed out the most basic of healing fundamental talk, trolling, and otherwise incorrect information. It holds posters to a standard that official forums were never meant for, and can suppress annoying forum activity like whining, inflaming, or looking for trion feedback. When it is done well it becomes far more informative than this can ever be, which benefits us all.

Sunspots the Retired
    Once R8 Guardian Cleric of Seastone
    Proud Alumni of [breaking bads]

Observe my Past Glory in Video Format here!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast