+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rift Junkies Think Tank Private Forums - Any Cleric Interest?

in lieu of making the forums private you would have to stick to a strict policing method like EJ does with someone almost constantly patrolling the threads and deleting posts/handing out 24 hour bans in order to keep the "crap" out of the threads. I like the idea of everyone being involved but unfortunatley "everyone" includes the people that make 80 page long threads with absolutely zero worth and a lot of qq.

O and i'm only promoting deleting information that is not correct and will lead other people to false assumptions and therefore more incorrect information. Your forums will be much better regarded if the community knows they can trust 99% of the information on them.
    Last edited by Maiska; 09-30-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sokanon View Post
    I think the Cleric community would enjoy all of the information in one place (i.e. Elitist Jerks). The only hangup has been the "private invite" thing, and I agree that is more than a little extreme. If the community is willing to work with me I would like to make it public, and perhaps add a few moderators (as 1 person moderating a public forum is insane).
    Not interested until it's public read (I rather strongly believe in free information). Be sure to bump this thread when that happens.

-Liang

RIFT Guide Writer

It is now officially public.

Sokanon how is simply copying across your current content in any way new or beneficial? How can you carry on the same discussion in two places at once? Do you intend to maintain your content here or in your new playground?

Additionally I fail to see how your guides can be considered theorycrafting in the first place, sure they may provoke some good discussions but it's those discussions that have the theorycrafting component, not the guides. Shouldn't these guides be considered Off Topic for a theorycrafting forum?

I note Riftjunkies has a place for guides, I suggest that they would be better placed there if you will no longer be maintaing that content here.

Kudos on having the veil of secrecy lifted, that is a sensible decision by the powers that be. I will be watching with some interest. May I suggest some comprehensive posting rules so contributors understand how you intend to moderate the forum?

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Bowler Hat View Post
    Sokanon how is simply copying across your current content in any way new or beneficial? How can you carry on the same discussion in two places at once? Do you intend to maintain your content here or in your new playground?
    -Actually the Inq guide is updated for 1.5 over there (not much has changed, just made some edits).
    -Copying current content is not necessarily beneficial except that it offers another place for the useful information at hand. It also offers a chance for theorycrafting to be done, and a place to start it on, instead of people coming and looking at a "blank" area.
    -I intend to maintain my contribution to the community in the best way possible, which will probably mean maintaining 2 different areas (the RiftJunkies allows for more serious discussions without all the dribble that finds its way here, in essence it serves to be more organized).

Additionally I fail to see how your guides can be considered theorycrafting in the first place, sure they may provoke some good discussions but it's those discussions that have the theorycrafting component, not the guides. Shouldn't these guides be considered Off Topic for a theorycrafting forum?
    -Again see above. My guides are by no means a "permanent" thing. A lot of great theorycrafting discussion has gone on in my threads, this will offer them a better area without all of the misc. stuff in between posts (in which it loses the sense of organization).

Kudos on having the veil of secrecy lifted, that is a sensible decision by the powers that be. I will be watching with some interest. May I suggest some comprehensive posting rules so contributors understand how you intend to moderate the forum?
    -The posting rules are listed in the forum. If you have a suggestion please feel free to post it into the appropriate area such as the "Policy" thread.
    Last edited by Sokanon; 09-30-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Shadowlander

Yes we need one , 3/4 of these post don't help . The ones that do get taken over like this one , or dont get sticky

Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    I'm not very familiar with the cleric community, but I would like to offer this to the community at large.

The other day I created, with the help of others, a "private forum" which I call the Think Tank. Essentially it's a highly moderated forum where people can theory craft and discuss changes. When I say private, I mean that your account must be flagged before you can get in. Anyone can gain access, you just need to send me a PM on the Rift Junkies Forums.

Now I don't know if the Cleric community would like something like what I put together for the Rogue and Warrior communities, but it seems to be gaining popularity in the 2 days it's been up and running.

If the community wants some like this, speak up. In order to make it up, I'll need someone to volunteer to moderate it for me. I really don't know the ins and outs of the Cleric Calling so I would need some help on the front making sure the forum is running on track.

So would this help the community? If so, post here and let me know what you think.
    I participated in that same lovely debate as Liang, but I find that this project as a whole has merit even if the Calling specific boards are lopsided in activity (Cleric is quite likely to be less active for reasons outlined in this thread). You can count on my support for the Cleric board.
    "You're right. Technically he has the right to cry about it. And I have the right to mock him for crying about something stupid." ~Bridgeburner
    "Try to hate other people less, you might enjoy life more." ~Tenet

73 Likes , 1 Infraction, Liked 228 posts, and counting...

It is now officially public.
    Well that didn't last long. I see the veil of secrecy has been dropped once more and these forums are no longer publicly accessible. This still appears to me to be little more than an account and traffic grab.

There are no altruistic motives in play here.

RIFT Guide Writer

Well that didn't last long. I see the veil of secrecy has been dropped once more and these forums are no longer publicly accessible. This still appears to me to be little more than an account and traffic grab.

There are no altruistic motives in play here.
    Can you not see it at the moment? If this is true, I doubt it was done on purpose. It might have to do with the related boards. I.E. if the Warrior/rogues wished to remain private, the Cleric board is classified in the same area, so permissions for one fall over into the others. I'll see what I can do about moving them.

Can you not see it at the moment? If this is true, I doubt it was done on purpose. It might have to do with the related boards. I.E. if the Warrior/rogues wished to remain private, the Cleric board is classified in the same area, so permissions for one fall over into the others. I'll see what I can do about moving them.
    The forums require me to register to read the "think tank" section

RIFT Guide Writer

The forums require me to register to read the "think tank" section
    I personally don't see an issue with registering?? It's not hard, and in case you wanted to post, you'd be able to.

I don't see any particular reason to remove the "registration", as it is not harming anything. For me personally, putting in any work whatsoever for a guide or theorycrafting, I would figure the community wouldn't mind putting in 2minutes of their time to register and view the work myself and others have taken a lot of time to do. You included Bowler. Personal opinion, but meh. I'll discuss it with Radak and see if its something we wish to do.

I personally don't see an issue with registering?? It's not hard, and in case you wanted to post, you'd be able to.

I don't see any particular reason to remove the "registration", as it is not harming anything. For me personally, putting in any work whatsoever for a guide or theorycrafting, I would figure the community wouldn't mind putting in 2minutes of their time to register and view the work myself and others have taken a lot of time to do. You included Bowler. Personal opinion, but meh. I'll discuss it with Radak and see if its something we wish to do.
    Registered access does not equal Public access, which is what you stated these forums would be. You even offerd up the shining beacon of ElitistJerks, whose forums are still going strong and are still publicly accessible.

In addition, none of the content will be indexed by Google which means it will be viewed by a lot less people and as a result open to far less participation. I have concerns about any endeavour that attempts to lock up information for no valid reason, particulalry when that same information is likely to end up as unattributed basis for a Rift Junkies article.

The total Forum post count and member count reveal an awful lot. I personally won't be participating, and will discourage participation, so long as the forums remain locked from public view. None of the other forums require registration to read.

Unless you can give me a sensible reason why this content should remain locked behind a registration form?

Also why is it somehow better off locked away on those boards when it is freely accessible here on these boards?

RIFT Guide Writer

I've always required users to register simply because it weeds out the bots that like to drop by and leave ****** messages on the boards.

I'm not the owner of the boards, so I can't change anything on a whim, merely moderate and make suggestions. I've already PMed Radak on the matter, and if we think it should be made fully public, we'll PM Draegan.

I've always required users to register simply because it weeds out the bots that like to drop by and leave ****** messages on the boards.
    I have no issue with moderated boards requiring users to register to post, it's registering to read that I find concerning.

Telaran

Super secret Cleric Masons!

What degree are you?!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast