+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rift Junkies Think Tank Private Forums - Any Cleric Interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunspots View Post
    I for one would appreciate the effort if for no other reason than to remove so much of the unintelligible drivel that can be found here. I participated alot in the Druid forums at elitist jerks and it did alot for the community, so count me in.
    I feel the same way. Having to sort through all the low levels asking for their best spec at level 8 is a pain.
    im in
    Oracle - Cleric of Clan of Shadows on Keenblade
    - Puri/Sent BiS Gear (Currently Outdated)
    - Inquisitor BiS Gear (Currently Outdated)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunspots View Post
    That's the very intent of an intelligently moderated forum though. To weed out the most basic of healing fundamental talk, trolling, and otherwise incorrect information. It holds posters to a standard that official forums were never meant for, and can suppress annoying forum activity like whining, inflaming, or looking for trion feedback. When it is done well it becomes far more informative than this can ever be, which benefits us all.
    This depends an awful lot on the intelligently moderated part actually holding true. What I've found is that intelligently moderated tends to turn into a circle jerk where nobody that has a dissenting opinion is allowed to express it.

-Liang

Ed: And given the discussion I had with the OP recently about whether or not Rogues needed additional boosts, I can only assume this is going to happen there. (No offense Draegan - I know it's never an intentional thing).
    Last edited by Liang Nuren; 09-29-2011 at 02:13 PM.

RIFT Guide Writer

The Think Tank Cleric area has been created. PM Draegan on the Riftjunkies website for access or email him at
    Draegan@riftjunkies.com .

Quote Originally Posted by Sokanon View Post
    The Think Tank Cleric area has been created. PM Draegan on the Riftjunkies website for access or email him at
    Draegan@riftjunkies.com .
    Is there any reason that the forum must be totally hidden instead of simply preventing people from posting there that have been approved? This strikes me as being engineered not to promote good discussion and learning.

-Liang

RIFT Guide Writer

That's a good suggestion Liang. I'll see what Draegan thinks about it. I think everyone should be able to at least read them, that way people are not left in the dark.

This seems like nothing more than a shameless grab for user accounts and traffic and doesn't appear rooted in any significant motive to better the cleric community. The fact that the moderator professes little familiarity with clerics is not encouraging, and the fact that the forum is not publicly visible or indexable by a search engine is farcical.

If you want to be ElitistJerks then be ElitistJerks, at least their forums are anonymously viewable and are indexed by search engines.

I personally don't think we can afford to spread our main contributors any thinner than they currently are, particularly now that there is so much work to redo.
    Last edited by Bowler Hat; 09-29-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Ascendant

I don't think it's that hard to find what you're looking for here or to participate in a decent discussion.

From what i've seen a few people that appear to be keen on this private forum don't really provide much in the way of meaningful debate anyway. You can take a great majority of their posts and easily identify the adoption of an insulting tone rather than any attempt to back up what they say, or debate or respond to legitimate points.

If it means these people just go somewhere else, that's fine with me but if any real influence develops as a result I don't see how it could be good for the game to have it in a place where a lot of people might not see it.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bowler Hat View Post
    This seems like nothing more than a shameless grab for user accounts and traffic and doesn't appear rooted in any significant motive to better the cleric community. The fact that the moderator professes little familiarity with clerics is not encouraging, and the fact that the forum is not publicly visible or indexable by a search engine is farcical.

If you want to be ElitistJerks then be ElitistJerks, at least their forums are anonymously viewable and are indexed by search engines.

I personally don't think we can afford to spread our main contributors any thinner than they currently are, particularly now that there is so much work to redo.
    Sokanon is running the cleric section, I'll have nothing to do with it content wise.

I will eventually make them public, but this is an attempt to create a community and all I ask is that you ask to have your account flagged. In order to create a stable community I need users who are willing and serious to participate. Once there is a stable foundation the forums will be open to the public.

This is certainly not an account grab or I would make it completely public. This is an earnest attempt to create a more moderated community based around serious and intellectual discussion. If you do not wish to participate that is your choice. I originally had only the intention of creating a Rogue section because it's what I'm interested in, but the feedback and the desire started to come from other callings so that's what I'm doing here.

Again, if anyone does not want to participate that is fine.

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum
    Laugh at our Webcomic Series
    Read the Patch Notes | Check out our Guides
    Stay Informed: Dev Tracker | Register for our Guild Database
    Rift Junkies is an Official Fansite of Rift: Planes of Telara

This whole idea just really stinks of trying to get hits on a website that has terrible information on it, basically if you use riftjunkies to get your info, its probably wrong.

And exactly how is the forum "private" if anyone can get into it just with a pm?

And who do you have in mind to moderate this forum that will be able to tell what is valid information and what isn't, because I would moderate the hell out of half your site lol.
    Orangejello - Cleric Tank
    5/8 Infernal Dawn

Well obviously you're not invited.

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum

sure I am, I just need to pm him, I dont even need to play a cleric, or Rift at all.

Ok constructive feedback time:

1) Private forums are a good idea but you guys scared a lot of people off your site with bad information and not keeping things updated for the first 4 months of rift.( not sure if its been fixed as I'm one of the people that doesn't use the site anymore)

2) If you are going to promote private forums, make them private with a thread devoted to invites for the forums. 5 posts by diff players for an inv = an inv. I understand you initially need to find people for the forums so you have the initial rank of invites give "view only" permission for the majority of the forums and have poeple post some kind of info about themselves and their experience with rift or an SS of their screen. This shouldn't be about anonymity anyways as it reduces both responsibility and the overall worth of your forums.

3) You NEED/MUST HAVE/ARE REQUIRED TO USE a very knowledgable person in charge of moderating the forums, they need to be able to read a thread, instantly understand it, and know what information is wrong/needs testing/correct and they need to delete/stimulate posts/reinforce the information.

4) The best possible thing you could get for the forums is someone in charge with a working relationship with rift devs to the point of if you send them an email/pm listing the highlights or top concerns of the seperate communities every few weeks they will actually respond to them. i.e look at boubouille from MMO-Champion, the WoW devs respect him because he helps them and makes their job easier.

If you guys could get something like this up and running then you would find the community fully behind you, and yes I know its not easy but if it were then what the hell would be the point?
    Last edited by Maiska; 09-30-2011 at 07:09 AM.

You're crazy man.

aaaand theres the end of your attempt at being a decent website.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Maiska View Post
    Ok constructive feedback time:

2) If you are going to promote private forums, make them private with a thread devoted to invites for the forums. 5 posts by diff players for an inv = an inv. I understand you initially need to find people for the forums so you have the initial rank of invites give "view only" permission for the majority of the forums and have poeple post some kind of info about themselves and their experience with rift or an SS of their screen. This shouldn't be about anonymity anyways as it reduces both responsibility and the overall worth of your forums.
    -I'll see what I can do about this. I would also like to see (at least the Cleric section) a more open discussion similar to Elitistjerks (as has been mentioned).

3) You NEED/MUST HAVE/ARE REQUIRED TO USE a very knowledgable person in charge of moderating the forums, they need to be able to read a thread, instantly understand it, and know what information is wrong/needs testing/correct and they need to delete/stimulate posts/reinforce the information.
    -I'm currently the mod of the Cleric side of things. I've moderated several public forums before including eqcleric.com, Funcom's forums for Age of Conan, and a few Vanguard websites.
    -I may disagree with some methods people use (i.e. the macro thread), but as long as the information (i.e. the macros are correct/would work) I'm not going to change anything.
    -I believe in freedom of information as long as it is correct (backed by testing (parses,mechanics, etc).

4) The best possible thing you could get for the forums is someone in charge with a working relationship with rift devs to the point of if you send them an email/pm listing the highlights or top concerns of the seperate communities every few weeks they will actually respond to them. i.e look at boubouille from MMO-Champion, the WoW devs respect him because he helps them and makes their job easier.
    -I've done this with Zinbik before and have never received a response on suggestions and/or questions. If I receive feedback at least once a week, I would continue to be in touch with the Devs, but most of them are unresponsive.

If you guys could get something like this up and running then you would find the community fully behind you, and yes I know its not easy but if it were then what the hell would be the point?
    -I think the Cleric community would enjoy all of the information in one place (i.e. Elitist Jerks). The only hangup has been the "private invite" thing, and I agree that is more than a little extreme. If the community is willing to work with me I would like to make it public, and perhaps add a few moderators (as 1 person moderating a public forum is insane).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast