+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Cleric PVP ... what am I missing?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default Cleric PVP ... what am I missing?

    So, I played cleric up to 49 and loved it ... totally destroyed the whole way, in PvE and PvP.

    I should say, while I don't mind healing when necessary, I prefer to dps.

    DPSing as a cleric in PvP at 50 just isn't working for me ... I must be missing something / doing something wrong. I mean, I know I'm only rank 2, but still it seems lacking.

    I'm also not really seeing much in the way of specs on the forums for pvp dps.

    What builds are working for dps clerics out there?

    Help!

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Caba probably the only DPS spec for cleric I would suggest in PvP, the aoe stun/silence/snare, maelstrom, AOE burst etc can help your team. However with the new change incoming to PVP and valor I wouldn't waste my time on trying caba in lowbe gear, go healer and help win your games to progress both yourself and your faction faster.
    Last edited by Zeradin; 09-01-2011 at 12:05 AM.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1869198&dateline=1316  993248

  3. #3
    RIFT Guide Writer usman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,319

    Default

    There are various builds that work, but non of them are effective without very good gear. Cleric DPS just isn't good enough until you have high SP and Crit.

    Better to heal and help the proper dps classes to do well until your running at least R6+ gear or equivalent.

    Getting behind a good warrior and keeping him up is far more effective than letting him die and then dying yourself as well.

    But to answer your question I run 2 pvp builds -

    Cabicar 51 cab, 11 just, 4 inq.

    Healer 20 sent, 20 just, 26 warden.

    There are other builds that work too, like sent/warden/templar.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.


  4. #4
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usman View Post
    Better to heal and help the proper dps classes to do well until your running at least R6+ gear or equivalent.

    Getting behind a good warrior and keeping him up is far more effective than letting him die and then dying yourself as well.
    I always hate these kinds of responses. "A good cleric heals." just like a good woman stays in the kitchen. Valor is even more important for a healer to pvp rank and gear even more important for a healing cleric.

    It seems that to do decent dps as a cleric you have to go very deep into one of the dps souls (maybe all the way to 51) since they really load the damage with the passive boosts starting at around 36. It isn't like the other callings where you can pick a little of one and little of some other stuff and have functionality.

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer usman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by penumbralcat View Post
    I always hate these kinds of responses. "A good cleric heals." just like a good woman stays in the kitchen. .
    Hate the statement all you like, It doesn't make it any less true.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.


  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I agree, until you are geared enough to get in a R8 warriors face, stay heals. Your best dps builds are melee and frankly you cant do that in pvp until you can survive 2-3 hits :P

    Personally I run a 51 ward, 15 temp to heal and I do ok. Depends on the group makeup.

    I'm rank 5 and prolly shouldn't run melee dps but its too much fun lol.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usman View Post
    Hate the statement all you like, It doesn't make it any less true.
    The only thing true about it is that it is a statement. It is the kind of self serving statement made by a warrior that wants the guilt someone into heal botting them at all times.

    The OP should try a dps spec and see for themself what sort of mileage they can get.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched KDM255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    289

    Default

    I would also suggest a duracell build (shaman/just/inquis). Not only can you dps some but you can also do some pretty good group healing. I am actually able to out heal regular healers as my DoL can hit for up to 2k a person. But then again I am also a rank 6 so my survivability is pretty good. I have had people try to attack me cause they see I am healing but run away once they realize I hit back. Also, cabbie is only good if you have the gear for it and the valor. I ran this spec last night with another cabbie and it is pretty OP. The two of us combined did about 1.1 million damage in BoPS. I have the screen shot too. :-P


    Laerke 50 Cleric Rank 8
    Gabriella 50 Warrior Rank Nubbins
    4/4 DH 4/4 GP 5/5 GSB 4/4 RoS 1/11 HK

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeradin View Post
    Caba probably the only DPS spec for cleric I would suggest in PvP, the aoe stun/silence/snare, maelstrom, AOE burst etc can help your team. However with the new change incoming to PVP and valor I wouldn't waste my time on trying caba in lowbe gear, go healer and help win your games to progress both yourself and your faction faster.
    What? Inquisitor is a much better PvP spec imo

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PapaHodge View Post
    What? Inquisitor is a much better PvP spec imo
    It depends largely on which warfront you're in. If there's any chance for AoE to be useful, Cab will absolutely wreck things. If it's a lot of small skirmishes, Inq is likely the better bet.

    As for the OP, I haven't seen any cleric melee builds in PvP that are useful - I run healing (45warden/21Temp/0Sent) because I like to win, but if you *must* damage...I'd go with Inquisicar or Cabalist or Cabalicar. I can't provide links to zam because it won't load properly at work, but if you look around the builds are out there.

    As for healing, I used to think the points in justicar for 15% dmg reduction were great...except your heals are hit pretty hard by going that far in. I wouldn't bother with Justicar in a healing spec honestly, especially with the valor changes. Run 51 warden, or some variation of warden/sent or warden/templar.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Egeus View Post
    It depends largely on which warfront you're in. If there's any chance for AoE to be useful, Cab will absolutely wreck things. If it's a lot of small skirmishes, Inq is likely the better bet.

    As for the OP, I haven't seen any cleric melee builds in PvP that are useful - I run healing (45warden/21Temp/0Sent) because I like to win, but if you *must* damage...I'd go with Inquisicar or Cabalist or Cabalicar. I can't provide links to zam because it won't load properly at work, but if you look around the builds are out there.

    As for healing, I used to think the points in justicar for 15% dmg reduction were great...except your heals are hit pretty hard by going that far in. I wouldn't bother with Justicar in a healing spec honestly, especially with the valor changes. Run 51 warden, or some variation of warden/sent or warden/templar.
    Cab--> More Damage
    Inq--> More KB's

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PapaHodge View Post
    Cab--> More Damage
    Inq--> More KB's
    I'nno! I've been in some whitefall escalations where a cabalist guildy of mine had 20+ kbs, same in scion. If it's a giant AoE clusterf***, cab will still do very well.

    Inq is better at picking people off at low health, though, for sure.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Egeus View Post
    I'nno! I've been in some whitefall escalations where a cabalist guildy of mine had 20+ kbs, same in scion. If it's a giant AoE clusterf***, cab will still do very well.

    Inq is better at picking people off at low health, though, for sure.

    I am definatly not knocking cabalist. I run Cab in WF's more frequently than Inq. Also, i have noticed if you have more cab's or SC's in your group you seem to get more KB's.

    I think its because if your playing cab and no one else on your team is heavy AoE spec, than the opposing team is going to easily heal right through your damage with a single warden.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts