+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Cabalist/Inquisitor

Soulwalker

Default Help with Cabalist/Inquisitor

I have been mainly pouring points into cabalist with a few in inquisitor. I feel like i have no real rotation other than to throw vex/heretic on single mobs and then spam decay, obliterate, and then tyranny if in groups.
    I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to be playing. I'm at level 22 and any guidance on the class and good builds would be really appreciated. General tactics, rotations, and builds.

Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulKyle View Post
    I have been mainly pouring points into cabalist with a few in inquisitor. I feel like i have no real rotation other than to throw vex/heretic on single mobs and then spam decay, obliterate, and then tyranny if in groups.
    I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to be playing. I'm at level 22 and any guidance on the class and good builds would be really appreciated. General tactics, rotations, and builds.

Please help!
    Being primarily cabalist at your level would be difficult for pve. I would suggest going 14 points into inq if you choose to stay as a caster. Use vex to round up some mobs and soul drain to drop them. Start with 3 and learn your limitations.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10odj.VzV.Vxkb

There are other cleric specs that are great for leveling (unless you particularly want to be a caster) but they are melee.

Soulwalker

Your best bet is to just hold off on the Cabalist until all the changes go through with 1.4. After that, it will feel more fluid....or so I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by Berger151 View Post
    Your best bet is to just hold off on the Cabalist until all the changes go through with 1.4. After that, it will feel more fluid....or so I'm told.
    How is a 40% death damage reduction being viewed as an improvement to the line?

You think because they added spell power to a few that they are improved? No, the death damage bonus that is being taken away from the very same spells is greater than the SP bonus they are given. All the spells in cabalist line do DEATH DAMAGE ! Any spell that is not listed on that passive is being nerfed by 40%.

The only people saying this is going to be way better are people that had no idea how to play it. Therefore, they have no idea what they are losing.

Learn Inq if you wish to stay as a cleric caster. Cabalist could be your second soul. Going high cabalist post 1.4 is only gaining spell power on spells that suck. Once your high enough to get obliterate and tyranny, there is no point going higher. They will hit the same as if you were 15 points in, or 51 points in.

Perhaps the non-instant spells that are receiving these buffs wont be a total loss. But compared to the spec now, it's far less effective against groups.
    Last edited by Gericho; 07-26-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Please help!
    As noted, there are major functional changes coming to Cabalist. I'm not going to debate them. Also as noted, it may be easier to make Inquisitor primary until soul drain. The roughly first 12 points in that really help. Just focus on the traits that pump spell damage, get the armor of devotion and the talent that lets Vex heal you back. You should be able to pull off a decent 12 in Inq and 16 in Cab, though if you have Druid you need one more level to pull it off.

As far as how it plays, you're doing it right. Adding in more points in Inq gives you Soul Drain to stack on top of Oblit/Tyranny. Don't forget you do have other tools though. There's Distorted Shadows for single targets and Bound Fate for small groups. (No I don't use Shadow's Touch ... ever.)

Let's say instead you really want to remain Cabalist primary *now* and I leveled this way so I know what I'm talking about. Here's the thing, Cab really is focused on AoE damage so it's the type of soul where you want to pull 2 or 3 weaker foes to you and then aoe nuke them. Inq is there to pump up your damage and give you diversity in your attacks. Oh and what's your third soul? Hopefully Purifier because at your level the 0 point self shield is very helpful. (Option 2: Druid with 2 points for its self-shield, plus you get the pet to take a hit for you.)

That's basically all there is at your level. It's not a very "rotation" oriented build. I find I'm tweaking my tactics often based on how many foes I want to engage at once. Don't forget to use your sigils to snare as necessary.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Gericho View Post

You think because they added spell power to a few that they are improved? No, the death damage bonus that is being taken away from the very same spells is greater than the SP bonus they are given. All the spells in cabalist line do DEATH DAMAGE ! Any spell that is not listed on that passive is being nerfed by 40%.

The only people saying this is going to be way better are people that had no idea how to play it. Therefore, they have no idea what they are losing.

Learn Inq if you wish to stay as a cleric caster. Cabalist could be your second soul. Going high cabalist post 1.4 is only gaining spell power on spells that suck. Once your high enough to get obliterate and tyranny, there is no point going higher. They will hit the same as if you were 15 points in, or 51 points in.

Perhaps the non-instant spells that are receiving these buffs wont be a total loss. But compared to the spec now, it's far less effective against groups.
    I'm not listening to somebody that doesn't know how percentages work for spec advice, and I encourage all others to do the same.

100 dps with 40% increase gives me 140 dps

NOW! Riddle me this: what is 40% of 140 dps?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinjah View Post
    I'm not listening to somebody that doesn't know how percentages work for spec advice, and I encourage all others to do the same.

100 dps with 40% increase gives me 140 dps

NOW! Riddle me this: what is 40% of 140 dps?
    Who was giving you advice? Are you the OP? Start your own thread and stop trolling little kid. I didn't break down how percentages work. I simply said we are losing the 40% bonus to death damage. Way to hijack a thread of someone needing help.
    I love little kids with a feminine name like yours. You like my ride?
    Last edited by Gericho; 07-26-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Soulwalker

Awesome. I will try out going inquisitor. thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eye on Cabalist to see what happens in the future.

Soulwalker

Also, is there any advice for once I start getting later levels? or is rounding up with vex followed by soul draining pretty much the way to go most of the leveling time?

Also, is there any advice for once I start getting later levels? or is rounding up with vex followed by soul draining pretty much the way to go most of the leveling time?
    You can use tyranny, or circle of oblivion once your high enough to get it to finish off your crowd of mobs.
    Her is a link to a unfinished project showing cab/inq pveing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWunuhsCpDU

Soulwalker

You can use tyranny, or circle of oblivion once your high enough to get it to finish off your crowd of mobs.
    Her is a link to a unfinished project showing cab/inq pveing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWunuhsCpDU
    Thanks! What kind of things should I be putting points into also? Should my third soul be sentinel or purifier? I have heard both.

Thanks! What kind of things should I be putting points into also? Should my third soul be sentinel or purifier? I have heard both.
    To each his own regarding that aspect. I personally use sent for Healing breath.

Plane Touched

So tired of watching you complain about buffs and a seriously needed rework for Cabalist.

SS of your gear or I call Shenanigans. I dont think you're even rank 6 or have any gear. If you did you would have played cleric enough to know how borked Cab was.
    Last edited by Kalevala; 07-26-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Rude comments

Plane Touched

Who was giving you advice? Are you the OP? Start your own thread and stop trolling little kid. I didn't break down how percentages work. I simply said we are losing the 40% bonus to death damage. Way to hijack a thread of someone needing help.
    I love little kids with a feminine name like yours. You like my ride?
    funny thing is I have tested Cab and it seemed to hit as hard as ever.

A 40% nerf? Please go away.

Sorry there bucko, kiddo but if it was a 40% nerf I would have noticed it considering im in the BEST gear in the game currently.

You're constant exaggerating and stretching of the truth is so irritating.
    Last edited by Kalevala; 07-26-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Rude Comments

You're is supposed to be Your! Geez

Nothing is exaggerated, the bonus to death damage is being nerfed. Don't let these kids fool you. Get out your calculator and do the math.
    And if your 51 cabalist, 14 inq, your SD is nerfed as well.
    Last edited by Gericho; 07-26-2011 at 06:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread