+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spell Crit? Melee Hit? What?

Soulwalker

Default Spell Crit? Melee Hit? What?

I am a 38 cleric.

I currently use this build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00dnr.vxz.ex0xzbo.mho

I was told that it does decent damage, while providing the useful passive healing, and random group heals if needed--which it does.

However my question is: what is spell crit? Or melee crit? Does spell crit mean my abilities crit, even though they are melee abilities? Or does melee crit do that? Can someone spell out the difference between the two for me?

The person that gave me this build said to concentrate on INT, WIS, and Spellcrit--however in the Shaman tree there are a few things that increase my melee crit chance, which confuses me more. Or a few with "with crits from melee attack abilities"..The terminology is just confusing to me.

Also, what if I put a few more points into Justicar for Righteous Mandate for those tank heals? Is that viable? Or no?
    Last edited by Jalia; 07-26-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Melee crit makes PHYSICAL abilities crit. Massive Blow, Crushing Blow, things like that.

Spell Crit, on the other hand, makes magical abilities crit. Everything from your Inq/Justicar trees.

But, as a melee cleric, your Spellpower, Spell crit, and Focus (chance to hit) get translated into Attack Power, Physical Crit, and Hit Chance automatically.

So you can focus on Spell-type attributes.

Soulwalker

OOOH! I get it now! Thanks so much!

Plane Touched

you could try you know, reading the tooltip of your root abilities in shaman and justicar

Soulwalker

Is Righteous Mandate worth getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalia View Post
    Is Righteous Mandate worth getting?
    I use RM a *lot*.

If I could, I'd like to make some suggestions and re-work your build (of which I just noticed, you're only spending 38 points and at level 29 on):

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...V.Exb0zMc.xuzo

This build is primarily a DPS role that showers yourself and the group with some light to moderate healing, but it could also off-tank if needed, with a little bit of buffing and some other utility.

1) I've added another 7 points to Justicar, which is all you would ever need for this build. You didn't need the Armor of Virtue as you won't be main tanking. Life's Devotion makes Salvation shine, Reparation extends it to the group, and Healer's Creed makes your new Doctrines even more efficient than they were. Bolt of Radiance is a great ranged attack/Conviction builder, and lots of party members and a lot of your own attacks will benefit greatly from Censure, which also builds Convictions.

2) I've re-arranged some of the stuff in Shaman and bumped it up 4 more points to 23. You now have 5/5 in Unyielding, and 1 in Glacial Shield (this is great prep before a tough fight, or if you need a few moments to fire off several heals).

One of the best re-ordering of your points I feel I can suggest is that I dropped all 5 out of Long Memory. First of all, Massive Blow is awesome but with this new build you will never need to use Crushing Blow. Secondly, as awesome as Massive Blow is, it's BIG NUMBERS awesome - but Lightning Hammer is sooo much better. Lastly, Long Memory caused Crushing Blow to have a 30% chance to reset Massive Blow... I'll show you some sexier numbers and hopefully convert you:

At level 38 the Hammer deals around 52 Physical damage + 61 Air damage over 6 seconds. The Air damage is increased by 43% to 87 from 4 points in Stormborn + Censure's debuff bonus on the target. The Physical damage is increased by 10% to 57 from Hammer of Virtue + Dauntless Courage. You can get all of this bonus damage every 6 seconds once the Hammer cools down.

Compare that to the level 36 version of Massive Blow you are using - a 10% bonus on it's base average Physical damage of 93 is 9, so a total of 102 base damage. That's only every 15 seconds. And you have to use a Crushing Blow, a below average melee ability, to have a 30% chance to reset it's cooldown. Frozen Embrace, Brutalize, and Call of Ice definitely make Massive Blow more competitive later on, but that's still 7 points and several levels away from you (and Call of Ice really blows up if you dump a lot more points that you'll be able to into Shaman), while Stormborn you can get right now.

Also, the bonus damage from Stormborn is applied to every Jolt you do (which should be a ton) and much later on, all the bonus damage from Eye of the Storm if you get it.

Hope that's convincing enough! I also added 2 points to Favored of the Valnir, as you'll be getting a ton of heals, direct and indirect.

3) The biggest change to the build is this one: why Inquisitor over Druid? So far 2 of your Souls are melee and survival based, and then it goes off in this ranged DPS spell direction. Granted, Inner Focus is great for your damage spells (not melee abilities though) and Fanatic's Faith is awesome all around, but points in Castigation and Armor of Devotion seems quite off.

Instead I switched you to Druid - which combos amazingly with Shaman and Justicar. You've now got even more Attack Power for all of your melee abilities through Strength of Earth, Spirit of the Hunter increases your Critical Hit chance for everything - melee and spells - and Savage Force make your ranged Bombard and Eruption of Life do 25% more damage. The last point in Druid is up to you. I put it in Balm of the Woods, but due to Justicar you don't need it. You're also free to try two utility/control spells, Slumber or Grim Silence. Both are highly recommend, but situational. You'll want 16 points in Druid to even get to the root ability of Eruption of Life.

So there you are, 16/23/11. As you level, I'd keep pumping points into Shaman, with any extras over to Druid until you get Crag Hammer at 18. Stop there. Your level 50 build could look something like this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...Eeb0tMshk.xuzo

Hope this helps, and good luck.
    Last edited by Kithias; 07-26-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    Azrune, 50 Cleric - Kithias, 50 Mage - Pilander, 34 Rogue - Tecton, 33 Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Liang Nuren View Post
    I use RM a *lot*.
    One of the best and most used skill. Great to put on the main or tank or your main dps (if he the MT already has one)

@ OP: your spec shows for lvl 29. For lvl 39, this is what I use, and will NOT change it: lvll 39
    Where's the Auction House to buy more DPS for my cleric?

I knew I would forget something. Here are some macros that go along with the builds I posted:

Name: Heal Self
    #show Balm of the Woods
    suppressmacrofailures
    target self
    cast Doctrine of Bliss
    cast Balm of the Woods
    target lasttarget

Name: Melee
    #show Lightning Hammer
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Jolt
    cast Fated Blow
    cast Glory of the Chosen
    cast Censure
    cast Lightning Hammer
    cast Eruption of Life
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Strike of Judgment
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Bombard

(having Bolt and Bombard at the bottom means they only fire off if you're out of melee range... everything else after Glory of the Chosen goes down the list, unless something above it cools off first, and the three non-GCD abilities before Censure fire off as soon as they can be executed)

Name: Mana
    #show Ageless Ice
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Ageless Ice
    cast Fae Hammer

Name: Shield
    #show Glacial Shield
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Glacial Shield
    cast Shield of Oak

Soulwalker

This is so much more than I could have ever imagined for advice, thank you so much everyone! This is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Liang Nuren View Post
    I use RM a *lot*.
    This is a troll. There's no reason to pick up RM while leveling.
    I sometimes get things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorjon View Post
    This is a troll. There's no reason to pick up RM while leveling.
    Hahahaha, I was tempted to post something like that, you saved me the effort. I've never used RM in a leveling build, I do have it on my full Justicar build. It's so group or duo specific (granted, you may find yourself in a lot of those due to Rifts, with guildies, or if you happen to love running dungeons) I left it out as well. Clerics in my guild that dabble in Justicar do swear by it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithias View Post
    Name: Shield
    #show Glacial Shield
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Glacial Shield
    cast Shield of Oak
    I would note on this that Glacial Shield and Shield of Oak are mutually exclusive, but do not share a cooldown. So basically, be careful if you do decide to use this macro (though, Glacial Shield is better than SoO, so it'll be the preferred one between the two anyway).

+ Reply to Thread