Closed Thread

Thread: Caster DPS Cleric (Inq/Cab/sent)

Default Caster DPS Cleric (Inq/Cab/sent)

I am still new to Rift, been playing about a week after the free trial, and I am enjoying the Caster DPS Cleric.

I am level 22 and this is my build so far:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00doG.qxkboz.V0Vk

I used to play WoW (quit totally about two years ago). I have been reading a lot and I understand the Duracell Cleric is "THE WAY" to go for leveling. But that really kicks in after level 30 (from what I understand)

I am doing quests and soloing for the most part. I have built a Warden/Sent healing spec for the rare chance that I get to go in an instance to heal.

Anyhow, I am looking at getting the most out of this spec (I don't want to be a tank cleric or melee cleric).
    Here is my casting priority for single targets:
    Dark Water (usually to pull)
    Vex (have it macro with Impede)
    Sanction Heretic
    BoD
    Decay
    Harsh Discipline (if need HP)
    Aggressive renewal (if need mana)
    Oblierate (if off CD and full stacked)
    BoJ

Other than the vex/impede macro, I don't have any casting macros. Any advice?

Thanks

Just a little note. Whatever advice you get now may be obsolete in a few weeks.

yeah, but I hope to be closer to 50 in a couple weeks. Any help would be appreciated

Duracell will be your preferred way once you try it even now. At 50 you will need to switch roles based on the situation. You will be surprised at how you need to change from Dps to healer depending on your raid group's capabilities. After that it's all down to getting the PVP points, ranks, gear to determine who can survive more, and of course, skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Star View Post
    Duracell will be your preferred way once you try it even now. At 50 you will need to switch roles based on the situation. You will be surprised at how you need to change from Dps to healer depending on your raid group's capabilities. After that it's all down to getting the PVP points, ranks, gear to determine who can survive more, and of course, skill.
    Yeah, I just have a thing about melee clerics. If I wanted to beat stuff up with my hands I'd be a warrior or rogue. Switching from DPS to Healer is not a big deal, I just don't like melee (or PVP fot that matter)

Yeah I'm trying to find a caster cleric offensive role, rather then melee

I am up to 26 now (been going slow, trying to explore the game and not rush through it)

My spec is this (I know I have wasted a few points, but I don't want to pay for another respec to fix a couple points) http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00doG.qxkboz.V0Vk

I haven't done any hard parsing but I feel once I get my DoT's in I am putting out a respectable amount of damage.

Here is my single target rotation:
    Dark Water (usually to pull)
    Vex (have it macro with Impede)
    Spiritual Deficiency
    Sanction Heretic
    BoD (only with L&D proc)
    BoJ (if L&D didn't proc, and if it procs
    Decay
    Harsh Discipline (if need HP)
    Aggressive renewal (if need mana)
    Oblierate (if off CD and full stacked)
    BoJ

At this level I rarely get past the Decay, or if I do it takes just one tic of the DoT's to kill the target.

I can (and have) taken on a few single elites one on one that are around my level from rifts and lived, but I did need to keep a close eye on my HP and pop a health pot. But when I get attacked by some hard hitting single mobs I can die (like the Fleshfiend for the intro "epic story" quests in Iron Fortress, I can't beat it solo yet because he hits me so hard and my DoT's don't have a chance to establish)

I do take on a few AOE packs (Shadow's touch, Tyranny, and Obliv with a spam vex on each target are nice) and like watching mobs fall down all around me.

This spec isn't a big cast big boom spec. I can't quickly blow things away, but I can do a lot and I am having fun (which is the key, right?)

I am not on test so I can't compare how this will change in 1.4. So I guess I will play it as I see it.
    Last edited by Gabbath; 07-17-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Soulwalker

Don't forget Soul Drain for aoe packs! ^^

I tried to do something similar when I first started, and I found it didn't work...at least for me.

I will list a few potential problems..

1. Inqusitor and Cabalist do not work well together. Sure, the passive spell boosts work OK, but the skills themselves are mutually independant.
    You need to use cabalist skills to get the most out of cabalist, and you need to use Inquisitor skills to get the most out of inquisitor.
    My advice there is to pick one of the souls and go with it, rather than try to mix the two. Alternatively, make 2 builds, one with Cab and one with Inquisitor, and play them until you decide which one you like more.
    I think trying to mesh both is less effective than maxing one of the two souls.

2. AoE is a great way to grind, but NOT if you're squishy. You'll find yourself trying to get your spells off before your HP reaches 0 a lot. If you have to keep healing yourself to remain standing, you are not DPSing, and that is a very inefficient and frustrating way to grind, too.
    Don't be squishy.
    Put some Justicar in your build, and round up the mobs and AoE them. Be your own tank. You can use Soul Drain or Tyranny to beat down the gang of mobs without worrying about healing yourself.
    Also, with Justicar, a % of the damage you do heals you at the same time.
    Justicar also gives you an AoE melee attack, and a mana regenerating skill that regens mana with melee attacks. Saves a lot of pot drinking and down time.

3. I personally found Inquisitor much better than cab. Soul Drain does tons more damage than Tyranny, and vex is just super usefull for pulling mobs, DPSing, and healing yourself at the same time. You may be more comfortable with Cabalist...this is just my personal opinion.

Anyway, this is just food for thought. I now love Justicar, and advocate for it all the time in different builds, but I discovered Justicar trying to solve the problems I had with the very same type of grind build you are working on.

By the way, I am totally a caster. I hate melee...but it is nice to have when I need it. Justicar has some niced ranged attacks that compliment other casting DPS skills.
    Last edited by Vihar; 07-18-2011 at 07:03 AM.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Rift Master

Default spec

Dark water is junk, don't use it. Eventually you'll probably want to switch the third soul to justicar and take 8 points to get some decent healing. I suggest you use this rotation.

Bolt of depravity (best to use long cast to pull)
    Spiritual deficiency
    Sanction heretic
    Vex
    Bolt of judgement or Decay/obliterate or BoD instant if up. Agg renewal if you need mana.

You need to take symbol of corruption when you can. Its going to be hard to kill elites unless you go further into justicar to pick up the parry and damage reduction talents. I used a second role for that.

Rift Disciple

you'll never die with this build, you'll destroy everything in your path, and you'll keep everyone you like alive.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00drj.Vxkb.VuMo.V0h

the key is all the life based attacks that keep your doctrines up w/o trying, and the health return you(and everyone else) gets from the damage you do, you can pull huge hordes of bad guys to yourself and then destroy them and end the fight with full health.

you have 2 ways to recharge your mana.

4 insta long range life attacks, 2 close up melee life attacks, 1 long cast life attack.

1 insta self heal, 1 insta anybody heal, 1 always ready-castable anybody heal, 1 insta 10 person group heal.

and of course, soul drain, for huge aoe dmg.

i used that build while i leveled and i did great everywhere i went.

Rift Disciple

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00dre.Vxkb.VuM.Vh

An alternative to the cookie cutter duracell build. This one is ranged, but is not afraid to get up close and dirty. Not squishy as long as you keep vex up for normal open world stuff and keep up the damage.

Sanction Heretic + Bolt of Radiance recharge your conviction and you shouldn't need more then that... to keep up Doctrine of Bliss.... and if you need more, you are in over your head.

You only need at most 11 or 12 points in Justicar. 11 for solo and 12 for Reparation/party.
    Warden, you don't need more points, but if you want a cleanse, its 2 more points.

Rest of the points should go into Inquisitor... progressing along this line...
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...kdgx0qz.VuM.Vh
    You may or may not have some mana troubles, your choice to put into that or not.

Customize it to fit your play style, if you wish to use Bolt of Judgment over Waterjet, then forget putting points into warden, the 3rd slot could be filled with 0 points Sentinal, Purifier, Warden, Templar or maybe even Druid for the cruddy pet...

For reference, the Warden point placement synergizes w/ the Justicar heals and the instant cast damage spells I mostly use.

thanks for the suggestions!

Rift Disciple

i think casting 3 insta's is better than casting a 1.5 second cast spell and an insta.

you get 3 convictions instead of 2 and you do 1/3more damage.

for a pve pull you go 1.5 second cast bolt of judgement(inq) then insta sanction heretic(inq) then insta banish(sent) then insta life's vengeance(sent) then insta bolt of radiance(just) , you'll have a dead mob and 4 convictions built up when u do that, And the first insta u cast should be just about off cool down.

for pvp you can rotate thru just your insta life based attacks and spam the group aoe heal "doctrine of loyalty" and self heal when needed.
    not a good idea to stand still in pvp, keep moving and casting.

until you get good pvp gear later on as a 50, you might want to consider a balanced just/inq/sent build
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00....AuMo0x.E0xzbk
    that last life based insta from justicar is a good one, sovereignty.

once you get some decent valor from pvp gear you can loose the points in justicar and make inquisitor stronger, drop to 12 points in just.
    something like this
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...qz.VuMo.E0x0bo

Closed Thread