+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Melee DPS AP or SP?

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    62

    Default Melee DPS AP or SP?

    I am wondering whether to slot the AP or SP trinket from Codex?
    Ap gives 250 ap but SP gives only 120
    However, for cookie cutter dps spec, am i losing out because a lot of the spells are not using AP?

    more to the point- how do you know if an ability is AP or SP dependent?
    Last edited by Dawntreader; 06-25-2011 at 03:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    401

    Default

    If you read the description for the skill "Faith in Action" you'll notice that SP translates directly into AP when using a melee cleric soul.

    You should still be stacking SP/SC.

  3. #3
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    62

    Default

    sorry you misunderstand.
    I have a choice- either 250ap or 120sp. purely for melee dps in cookie cutter.
    which do i go for? nad how do i know which abilities use AP?

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawntreader View Post
    sorry you misunderstand.
    I have a choice- either 250ap or 120sp. purely for melee dps in cookie cutter.
    which do i go for? nad how do i know which abilities use AP?
    Kind of depends on what your counting on for dps, I personally would say SP sure you lose out on 130 AP but the higher dmg on your spell based dmgs, Jolt, lightning hammer, eruption of life, and what ever else you use in your melee spec should more than make up for it, clerics, even melee clerics dont do much physical dmg

  5. #5
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim45682 View Post
    Kind of depends on what your counting on for dps, I personally would say SP sure you lose out on 130 AP but the higher dmg on your spell based dmgs, Jolt, lightning hammer, eruption of life, and what ever else you use in your melee spec should more than make up for it, clerics, even melee clerics dont do much physical dmg
    Yeah but just because it uses Physical damage doesn't mean it doesn't use AP.

    And to the OP, sorry I don't know. I can run a few tests tomorrow and see, assuming someone doesn't get th answer soon.
    Candy

  6. #6
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawntreader View Post
    I am wondering whether to slot the AP or SP trinket from Codex?
    Ap gives 250 ap but SP gives only 120
    However, for cookie cutter dps spec, am i losing out because a lot of the spells are not using AP?

    more to the point- how do you know if an ability is AP or SP dependent?
    I kinda knew the answer already but I parsed once with AP trinket and once with SP trinket for 30 mins each..and the SP trinket parsed at about 30 dps more...also 16 SP > 16 AP from the 2 trinkets, since SP converts to AP.

    Jolt, Bombard, Lighting(the dot), Sanction Heretic+Sanction, VotW, and Vex all use SP
    Combined Effort, Massive Blow, Lightning Hammer(initial hit), Eruption of Life(initial hit and followup), Fervent Strike all use AP

    So rule of thumb if you have to be in melee range to use an ability its based off AP, with the exception of the dot from lightning hammer..which is wierd spell in itself since this portion of the spell cannot even crit after the 1st tick.

    I was expecting my auto attacks to be more DPS with the AP trinket but it was actually lower overall by 3 dps, crit % was the same.
    Gilg - 50 Guardian Cleric on Briarcliff
    Maximation
    We're recruiting active, competent raiders who enjoy being competitive while having fun!

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    134

    Default

    AP doesn't effect auto attacks.

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser beawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    370

    Default

    I'm pretty sure at least 40% of the tribrid's damage comes from SP. Pick SP.
    Cleric Tank -Guardian- Sunrest
    <Esti Efiu>

  9. #9
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Your strongest attacks (Jolt, in particular) are SP based. Easy answer.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts