+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clerics Blow in this Game

Ascendant

Default Clerics Blow in this Game

So I grinded up my Cleric to 50, did a few dungeons, then started doing Warfronts. While I had fun, I must say I get my *** handed to me in PvP (warfronts or open world either one). I have tried a number of different specs and souls, and I get the same result. Pwned by Rogues, Warriors and Mages.

In the open-world rogues are my nightmare. Here's how it goes: Rogue sneaks up on me, stuns me, slashes me three times and by the time I come out of the stun, I have 5% health. I can do better against the warrior, but still lose more often than not. Mages are very tough if they are geared properly, especially because Mages have this supernatural power of healing themselves 100% with no cooldown. Against Mages it is a self-healing contest. While I do a lot more damage to them, it doesn't matter because they spam heal themselves. It's just a matter of them outlasting you, which they inevitably will.

So here's how I see the Cleric class:

Pros:

1) Do a good job at healing party members

Cons:

1) Can tank, but nowhere nearly as good as a Warrior.

2) Can melee DPS, but nowhere near as good as a warrior or rogue.

3) Can do ranged DPS, but nowhere as good as a Mage or a rogue and his arrows.

4) Have ****ty self-healing.

Conclusion: Why would anyone want to be a Cleric? They are by far the worst class unless your sole motivation is to be a party healer. They are sorta the jack of all trades and master of none. And the Templar PVP soul is a joke.

Sez

Inb4 flame, rambling, an eventual thread lock
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Default Cool Story

Good thing WoW's patch comes out in a week so then you can head back to those forums and whine about how easy/****ty/underwhelming the new raid is and whine about your class changes.

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    So I grinded up my Cleric to 50, did a few dungeons, then started doing Warfronts. While I had fun, I must say I get my *** handed to me in PvP (warfronts or open world either one). I have tried a number of different specs and souls, and I get the same result. Pwned by Rogues, Warriors and Mages.

In the open-world rogues are my nightmare. Here's how it goes: Rogue sneaks up on me, stuns me, slashes me three times and by the time I come out of the stun, I have 5% health. I can do better against the warrior, but still lose more often than not. Mages are very tough if they are geared properly, especially because Mages have this supernatural power of healing themselves 100% with no cooldown. Against Mages it is a self-healing contest. While I do a lot more damage to them, it doesn't matter because they spam heal themselves. It's just a matter of them outlasting you, which they inevitably will.

So here's how I see the Cleric class:

Pros:

Cons:

Conclusion: Why would anyone want to be a Cleric? They are by far the worst class unless your sole motivation is to be a party healer. They are sorta the jack of all trades and master of none. And the Templar PVP soul is a joke.
    Obvious troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Vashane View Post
    I would just like to add, I sure hope they don't add something to this game before they add something else that is totally unrelated to the thing they might add, because that would really tick me off or something if they added it first before the thing that should be added first even though its totally unrelated like, you know?

Lol....bad player. I love me cleric and have a blast with him.
    Stupid People P*** Me Off

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    Pros:

Cons:

1. I have quite often ended up tanking all mobs that should be split between 2 tanks as a warrior tank has died . It all depends on the person and the build. Warriors have more variety but it doesnt mean all the possibilities are good.

2. Have you ever run a parser on a fight with a cleric druid/shammy/Inq build?

3. I agree, ranged is crappy - I cant get more than 600 dps without archon and bard buffs, and even then not more than 800

4. Why would you need to heal yourself assuming the healer / tank is doing their job?

Now quit trolling and roll a cleric

Rift Master

I felt the same when I was low geared, but when your buffed up everything changes... still wouldnt call myself a god though

Trion's girlfriends all play Rogue, and were abused by priests. This is their revenge.
    RIFT FORUM MODS FEAR MY THREADS

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary View Post
    1. I have quite often ended up tanking all mobs that should be split between 2 tanks as a warrior tank has died . It all depends on the person and the build. Warriors have more variety but it doesnt mean all the possibilities are good.
    I've seen some decent Cleric tanks, but to me it just seems much more difficult to make it work when warriors have more armor on their shield than Clerics have on all their gear combined.

2. Have you ever run a parser on a fight with a cleric druid/shammy/Inq build?
    No, I haven't but I suspect one would be lucky to see 500. 600 would be exceptional. My first build was a druid/shaman/justicar and is what I went from level 1 to 50 with. While it's pretty good against trash mobs in PvE, it is a rather weak melee spec in PvP compared to a warrior (who can often one shot me). I have to beat on people for 5 minutes before I see much damage.

3. I agree, ranged is crappy - I cant get more than 600 dps without archon and bard buffs, and even then not more than 800
    I have a lot more luck with ranged compared to melee. However, if I use my fav ranged spec (Inq/Cab), I am forced to add a healing soul in there since the Templar soul has no healing ability either (templar is good for nothing other than tanking up a bit, but this can be done with Justicar too). This usually means that I use Sentinel since it's the only soul that has a halfway decent self-healing ability (Healing Breath I think it is.) Without a good self-heal, I get destroyed in PvP. And while Healing Breath and Healing Invocation are nice to have, they suck compared to the 100% instant self-heals I see mages doing. Healing breath at it's best will heal me for 25% or so. Healing Invocation is a bit weaker.

Here's a cool story for ya bro: I encountered a Mage in the open-world who attacked me in the middle of a town. All of the NPC's went over and began beating on him (5 or 6 of them), while I was casting my ranged barrage on him. I threw everything at him -- decay, obliterate, dark shadows, shadow's touch, bolt of depravity, life's vengeance, sanction heretic. Spamming them over and over. Guess what? He killed us all because every time he got 50% health he self-healed instantly. That my friend is ********, but it is what it is. Either the Mage's self-heals need nerfed or Clerics are weak (I think it's both). No class should be that more powerful than another, but the devs don't seem to care much about class balance which naturally means sooner or later everyone will figure it out and you'll see no clerics in PvP anymore.

4. Why would you need to heal yourself assuming the healer / tank is doing their job?
    That's the problem -- you can't depend on healers in a WF like you can in a dungeon (where there's only 5 people who mostly stick together and know each other.) WF's are too chaotic for that unless you have a really good organized group which is extremely rare when you're queuing with randoms.

Now quit trolling and roll a cleric
    I am not trolling, just asking a question. Perhaps it would be more suited to the PvP forum, though.
    Last edited by AceinHole; 06-24-2011 at 07:09 PM.

OP, you just aren't that good in PvP and your gear probably is not good either.
    Quote Originally Posted by benjie View Post
    Rift died?

Well I can tell you a bit....

-Druid/Shammy/Inq spec. I parse pretty darn high. Usually between 750-1000 depending how much I screw up. This is a very good melee spec. More of a PvE raiding spec....but I have messed around with it in WF's.

-Inq/Just/Sent spec. Yeah the damage is not the best but there are many factors. Your damage heals you and peeps around you for a decent amount. You aoe conviction heals are awesome. This is a good spec for both PvE and for PvP. In Codex the other night I did 88k damage and healed for 110k so I was doing something right.

-Warden/sent/whatever spec. Great spec for PvP and nice for PvE. The 51 purifier should be great for MT healing if the changes are in fact true.

Cleric may just not be for you. No problem with that. just re-roll a different toon and find one you really like at lvl 50. Not like its hard to lvl in the game.
    Stupid People P*** Me Off

Cleric Roles

Healer - Efficient healers.

Tank - Really great tanks. Need to work on spec perhaps. As a healer I personally find cleric tanks easier to heal than warrior tanks. Warrior tanks take more damage in general.

Melee DPS - Lower dps than rogues and warriors, correct, but with correct specs (add some Justicar love) you will add group healing to your dps.

Ranged DPS - Still not best dps in comparison rogue and mage dps, but you can add some support abilities and even some healing to your regular dps.

Other than some egos, needs and play styles. That's why people who play clerics carry less ego than others in general. They can become elitists though hehe...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by G0PH3R View Post

Healer - Efficient healers.
    Clerics are not even remotely 'efficient'. Their heals cost a god awful ammount of mana, enough to make me wonder what crack trion was smoking when they decided not to give them a mana regen ability. Clerics are =good= healers though. I will give them that.

Tank - Really great tanks. Need to work on spec perhaps. As a healer I personally find cleric tanks easier to heal than warrior tanks. Warrior tanks take more damage in general.
    Your warrior tanks were horrible. There is no way that a cleric T2 or raid was easier to heal than warriors. The issue being that clerics have to decide among raising their threat or raising their mitigation - since wisdom is not the preferred stat for reducing damage, not to mention their defensive rating scales quite poorly and they have =horrendous= magical defense

Melee DPS - Lower dps than rogues and warriors, correct, but with correct specs (add some Justicar love) you will add group healing to your dps.
    Sadly aoe heals are not always needed in every fight, and damage is about 5% lower with justicar than inquistor. Warriors and clerics actually seem to be about on par with this latest patch, but I haven't seen all the new combos yet so meh..

Ranged DPS - Still not best dps in comparison rogue and mage dps, but you can add some support abilities and even some healing to your regular dps.
    'Not the best' is a remarkable understatement. Ranged dps does about 30% less than other ranged dps souls, which is simply not acceptable - and again, you do not always need raid heals.. however, cabalist for example, does not possess this utility so I can't imagine the reasoning behind making it so poor.

Other than some egos, needs and play styles. That's why people who play clerics carry less ego than others in general. They can become elitists though hehe...
    I doubt it has anything to do with anyones ego, but that people that are vying for a raid spot want to be A: Useful to that raid group and B: Not chosen last. Overall clerics are 'average' (not that anyone wants average), but mages right now may be in a worse spot... soo.. be glad you aren't a mage?
    Last edited by CdrRogdan; 06-25-2011 at 03:12 AM.

Soulwalker

Ever heard of "Bring the player not the class" .. i think thats the case for this thread .. we cant help it that u dont know how to play your class ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast