+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Inquisitor AoE Question (PvE)

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    179

    Default Inquisitor AoE Question (PvE)

    Hi everyone,

    I have an Inquisitor I'm enjoying playing in PvE 5-mans (and for questing), but I have a question about our AoE strategy.

    When we're fighting several mobs at once, I typically use Soul Drain and follow-up with Circle of Oblivion. Unfortunately, Soul Drain is PBAoE, so it's a major aggro magnet. I also have 10 points in Cabalist, so sometimes when I'm feeling less frisky, I will use Circle of Oblivion, followed by Decay, then Obliterate or Tyranny (if Obliterate is down). But when I do this, I feel like I may be doing less damage.

    What do you advise? I'm not a fan of having to be in melee range when I cast a powerful AoE....but is that our lot? Can I maintain good AoE damage without it (with no more than 15 points in Cabalist)? Clinging Spirit seems too good to give up.

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Shield of Telara kidbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    788

    Default

    You'll definitely want to give the tank a few moments to get sufficient aggro on all the mobs before you pop Soul Drain. I generally throw up Vex on a few of the mobs during this time since that damage isn't likely to out-threat the tank. Then I proceed to use Soul Drain followed by CoO as you do.

    This is all easier of course if you know the tank and you are in vent. It's best to communicate with the tank and ask him to give you the thumbs up when he feels it's safe for you to start using your AoEs. You should also keep your finger ready to hit Divine Pardon right after that first Soul Drain just in case you do happen to pull aggro.

    Just play smart and you should be fine going all out with your AoEs... provided the tank doesn't suck.

  3. #3
    Prophet of Telara kliknik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    962

    Default

    I fire off lurking decay, soul drain, tyranny x3, soul drain again then circle of oblivion and rarely have aggro issues. Also dont forget you should have Divine pardon for aggro reduction to if you do have premature aggro issues (its ok its a common thing they say effects 1 out of 4 players :P)
    "Overall we want the various callings to be competitive with each other in their comparative roles. There isnít a mandate that Rogues do more damage than Warriors or that Mages be the best ranged damage in the game. Ideally we would like to see players with equivalent skill, gear, planar attunement, buffs etc be equally effective at damage, tanking or healing." - Kervik

  4. #4
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    401

    Default

    I usually give the tank ~3-4 seconds to generate threat befoer I pop my Fanaticsim + Soul Drain.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kliknik View Post
    I fire off lurking decay, soul drain, tyranny x3, soul drain again then circle of oblivion and rarely have aggro issues. Also dont forget you should have Divine pardon for aggro reduction to if you do have premature aggro issues (its ok its a common thing they say effects 1 out of 4 players :P)
    You know, I bet using Decay up front is giving the tank more time to build up aggro. I think I'll try that next time to see if it helps. I really don't want to just stand there or do single target damage while the tank builds up aggro if I can help it.

    I'm not high enough for Divine Pardon yet, but I'm sure it'll come in handy.

    Thanks for the help, everyone!

  6. #6
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    638

    Default No

    Do not rely on divine pardon, its useless. It has never reduced any aggro for me. Your best best is to use the decay - soul drain - tyranny. Most tanks will have aggro by the time soul drain launches. If your third soul is warden or sentinel, you can also throw an instant heal on the tank before soul drain while waiting for him to get aggro.

  7. #7
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdis43 View Post
    Do not rely on divine pardon, its useless. It has never reduced any aggro for me. Your best best is to use the decay - soul drain - tyranny. Most tanks will have aggro by the time soul drain launches. If your third soul is warden or sentinel, you can also throw an instant heal on the tank before soul drain while waiting for him to get aggro.
    Supposedly they fixed it so it does more than proc a GCD and drain a bit of your mana. Have you tried it since 1.3 (only relevant to inquisicar since nobody else with deep inquisitor points will be *capable* of drawing aggro)?

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
    You know, I bet using Decay up front is giving the tank more time to build up aggro. I think I'll try that next time to see if it helps. I really don't want to just stand there or do single target damage while the tank builds up aggro if I can help it.

    I'm not high enough for Divine Pardon yet, but I'm sure it'll come in handy.

    Thanks for the help, everyone!
    If you have 10 point in caba you def want to start with decay if the tank is having aoe aggro problem. This is useful because if you enter your aoe rotation of Soul Drain, Circle of Oblivion(full tic), you have 1 GCD after CoO and before SD comes off cd. You can use the pause here to pop 3 charge Obliterate, Soul Drain, Circle of Oblivion.

    You'll have no downtime until the 2nd CoO runs it's course, and by then most aoe should be dead.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts