+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New 50s healing in experts: stop doing it wrong.

Default New 50s healing in experts: stop doing it wrong.

This is an embarassing confession, because I love the cleric class. But, when I am tanking experts to help guildies, I secretly pray for a chloro healer. Getting a cleric healer who I haven't played with before makes me cringe a little inside. Not because chloros are necessarily better healers than clerics - they aren't. But because it's pretty hard to "do it wrong" with a chloro, as long as you keep spamming life attacks. Whereas more than half of the newish cleric healers will make one of the following mistakes:

- Using Healing Grace or Healing Flame
    Yes, they're faster. They're also weaker. MUCH weaker. I know you think all your healing spells "should" be useful. But quit thinking about what should happen, and look at what *is* happening. Which is that I am dying while you cast crappy 500-800 HP heals. Please, please, take them off your bar. Please.

- Waiting until I get hurt to cast heals
    This will be shocking to discover, but when mobs are hitting me, there is a high chance that I will get hurt soon. Probably even during the cast time of your heal, or the duration of your HoTs. Show just a smidge of foresight and go on and start casting those. If I parry every hit and you "waste" the spell, there's not actually an angry Overheal God who will jump out and smite you. No one will even notice. But, believe me, LOTS of people will notice if you wait too long.

- Worrying too much about your mana
    This is the most important thing you can learn, so repeat after me: WATER IS FREE. Ok, it's not technically true. But close enough. It costs like, half a portculim fee. It costs less than the repair cost you take when you don't heal enough because you're "saving mana." Your mana isn't important. My health *is* important. Figure it out. And if you don't carry any mana pots for emergencies - even just the cheap L35 ones - you are coming to the group unprepared.

Prophet of Telara

Mana tonic potions are super efficient to make and use (much better than standard mana potions). Also, if you have cascade or some other mana returning talent use it early in the fight when it's first viable to do so (e.g. cascade returns 15% mana so use it at 85% to top yourself off and put it on cooldown for later in the fight). That way cascade can give you at least 30% mana in a boss fight.

I always carry about 100 water so using a stack of 20 in a dungeon run doesn't bother me at all...glad to have it. Remember that in some phases of boss fights you can sneak a drink (Eliam fight in runic descent comes to mind, you can drink between phases). You can also, obviously, do this in any rift encounters if you're paying attention.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Maladon View Post
    Mana tonic potions are super efficient to make and use (much better than standard mana potions). Also, if you have cascade or some other mana returning talent use it early in the fight when it's first viable to do so (e.g. cascade returns 15% mana so use it at 85% to top yourself off and put it on cooldown for later in the fight). That way cascade can give you at least 30% mana in a boss fight.

I always carry about 100 water so using a stack of 20 in a dungeon run doesn't bother me at all...glad to have it. Remember that in some phases of boss fights you can sneak a drink (Eliam fight in runic descent comes to mind, you can drink between phases). You can also, obviously, do this in any rift encounters if you're paying attention.
    Cleric healing isn't as easy as Chloro even with easier-to-use specs like Puri/Sent, I really wouldn't start encouraging people to go deep warden when it's accepted that while viable, it is also harder to use and master.

Also, how exactly are you using 20 drinks per run? I use about 5-6 tops and maybe 2-3 mana tonics.

Soulwalker

This topic made me giggle...

I agree with part of it, the water/mana management part especially, you can just sit for 5 seconds while the tank is pulling to fill your mana.

Healing Flame is not useless if you know when to spam it preventivelly and when to switch to a stronger one reactivelly, sort of like a wow paladin switching between Healing Light or Flash of Light (pre cataclysm)

Quote Originally Posted by Vocalhealspam View Post
    Cleric healing isn't as easy as Chloro even with easier-to-use specs like Puri/Sent, I really wouldn't start encouraging people to go deep warden when it's accepted that while viable, it is also harder to use and master.

Also, how exactly are you using 20 drinks per run? I use about 5-6 tops and maybe 2-3 mana tonics.
    The sheer number of people who manage to screw up puri/sent boggles me more than anything else, really.

"Spam RF on the tank."

That's it, really. That's puri/sent. A few minor things, and sometimes you need an AE heal, but still . . .
    It's pretty much Spam RF on the tank. And no one can figure out how to do this.

Who cares if he used 20 drinks? He spent an extra 10 gold. This is my point. Stop trying not to drink. Drink at 80% mana. Drink if you aren't looking at your mana and it might even be full. Drink after every pull just to get into the habit. WATER IS FREE.

I fall asleep when healing with my puri/sent...

and as long as i keep hitting the RF button nobody dies...

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Vocalhealspam View Post

I just make sure I'm topped off most of the time. If I only get 2-3 ticks before I'm full I'm fine with it. Just a habit I fell into years ago although it's not really necessary in instances when the chances of getting hit by another group don't exist.

ps - I think sentinel/warden is a pretty easy spec to master and gives the user a ton of flexibility. I think mine is 32sent/34warden/0whatever (templar most of the time). All the tools you need to heal any instance.

Plane Walker

I didn't have a heal spec until I turned 50 and started dungeons. I looked up info and decided Warden/Sent would be my main heal for dungeons. I think I do a pretty good job and really its not hard at all, just have to pay attention to your HoT timers. I pretty much never have to use any of my Sent heals as I keep 6 HoT's on the tank during fights and hit deluge as needed.

in every game there are always post like this, do yourself and the rest of us a favor and stick to playing with people you know have a the same play style as you. there is a reason we all hate pug groups. not everyone plays the same and different styles don't mesh, what you think is right may not be the same as another. I'm not saying your wrong, it works for you so do it. but please refrain from thinking your gonna correct everyone on the way they play unless your gonna pay my account
    It's easy to be obnoxious when no one can reach threw your monitor and smack you upside the head

Plane Walker

WHat we should do is make a thread about why the servers aren't up... oh wait.
    Or rather we should complain about those slackers who join as dps but continually get outparsed by the tank.... Ugh I hate those wastes of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen One View Post
    in every game there are always post like this, do yourself and the rest of us a favor and stick to playing with people you know have a the same play style as you. there is a reason we all hate pug groups. not everyone plays the same and different styles don't mesh, what you think is right may not be the same as another. I'm not saying your wrong, it works for you so do it. but please refrain from thinking your gonna correct everyone on the way they play unless your gonna pay my account
    The "to each his own" thing is totally cool by me, actually. For solo play. If trying to finish every quest by means of naked wanding is what does it for you, then more power to you. Be my guest.

However, in an actual group with actual other people, you have a responsibility to do stuff that works, instead of stuff that doesn't work. This thread is about doing stuff that works, and ceasing to do stuff that doesn't work.
    Last edited by Stay; 06-22-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Shadowlander

I have to admit when I first started healing experts as a fresh 50- it was an entire new world and I was constantly asking myself wtf am I doing wrong?

The sheer number of combinations and abilities make healing appear to be a daunting task- unless you do your research or ask the right people.

Thankfully I found a good group of folks that were willing to stick it out and point me in the right direction while I learned and found the builds and styles that work for me.

I can't solo-heal all of the t2s bosses yet, but I keep knocking another boss or two off every week for new-solo heals

That said- I'm really nervous about healing for Stay now... think maybe i'll just stick to healing him in WFs and raids for the anonymity found in that chaos!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwren View Post
    That said- I'm really nervous about healing for Stay now... think maybe i'll just stick to healing him in WFs and raids for the anonymity found in that chaos!
    Haha I actually don't think you've ever healed for me in a 5man. If you did, it wasn't memorable, which means it must have been smooth

Would it make you less nervous to know that I put my healer on /focus and watch his cast bar so I can think evil thoughts about him if he stops casting? No? Actually it's so I know when I need to blow a cooldown, lol. Or that's my excuse anyway.
    Last edited by Stay; 06-22-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Soulwalker

Seeing as I leveled up mostly soloing as a Justicar/Shaman, and am therefore about to hit 50 without ever having healed an instance, I'll take any advice I can get. Given how easy it was to level as an AoE Melee grinder, and how easy it is to respec, I can only imagine there are a lot of new 50s who've never actually played their end-game role.

Rift Disciple

Why not just stop keep hots up and constantly cast /stop cast before the heal lands if the tank is still topped off? best of both worlds

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast