+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: does a melee cleric use physical crit?

  1. #1
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    355

    Default does a melee cleric use physical crit?

    Or spell crit? Need to know which rune I need in my melee build.

    Also does a melee cleric want a faster weapon or the weapon with the highest dps?

    are staffs/hammers no good for druid/shaman because they are so slow?

  2. #2
    RIFT Community Ambassador Radak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blueacid View Post
    Or spell crit? Need to know which rune I need in my melee build.

    Also does a melee cleric want a faster weapon or the weapon with the highest dps?

    are staffs/hammers no good for druid/shaman because they are so slow?
    Please read Faith in Action.
    It converts your spell crit to physical crit so it will affect both.

    As for what you need you need both as you use some melee attacks and some spells. So use the spell crit rune to have it convert to the melee stat as well.
    Cleric tanking: Justicar guide | Justicar spreadsheet and item list
    Defence is as much a part of war as offense, the shield as important a tool as the sword.

  3. #3
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blueacid View Post
    Also does a melee cleric want a faster weapon or the weapon with the highest dps?

    are staffs/hammers no good for druid/shaman because they are so slow?
    Whichever two-handed weapon that gives you the best stats. Typically the better stats = the highest DPS = two-handed weapon, so it really ends up with the same conclusion. While leveling it is often staves, but hammers can be just as good depending on the stats.

    Weapon speed and weapon damage range doesn't make any noticeable difference so just worry about the listed DPS value and the stats it gives.

    Also, only ever use weapons that give you spell power, ignore all the maces or daggers with higher DPS values but no spell power, these are bad for cleric.

  4. #4
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Melee stats are given as an interpretation of your wis, Int, spell power, spell crit. were as spell power and spell crit become attack power and phys crit.
    To my knowledge wep speed isnt an issue, but i am uncertain of dps from warrior maces vs cleric maces as the dps, base wep, translates to more damage?? in any case the cleric maces always grant spell power and sometimes spell crit......SO, i would stick to those types of weapons. Staves and maces are usable by clerics and i always take the one with more spell power/crit/dps no matter the kind of wep.

  5. #5
    Telaran Asmiroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    All stats being equal, a slower weapon deals more damage as abilities that state "weapon damage +" will hit for marginally more damage. Assuming 100DPS, a staff will hit for 300 damage while a hammer will hit for 380.

    Of course, nothing is equal in game and stats are where the money is at.

  6. #6
    Shield of Telara kidbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Asmiroth View Post
    All stats being equal, a slower weapon deals more damage as abilities that state "weapon damage +" will hit for marginally more damage. Assuming 100DPS, a staff will hit for 300 damage while a hammer will hit for 380.

    Of course, nothing is equal in game and stats are where the money is at.
    This is incorrect. Weapon damage is normalized, so actual weapon speed does not matter. You only look at the stated dps for a weapon and it's stats when determining what is better.

  7. #7
    Telaran supergamer001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blueacid View Post
    Or spell crit? Need to know which rune I need in my melee build.

    Also does a melee cleric want a faster weapon or the weapon with the highest dps?

    are staffs/hammers no good for druid/shaman because they are so slow?
    Use a 2h weapon with an invigorating runeshard, on proc it's 50 spell crit and 50 phys crit. You get 100 phys crit this way.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidbs View Post
    This is incorrect. Weapon damage is normalized, so actual weapon speed does not matter. You only look at the stated dps for a weapon and it's stats when determining what is better.
    This is true. All the tooltips imply that a higher damage but slower weapon would work better (and I think it might have been the case during beta and maybe at release), but all abilities that say "weapon damage" SHOULD say "weapon DPS" (probably with some multiplier).

  9. #9
    Telaran
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Not positive, but I think faster weapons might actually get more dps since they can sneak in more autoattacks between cooldowns.

  10. #10
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theqwert View Post
    Not positive, but I think faster weapons might actually get more dps since they can sneak in more autoattacks between cooldowns.
    I'm pretty sure the weapon white hits are independent of the yellow. So it wouldn't make a difference. But then again that's what I got from wow, which also used weapon speed... Don't really understand why Trion used weapon dps.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts