+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do Clerics make good tanks?

Soulwalker

Default Do Clerics make good tanks?

Is cleric a good tank or is warrior just way better tank?

Telaran

Clerics are good tanks but can have threat and magic mitigation issues when compared to warrior and rogue tanks. 1.3 helped the magic mitigation problem but its still not on par with the other tanks.

Default Cleric tanks

Im only at level 22 and i think so far YES they would make great tanks. I Have a warrior tank also. Just need to make the right spec to make cleric great like mine.

Cleric tanks are far behind other tanks. They make suitable off-tanks for physical encounters and contribute admirably to heals.

Prophet of Telara

In 1.2, clerics were hit decently harder for physical damage and significantly harder for magic damage.

In 1.3, clerics have had their avoidance reduced until much higher scaling (ie nerf for 99% of cleric tanks) and they were given a conditional magic damage reduction that requires you to be in melee distance...which often times they are just range tanking so really they are still inferior tanks.

Cleric can tank and if you're geared you can easily make it work, it's just lacking tons of versatility that a warrior could bring as well as inferior mitigation that a rogue might get. I initially planned to cleric tank, but warriors just do it easier.

Maybe it's just a pet peeve, but do people even consider anything someone below 50 says? They have zero experience with any serious instance or raid content, I genuinely have no idea why anyone is dense enough to post comments on level ranges that are so meaningless and can be skimmed over within two days.

I actually tank with my cleric, she is a justicar, druid, shaman with main points in justicar tree. I out DPS everyone in my guild, downfall to being able to do this is you get alot of threat from other mobs when you kill mobs. So can they tank? imo they can to a certain extent, but I'd still take a really good geared tank over a cleric tanking
    "your character is the result of your conduct"---
    --Aristotle
    Lylak/Cleric/Violent Little Urchins

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by propapili View Post
    Cleric tanks are far behind other tanks. They make suitable off-tanks for physical encounters and contribute admirably to heals.
    What he said...

I find that a lack of a silence/warlord pull type ability really hurts cleric tanking. LoS can help with this situation a lot of times but it's still a weakness.

I think we make very good offtanks and the ability to switch to dps or healing as the need arises is really the best thing about the class. Also, I'm mainly talking about offtanking in raids...justicars can main tank t2 instances pretty well.
    Last edited by Maladon; 06-22-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LylakNightangel View Post
    I actually tank with my cleric, she is a justicar, druid, shaman with main points in justicar tree. I out DPS everyone in my guild, downfall to being able to do this is you get alot of threat from other mobs when you kill mobs. So can they tank? imo they can to a certain extent, but I'd still take a really good geared tank over a cleric tanking
    wut???

yes. clerics can tank. WELL. its just not as easy as tanking with a war.

its very gear relevant.

good gear + smart player = good cleric tank

Quote Originally Posted by Aubie View Post
    wut???

yes. clerics can tank. WELL. its just not as easy as tanking with a war.

its very gear relevant.

good gear + smart player = good cleric tank
    It was just a opinion Aubie, all im saying is id rather have a warrior tank over a cleric and why cant people actually talk or spell correctly, its what not wut =p
    Last edited by LylakNightangel; 06-22-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    --Aristotle

sorry i was confused by your post.... you really shouldnt be out-dpsing anyone (except a healer) in a tank build.

and by "good geared tank" i assume you mean good geared war?
    Last edited by Aubie; 06-22-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubie View Post
    sorry i was confused by your post.... you really shouldnt be out-dpsing anyone (except a healer) in a tank build.

and by "good geared tank" i assume you mean good geared war?
    yes a good geared warrior
    --Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Maladon View Post
    What he said...

I find that a lack of a silence/warlord pull type ability really hurts cleric tanking.
    We get one in 1.3. Which is today \o/

Cleric tanking is fine. Not as versatile as warrior tanks, and less chance of finding an OP spec. But what did you expect, we have 1 tanking tree while they have 4. Rogue is the other 1-tree tank, and against them IMO we compare favorably. Raiders will disagree because a min/maxed rogue makes a better endgame raid tank than a min/maxed cleric. But most people who tank aren't tanking endgame content. And rogue mechanics are very difficult to deal with in 5-man or starter raid content. Clerics are better there.

Plane Touched

Cleric tanks are great 5 man and pre-raid. Once you are in raid content though you will really start to see the weak spots of cleric tanking.

what the guy above me said^^

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Stay View Post
    Yeah I'm looking forward to trying the new stuff

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Stay View Post

Cleric tanking is fine. Not as versatile as warrior tanks, and less chance of finding an OP spec. But what did you expect, we have 1 tanking tree while they have 4. Rogue is the other 1-tree tank, and against them IMO we compare favorably. Raiders will disagree because a min/maxed rogue makes a better endgame raid tank than a min/maxed cleric. But most people who tank aren't tanking endgame content. And rogue mechanics are very difficult to deal with in 5-man or starter raid content. Clerics are better there.
    I for one in no way expected to be hit for significantly more physical damage and magical damage while having completely worthless healing abilities. I expected to be a classic paladin archtype, high defense with healing abilities (Rift's Paladin is more of a templar/knight/whatever).

Clerics self-heals are awesome on piddly trash, but worthless in raids. Oh, in fact Doctrine of Loyalty is actually detrimental to multiple fights far more than it is ever helpful. Pair this with slightly weaker general mitigation and weaker conditional mitigation and clerics are just inferior. You definitely can tank, but you'll be hit harder.

Rogue tanking is harder...except it generally works out to be superior for raids...and since DPS warriors can tank T2s now raiding is the only thing that Trion should really be worried about with tanking ability.

If anything this patch made no difference to the standard ranged tanking fights clerics and weakened everything else while masking it under some bells and whistles.
    Last edited by Phage; 06-22-2011 at 11:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast