+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinions on Balancing Crit & Spellpower for the T3 Inquisitor

Plane Touched

Default Opinions on Balancing Crit & Spellpower for the T3 Inquisitor

I play almost exclusively Inquisitor in pvp and pve. In pve I will often take on the pve druid/sham/inq build, but only when the fight calls for it such as plutonis.

I am now asking myself a question as I sit on the best gear I can get my hands on. What should my stats really be sitting at?

Currently in 8 pieces of rank 5/6 pvp gear (t3 pve pants and neck)
    with Armor of devotion

1165 sp
    814 crit
    Lost favor trinket
    Sigil is all crit based lesser with a mix of focus on wisdom or int.

In my PVE gear which is mostly set pieces with some drops.
    1206 sp
    758 crit

So my question is.....................has anyone done any real testing at this level who can definitely say how much crit vs sp you should be running?

Edit (BTW, I run 51 inq/ward/sent)
    Last edited by Littlebomb; 06-21-2011 at 02:17 PM.

I've parsed it out... I think I'm the only person who has. Spell power wins every time.

I think if others had parsed it, the concensus wouldn't be to stack crit.

People focus on maintaining the 15% damage buff instead of the massive boosts you get from spell power in the tree.

The difference is only about 5% more stacking sp, but it's there.
    Last edited by Mayi; 06-21-2011 at 02:31 PM.

When you say the build you're using, I think this is the bulid you mean?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00dje.EEkigtkqz.V0x.V

It's the one I tested with if it is. I'm not saying everyone else is lazy and never bothered testing stuff before trying to jack all the mage gear or anything, it might be the spec too.
    Last edited by Mayi; 06-21-2011 at 04:14 PM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebomb View Post
    I play almost exclusively Inquisitor in pvp and pve. In pve I will often take on the pve druid/sham/inq build, but only when the fight calls for it such as plutonis.

I am now asking myself a question as I sit on the best gear I can get my hands on. What should my stats really be sitting at?

Currently in 8 pieces of rank 5/6 pvp gear (t3 pve pants and neck)
    with Armor of devotion

1165 sp
    814 crit
    Lost favor trinket
    Sigil is all crit based lesser with a mix of focus on wisdom or int.

In my PVE gear which is mostly set pieces with some drops.
    1206 sp
    758 crit

So my question is.....................has anyone done any real testing at this level who can definitely say how much crit vs sp you should be running?

Edit (BTW, I run 51 inq/ward/sent)
    Well I can tell you, you're over the necessary crit cap in both of your gear sets. You'd be better off in the PvE due to the spellpower. You could stand to lose 150 crit rating and you'd still maintain the ideal crit ratio when raid buffed.

Secondly, you should be using Armor of Awakening, not Devotion. Remember until patch 1.3, AoA won't be shown on the character sheet.

Rift Disciple

5 points into warden buffs your dots at the expense of your direct damage nukes.

Say a dot ticks 10 times, and you run 30% crit. When you convert the total damage of the dot to time -> 0 (ie a nuke) the crit scaling goes WAAAAY down (instead of X*1.9 you get .3*X*1.9+.7X). So when you shift damage from direct damage to dots you are de-emphasizing any and all crit mechanics, both with how our damage buff on crit works (you must reapply dots for it to kick in) and how you're only getting partial use of your crit bonus damage.

It works in the opposite direction going 10 cabal, since you're gaining an overall damage bonus to all spells and crit rate is applied to the bulk of your damage.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sokanon View Post
    Well I can tell you, you're over the necessary crit cap in both of your gear sets. You'd be better off in the PvE due to the spellpower. You could stand to lose 150 crit rating and you'd still maintain the ideal crit ratio when raid buffed.

Secondly, you should be using Armor of Awakening, not Devotion. Remember until patch 1.3, AoA won't be shown on the character sheet.
    I do use armor of awakening I just wanted to give you guys numbers.

And yes, Im going to try to switch all my runes to SP or wisdom runes and see if I can switch out 70 points or so of crit for more sp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponytoucher View Post
    5 points into warden buffs your dots at the expense of your direct damage nukes.

Say a dot ticks 10 times, and you run 30% crit. When you convert the total damage of the dot to time -> 0 (ie a nuke) the crit scaling goes WAAAAY down (instead of X*1.9 you get .3*X*1.9+.7X). So when you shift damage from direct damage to dots you are de-emphasizing any and all crit mechanics, both with how our damage buff on crit works (you must reapply dots for it to kick in) and how you're only getting partial use of your crit bonus damage.

It works in the opposite direction going 10 cabal, since you're gaining an overall damage bonus to all spells and crit rate is applied to the bulk of your damage.
    I'm not sure I follow you here. Your math points out that each dot crits separately, whereas an instant direct damage is all or nothing for the crit. Except your example assumes a crit on the direct damage while only giving the dot the usual crit chance.

And you're right, Corporal Punishment doesn't apply to dots already on the target, but it also stays with dots already applied when the buff expires. If you fire a direct damage without CP and it crits, that attack also gains no benefit from CP. It would seem like everything evens out, and the only conclusion to draw from your argument is that using instant direct damage is more bursty than damage over time, which I don't think anyone will deny.

Using some actual numbers to make it easier to illustrate, all else being equal, given a 1000 damage instant and a 1000 damage 10-tick DOT and 30% crit chance, and +40% crit damage talents:

If the direct damage crits, you did 1900 damage. You've triggered or refreshed Corporal Punishment. This happens 30% of the time.
    If the direct damage doesn't crit, you did 1000 damage. This happens 70% of the time.
    Averaged out, this attack is worth 1900 * 0.3 + 1000 * 0.7, or 1270.
    The average dot does 3 ticks of 190 and 7 ticks of 100, for 1270 total damage. You've triggered or refreshed Corporal Punishment 3 times, and used that benefit on other abilities while the dot continued to tick.

If anything, a dot gives you more chances to trigger Corporal Punishment passively. That is assuming it triggers off of any crit tick of a dot. I've tested this and found it to work on Circle of Oblivion, but I haven't paid attention with Vex. I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

I'm also not sure how Cabalist is meant to work out better with 5% SP and 5% damage vs. Warden's 10% damage, in the context of direct damage vs. dot, unless you're getting more than 5% damage from 5% spell power. Even then, it's costing twice the talent points and losing out on the full Ritual of Judgment bonus (assuming the 10 points are committed to Sentinel either way).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    I've parsed it out... I think I'm the only person who has. Spell power wins every time.

I think if others had parsed it, the concensus wouldn't be to stack crit.

People focus on maintaining the 15% damage buff instead of the massive boosts you get from spell power in the tree.

The difference is only about 5% more stacking sp, but it's there.
    the problem with a statement like this is that it is not always best to stack spellpower, and those of us who have actually had bad enough gear to test it at low levels know this

There is a point at which you do not really need more crit to keep up CP though, and at that point you should stack SP.

+ Reply to Thread