+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would love the opinion and review over end game raid healing

Soulwalker

Default Would love the opinion and review over end game raid healing

Hi, I'm an extremely indecisive person (lol). The amount of time that I have invested in my priest on wow is jaw dropping,
    so I do always have doubts about which class/role is right for me because I know how long I might invest in a character.

I was wondering if players could give me their point of view of healing in raids.

Here's some questions as well.

Which healing style(s) do you normally use in a boss fight?
    Examples would be Blanket healing, rotation healing, spaming, and reactionary healing.

Do you ever have to pay attention to your mana bar,
    or is mana a joke at one point?

Do you feel if you have more cd's than healing spells?
    It just seems there are less spells to use to react to situations than there are for cds.

Is rfit's version of "healer pressure" just random damage flying everywhere?

How many healing builds are you prepared with at all times?
    How many builds do you need for a night of raiding?

Do bosses have a lot of internal cds that make their attacks predictable?
    Are you able to sync your casts with this damage?

Are all the fights different from a healing perspective?

Are there safe levels of health that a player can be left at,
    or is it a "TOP EVERY1 NOW!" sort of thing?

Any input would be really helpful.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Nytris; 06-21-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Nytris View Post
    Examples would be Blanket healing, rotation healing, spaming, and reactionary healing.
    I play a support cleric. pretty similar to shadowpriest i think (i only played wow for a few months and that years ago...so not sure). i do dmg and heal with my damage. when aoe burst comes, i spam my aoe heal

with support spec u have 2 ways to regain mana, so mana is no issure for me at all

It just seems there are less spells to use to react to situations than there are for cds.
    in my spec: no. but there are speccs where u have 5+ CDs

no. usually its only tank dmg and than some aoe every few secs. if u get dmg flying everywhere, ur raid is doing sth wrong

since im only focus cleric in my guild (u need focus to hit mobs in pve high end content, so pure healers dont need it) i only have 1 heal spec, which is can do pretty much anything good, but nothing perfect.
    i have 2 support specs though, one with more dmg and one with more support

many spells have cast time, so u know when aoe dmg comes inc

not really. keep the tank alive and throw aoe heals when needed. well and whatch ur movement

its pretty much a "TOP EVERY1 NOW!". aoe damage so far comes lets say all 10 seconds, and if ur raid isnt 100% somone will drop

Thank you!
    yw

The more eggs you have in your basket the better. Ultimately, a good healer isn't the guy who is told to keep the Tank up and suceeds, he's the guy that is told to keep the tank up, and and suceeds, while also raid healing, dispelling, and making up for any and all shortcomings the rest of the healers may have. There is no metric for this, but if you are this guy, your loss is always felt when your not around.

That being said, there are a couple standard ways to be a healer. The Tank healer, usually Puri/sent. The Raid Healer, usually warden,sent. And they Hybrid Healer, a just/inq i believe?, that allows you moderate dps and substanital raid healing, but for this one you need Focus to be effective.

What you are best at, is important, of course, but again, the more roles you can fill the better.

Sunspots the Retired
    Once R8 Guardian Cleric of Seastone
    Proud Alumni of [breaking bads]

Observe my Past Glory in Video Format here!!

Plane Touched

To give you my perspective, this is coming from healing lead in the top Defiant raiding guild on the second highest population server. I've been playing Rift since Beta 5. Prior to Rift, I raided and lead healers in various top 50-250 WoW guilds from vanilla to early ICC as a resto shaman, holy & disc priest, resto druid, and holy paladin.

I was wondering if players could give me their point of view of healing in raids.
    Healing in Rift is much like healing in WoW, and many cleric abilities have WoW equivalents, but a few critical differences change things entirely:

> Fights are designed around the presence of mass passive AoE healing through hybrid DPS/Support/Offhealers. Maybe 75% of the healing done in a given fight is indirect.

> Because AoE healing is so easily managed by above-mentioned DPS/Support/Offhealers, and these classes are not limited by mana, dedicated AoE healers doing 0 DPS are far less valuable.

> As a dedicated healing cleric, your regen mechanics are almost nonexistent. You start with a large mana pool, and spells are pretty inexpensive, so the lack of regen isn't usually a big deal. But poor play and reckless casting will oom you in no time, even raid buffed.

> In a typical raid comp, at most 4, and usually no more than 2 healers are doing 0 DPS. Rift uses a lot of DPS-converted-to-healing mechanics and heals-procced-on-hit mechanics, like JoL. So the full-healers a progression raid does run are expected to pull their weight.

> Having access to 5 specs at any given time permits TONS of raid comp flexibility. I for one run 4 healing specs, and 1 DPS spec, and I use them all situationally in a given raid week. It's not uncommon to completely rearrange healers and DPS from fight to fight.

> Absolutely tons of battle rezzes.

Depends on the fight. As I explained above, a lot of the healing in Rift is done through damage. Blanket HoTs are not a viable or mana-efficient way to AoE heal. I'll try to describe each calling/role, their healing approach, and offer a WOW analogy (if there is one):

Clerics:

1) Full Purifier: Dedicated single-target healer with slow spells that grant shields. Is capable of casting high-absorption instant-cast shields (3s CD) & has tons of cooldowns available. Overheals spillover on nearby targets. Slow and consistent. Best analogy is a Disc priest without haste that relies on a 3-second cast-time spell as their main heal, or a holy pally reliant on big nuke heals only with that one glyph that does splash healing.

2) Full Warden: Instant-cast HoTs, stackable HoTs, Cast-time HoTs with an initial heal, Nourish-type spell, Earth shield of sorts (on a CD), Earth shield that does splash AoE, etc. Best analogy is a druid without haste and whose HoTs don't scale quite as well with SP.

3) Full Sentinel: 3-second nuke heal with HoT component, strong/expensive AoE heals, lots of cooldowns (incl pain suppress), and most importantly: a haste mechanic. Crits grant a cast time reduction on the next spell. Best analogy is a holy priest.

4) Inquisicar: Ranged DPS/AoE healer. Damaging abilities build combo points that can be expended to heal, and a % of all damage is converted to AoE healing. Has an instant-cast spammable (within the limitations of combo points) AoE heal. Does about 30-50% as much damage as a full DPS class. No WoW equivalent (heals much, much more than a shadow priest)

5) Shamicar: Same as above, except melee. Slightly higher DPS/better buffs but reduced mobility.

6) Purifier-Sentinel: Strong single-target capability with some AoE flexibility, benefitting from the Sentinel crit-haste mechanic and the overheal spillover. Great tank healer/backup raid.

7) Ward-Sentinel: Strong single and multi-target capability. High mobility & constant haste procs. Great raid healer/backup tank.

Mages (not 100% on these at all):

1) Full Chloromancer: considered a dedicated healer, has both single-target and multi-target capability, and the highest single-target heal in the game (on a cooldown). A % of damage is converted to raid healing (this is increased for one selected target, typically the tank), some direct heal abilities, applies a JoL effect. Low DPS. Absolutely no mana limitations. No equivalent in WoW.

2) Chloro/Lock: same as above but sacrifices some chloro abilities and cooldowns in order to buff overall healing.

2) Chloro/Archon: Maybe 80% as effective as other chloro specs, but lends excellent buffs to the raid.

Rogues:

1) Bard: Constant passive AoE healing and buff maintenance, very low DPS. Heals through energy, so no resource limitations.

So as you can see....there's a lot going on, and as a cleric, you have access to most styles.

Depends on the spec. Ward/Sent and Puri/Sent will need to watch their mana if they are AoE healing extensively or undergeared. Clerics have limitless healing capability because most of our spells are not subject to cooldowns, but the expense absolutely skyrockets when you spam them. Many of the game's difficult encounters could be healed by 2 clerics spamming Healing Communion (10-target .5 second AoE heal with haste procced), because it's such a powerful spell, but those two clerics would be OOM in 30 seconds under normal circumstances.

This is why specs that involve two trees (Puri-Sent, Ward-Sent) are so popular. Individual trees don't offer many spells (10 or so, of which maybe 5 are useful). So when you double dip, you gain access to a larger toolbox at the expense of cooldowns.

A combination of enrage timers, absolutely absurd tank damage, long fights (some upwards of 13m during progression), single-target burst, high movement, and yes, random AoE.

Four. However I respec frequently during progression, because 5 points can make a huge difference in playstyle and effectiveness for a given fight.

I use all 4 healing builds and 1 DPS build on a typical night (~4 hours to clear both GS and RoS).

Yes. Many high damage abilities are on cast times or are in some way predictable.

During progression, yes, sort of. Some are easier or harder. Many of the mechanics feel similar, but about 30% of the bosses are unique.

Depends on the fight and gear level. Again, due to the passive healing, you can often let the support top everyone off. But because Trion doesn't have strict limitations on boss ability cooldowns, HUGE AOE BURST followed by HUGE AOE BURST needs immediate topoff or you'll have a rez on your hands.

Thank you!
    Have fun!

Shield of Telara

Overview:

Generally speaking the healing breakdown for us is 1 chloro per tank, 1 cleric healer per tank (sometimes not required) usually some combination of sent/puri/ward (pick 2 hybrid), usually 1 warden type for raid healing and/or 1 puri for certain "gaze" fights and/or a senticar for raid healing, usually atleast 1 inquisicar or shamicar for extra group healing, 1-2 bards for buffs / some raid healing.

Basically you're looking at 1 mage and possibly 1 cleric healer per tank and 1-4ish raid healers depending on how bad the AEs are and what people want to play.

A senticar is semi-deep sentinel, semi-low justicar, and possibly semi-low in another spec (I use inq for the ranged version). This build has most of the healing and utility of a sentinel hybrid making it useful for single target healing as well as justicar for raid (technically 10-man) healing. You have atleast 1 mana regen ability, atleast 1 battle rez, group cure, lots of AE healing, damage reduction from AE healing, and utilities like healers covenant, healer's haste, and serendipity.

An inquisicar is deep inquisitor, semi-low justicar, probably sentinel for the 3rd. A shamicar is like inquisicar only uses shaman for melee dps while inquisicar uses inq for ranged dps. These retain "most" of the dps from their parent soul, but generally lack the healing utiliy (brez, possibly cure). They won't top the dps meters, but they put out large amounts of raid healing (technically 10-man healing so you generally want 2 for 20-man raids).

...Which healing style(s) do you normally use in a boss fight?
    Spamming or self-only rotation for MT. The cast times aren't really long enough (even at 3s) to require a "CH" rotation (if you played EQ). Reactionary healing for raid heals (no point spamming raid heals and the MT usually takes enough damage you don't want to reactionarily heal him).

You'll have to watch your mana bar; your reaction to it depends on spec. If you're in a full healing build w/o picking up a mana restoring ability from another tree then you'll rely on pots, bard raid mana regen, and archon targeted mana regen. If you're in a build w/ a mana restoring ability (the 'car builds in particular) you'll need to time the usage of it, but you should do decently well with mana (if you can't find a time to use the ability or you need to do excessive raid healing you may be using pots too).

My builds tend to include sentinel which has: Healer's covenant (40% damage reduction on target), Touch the Light (next heal instant cast), and Healer's Haste (next 5 heals take 30% less time to cast) for cds. The other 2 builds have a number of other cooldowns too. However, your primary healing does not come from the cd abilities (puri has a bit more in the way of cd healing through shields). The cds tend to be "oh s" skills.

No clue what you mean. The MT(s) should take most of the damage and raid damage should come from AE's not "random" damage.

I run 1 or 2 if you count my dps/healing build. Senticar and Inquisicar
    I have 2-3. Senticar, Inquisicar, and a max dps druid-hybrid that I generally don't use. My guild does not use cleric tanks nor do I use my 5th role on raids generally.

Yes. Mobs tend to be based off of player classes. The basic attacks do a certain amount of damage and then they'll use the abilities from their chosen soul in addition for "spike" damage. If you are familiar with the CDs in that soul and choose to time them you could predict those spikes. Boss special abilities tend to be % or time based and thus also predictable.
    Generally speaking, yes.

Not really. You either spam heals on the MT or you cast raid heals after an AE. Some fights have a "gaze" mechanic in addition where you have to watch for the gaze emote then spam heals on the target.
    The effects everyone has to worry about (movement, facing, stop casting, etc.) vary by fight and healers have to watch out for them, but the healing itself doesn't vary much.

Depends on the fight. The MT usually needs to be topped off, but there are certain phases in fights where you can focus on another player for a moment before topping off the tank.
    For the AEs it depends on how big the AE is and how much time is between it. There wil be some "splash" healing from your 'cars and chloros and bards which may take the dps up to full w/o requiring a direct heal. For the fights with big AEs (4k+ spikes) everyone needs to be topped off before the next cast of the AE (non-tanks usually run between 4800 and 6000 hp). There are also some fights where the boss uses randomly targeted single-target or targeted-AE attacks that can come right before or right after a big raid AE. On those fights you really need to top everyone off immediately so they have a shot of surviving an almost back-to-back raid AE + targeted spell.

Thank you!

There's already been a lot said about different playstayles and such. Just to highlight some of the fundamental things I've discovered in general about rift.

1. Justicar has the best aoe heal and it's low in the tree. 10 player heal that's insta cast and can be spammed. Downside is you have to build convictions.

2. With both rogues and clerics, there were so many tools I kept trying to mix and match different things and it never really worked. Then I discovered something pretty fundamental. It is always better to improve the tools then take more tools. As a purifier-sent you can pump up your single target heal to be pretty godly, which is better then a bunch of situational 2 min abilities. All the trees are like this, keep it simple. Choose your best single target heal or aoe heal, or both... and boost the crap out of it. Forget about trying to have 5 situational aoe heals when you can boost 1 to be better in any situation because it's been improved so much.

3. Boost with 5 cab and 10 sent in almost every build. Spell power bonuses make a huge difference, 10 inquis can work... but is generally not as good unless you're 51 sent because 10 sent or 5 cab is better. On a dummy, any build with 5 cab and 10 sent will generally have 200 hps higher then one without that spec.

4. As a caveat to above, flat increases like that bonus in inquis is good if you're undergeared. The better gear you have, the better then % improvements get.
    Last edited by Mayi; 06-21-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Soulwalker

Thank you for all the information

I now fully understand that the healing style of this game really isn't for me. I'm going to focus on learning archon, and drop my cleric.

Thank you for all the information

I now fully understand that the healing style of this game really isn't for me. I'm going to focus on learning archon, and drop my cleric.
    I was just about to post that this guy will never see a raid, and you are wasting your time responding to him, but obviously now you can see it for yourself.

If anyone asks for detailed hand holding, they aren't a good enough healer to raid heal. If they add on "im indecisive (lol)" that is just a nail in the coffin.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly Manly View Post
    I was just about to post that this guy will never see a raid, and you are wasting your time responding to him, but obviously now you can see it for yourself.

If anyone asks for detailed hand holding, they aren't a good enough healer to raid heal. If they add on "im indecisive (lol)" that is just a nail in the coffin.
    Dear Stanly,

I would normally ignore any insult regarding myself on any forum,
    but it does bother me that you did say it was a waste of time for these
    generous individuals to respond to my post. I wanted to know if the healing
    style of this game was a linear and simplistic in raiding content. I was
    not questioning if I was capable of healing this content or not, but that's what
    you certainly got out of my post.

I've been healing in wow for nearly 6 years (which you should have guessed by
    my earlier comment). That's nearly over 380+ days played. Being indecisive is not the greatest trait,
    but I believe it's important to be cautious before I devote hours to this character. I don't just jump
    into raid content without planing ahead, and healing is the only task where I'm not indecisive.
    There's no fight that I did not rank between 5-90 on (worldoflogs) in the first 4 months of cataclysm,
    or in other words I was normally placed in a ranking system that would compare my effectiveness as a
    healer to the other thousands of players that are reported through this site.

Now that I've explained and corrected your misjudgment I would also like to inform you why exactly
    why the information that was shared was so helpful, and why it has saved me many hours of farming
    t1 and t2 . As Minerian said, rotation healing is the way to go. Reactionary healing does not really
    work to well in this game. I personally enjoy using spells on the spot. Knowing which healing spell to
    use in countless situations is an exciting approach to healing. While rotation healing a player is mainly
    using the same order of spells over and over in most situations, and the fact that rotation healing
    exists also means in higher end tier mana isn't that big of a problem for many builds. I dislike the idea
    that only a few spells have a massive impact on my mana bar. This means that there is not as much
    pressure on a healer from a mana controlled point of view, and the pressure is set through directly as damage
    taken by raid or the tank. I saw this a lot with warden/sent builds,and it was very annoying to use the highest
    single target hps rotation from warden and not see my mana drop unless I used aoe spells.
    Overhealing is also encourage by several sources I looked up. The damage is high so healers feel
    some what challenged, and because it's so spiking and mana is not normally a issue this causes a very
    linear game play. "You takes a lot of damage, so I spam heal you in a rotation.

Most people said that most fights are very similar from a healing perspective, and this idea bothers me.
    I can tell anyone what spells I use at any moment in any phase on all the heroic raid bosses I've completed
    in wow, and they are all different. I don't really want to raid in rift as a healer if all the fights seem the same.
    Once again I thank you for everyone's help. I've read your post's line by line, and it's been a great help.
    Last edited by Nytris; 06-21-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Based on your reply, you might enjoy warden healing and would detest MT healing builds. You're absolutely correct in that they're rotation based, with the occasional use of cooldowns.

Warden healing has more depth to it though. You go from raid healing to healing the MT and switch it up dependin on need. You're more of a 'fill in what's needed' and use your judgement. It's also a lot more fun.

Stay away from bard like the black plague.

Your attitude sounds similar to mine in that you like a deeper game in a sense... while I disagree that mana should be an issue versus proper use of abilities, switching on the fly between tank healing, raid healing or basicly just filling in where you're needed is pretty fun. You also might enjoy senticar. Using hots also means you need to be on your toes and anticipate damage before it happens.

In a lot of encounters, the biggest issue is raid healing vs healing the MT. I do agree, MT healing in this game is a set rotation, which is very boring. A lot of healers that I've spoken with don't enjoy the healing mechanic in this game from playing T2 Sent/Purifier builds.
    Last edited by Mayi; 06-21-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Based on your reply, you might enjoy warden healing and would detest MT healing builds. You're absolutely correct in that they're rotation based, with the occasional use of cooldowns.

Warden healing has more depth to it though. You go from raid healing to healing the MT and switch it up dependin on need. You're more of a 'fill in what's needed' and use your judgement. It's also a lot more fun.

Stay away from bard like the black plague.

Your attitude sounds similar to mine in that you like a deeper game in a sense... while I disagree that mana should be an issue versus proper use of abilities, switching on the fly between tank healing, raid healing or basicly just filling in where you're needed is pretty fun. You also might enjoy senticar. Using hots also means you need to be on your toes and anticipate damage before it happens.

In a lot of encounters, the biggest issue is raid healing vs healing the MT. I do agree, MT healing in this game is a set rotation, which is very boring. A lot of healers that I've spoken with don't enjoy the healing mechanic in this game from playing T2 Sent/Purifier builds.

Thank you.... read me like an open book. The limitations of warden is my biggest problem with warden. I may give warden a second go in the future. I do think warden has enough spells in it's arnsel for response healing, and I love feeling that I can respond to any situation with decient warden build (except burst tank damage).

Good stuff... yea with puri-sent it's not even a set rotation, it's a 1 button wonder. Spam the same button over and over again.

Warden can be rewarding too... the hps from a well played warden is pretty crazy. Best thing about it is the difference between a well played warden and not well played warden is huge. A lot is gear no doubt, but if you play it well you'll be in the neighbourhood of doubling other's hps. You'll have to live with uneducated comments every once in a while though, from people who think there's such a thing as 'bad healing' but whatever... I guess people don't like seeing their numbers doubled.

Dear Stanly,

I would normally ignore any insult regarding myself on any forum,
    but it does bother me that you did say it was a waste of time for these
    generous individuals to respond to my post. I wanted to know if the healing
    style of this game was a linear and simplistic in raiding content. I was
    not questioning if I was capable of healing this content or not, but that's what
    you certainly got out of my post.

I've been healing in wow for nearly 6 years (which you should have guessed by
    my earlier comment). That's nearly over 380+ days played. Being indecisive is not the greatest trait,
    but I believe it's important to be cautious before I devote hours to this character. I don't just jump
    into raid content without planing ahead, and healing is the only task where I'm not indecisive.
    There's no fight that I did not rank between 5-90 on (worldoflogs) in the first 4 months of cataclysm,
    or in other words I was normally placed in a ranking system that would compare my effectiveness as a
    healer to the other thousands of players that are reported through this site.

Now that I've explained and corrected your misjudgment I would also like to inform you why exactly
    why the information that was shared was so helpful, and why it has saved me many hours of farming
    t1 and t2 . As Minerian said, rotation healing is the way to go. Reactionary healing does not really
    work to well in this game. I personally enjoy using spells on the spot. Knowing which healing spell to
    use in countless situations is an exciting approach to healing. While rotation healing a player is mainly
    using the same order of spells over and over in most situations, and the fact that rotation healing
    exists also means in higher end tier mana isn't that big of a problem for many builds. I dislike the idea
    that only a few spells have a massive impact on my mana bar. This means that there is not as much
    pressure on a healer from a mana controlled point of view, and the pressure is set through directly as damage
    taken by raid or the tank. I saw this a lot with warden/sent builds,and it was very annoying to use the highest
    single target hps rotation from warden and not see my mana drop unless I used aoe spells.
    Overhealing is also encourage by several sources I looked up. The damage is high so healers feel
    some what challenged, and because it's so spiking and mana is not normally a issue this causes a very
    linear game play. "You takes a lot of damage, so I spam heal you in a rotation.

Most people said that most fights are very similar from a healing perspective, and this idea bothers me.
    I can tell anyone what spells I use at any moment in any phase on all the heroic raid bosses I've completed
    in wow, and they are all different. I don't really want to raid in rift as a healer if all the fights seem the same.
    Once again I thank you for everyone's help. I've read your post's line by line, and it's been a great help.
    1. It was a waste of time. You said cleric was not for you. I was right.
    2. You are asking for quantitative answers to subjective questions. Again, a waste of time.
    3. Plenty of us had healed in WoW for many years as well. You aren't a unique snowflake.
    4. You brag about 380 days played in WoW, yet don't want to spend a week to find out for yourself?
    5. Perhaps your "planning ahead" should include the raiding guild you are in. You are in a raiding guild, right?
    6. Could you brag about WoW some more? That really is impressive...
    7. Just to let you know, the "answers" you got to raid healing are very wrong. There is tons of reactionary healing necessary in raids.
    8. If you think you are wasting hours in t1's t2's, then perhaps you shouldn't play Rift at all. You seem stuck in your own head with all these ideas, yet fail to actually try the game yourself.
    9. Thats all the time I'll give you. Waiting on patch.

+ Reply to Thread