+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stats for Clerics: what about dex/strength?

Default Stats for Clerics: what about dex/strength?

Level 43 Cleric here and have been working through quests as a Just/Sham/Inq with pretty good success.

Lately, I have wondered what are the main stats that I should invest in when runecrafting as well as looking for items.

Originally, I was looking for things with heavy wisdom, spell bower and spell crit, with intelligence coming in later. I never really payed much attention to others like strength and dexterity (I did put some runes on my gear with endurance on them.)

When I was looking at my stats today, I realized, my spell power and spell crit look good, but damn, my dodge, parry, block etc. (BTW, should clerics go 1H or 2H) were very low.

So I ask, is that about right? Am I focusing in the wrong area? Should I do more of a balance?

Was hoping to get some help here.

Thx.

TCG

Rift Disciple

Radak knows all. Radak sees all. Find some of his threads, and his Justicar guides, and read them.
    Last edited by Alexicacon; 06-21-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    If ignorance is bliss, I am quite possibly the happiest man alive.

One doesn't simply "find" Radak's guide. Radak's guide finds you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahax View Post
    One doesn't simply "find" Radak's guide. Radak's guide finds you.
    I'll remember that.

Thx

The issue before was that Justicars were hitting the parry cap with extremely low spell power. So while more int/wis gave them damage, it no longer gave them avoidance / mitigation. Because of this, they'd get planar essences directly stacking str/block.

If you're less that 50, tier 2 geared, only worry about wis/int. How min/maxing end game will change in 1.3 anyway.

If you're not main tanking 5 mans, use a 2h. If you are, s&b is better.

Quote Originally Posted by NatashaK View Post
    The issue before was that Justicars were hitting the parry cap with extremely low spell power. So while more int/wis gave them damage, it no longer gave them avoidance / mitigation. Because of this, they'd get planar essences directly stacking str/block.

If you're less that 50, tier 2 geared, only worry about wis/int. How min/maxing end game will change in 1.3 anyway.

If you're not main tanking 5 mans, use a 2h. If you are, s&b is better.
    Thank you. I appreciate it.

Little bit to go til 50 and need to get geared up. Was collecting information so that when I do hit 50, I have a good combination of being able to: heal, tank, support and DSP.

I have always used 2H as I like it. Might try board and sword for fun when the time comes.

Sounds like, when I hit 50, things change a bit.

Thx

TCg

For DPS:
    As you're probably aware, your caster stats get converted to melee stats when using just/sham/druid, so you really don't want to bother with str/dex/melee hit/crit.

For tanking, see above.

Rift Disciple

DPS isn't the same as tanking. Nor is (or should be) the gear the same. At lvl 43 its no big deal. At lvl 50 doing experts and raid content, you'll need to match your gear to your role. There is no one size fits all for gearing for 2 different roles. Well, not as a cleric anyway, but heal and dps have more overlap. Tanking is its own set of gear. No way around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexicacon View Post
    DPS isn't the same as tanking. Nor is (or should be) the gear the same. At lvl 43 its no big deal. At lvl 50 doing experts and raid content, you'll need to match your gear to your role. There is no one size fits all for gearing for 2 different roles. Well, not as a cleric anyway, but heal and dps have more overlap. Tanking is its own set of gear. No way around that.
    So I am going to 'need a bigger backpack'.
    Last edited by thecoffeeguy; 06-21-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Rift Disciple

Maybe one day they'll have a way to better organize equipment sets ... but for now, yes, you'll need a bigger bag. Well, if you want to do a good job at your role you will ...

But I figure just by the fact you're asking, you must want to do your best.

Maybe one day they'll have a way to better organize equipment sets
    I hope so. saveequip loadequip isn't so bad but it isn't very noob-friendly.
    Last edited by Ninjahax; 06-21-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Rift Disciple

Saveequip loadequip would be just fine if I never swapped from 1h+shield to 2h for dps/healing ...but its way annoying for that.

Well, ok, ok, minorly annoying, and not worth focusing dev time on compared to, say, magic resist tuning ... but its still an annoyance.
    Last edited by Alexicacon; 06-21-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Maybe one day they'll have a way to better organize equipment sets ... but for now, yes, you'll need a bigger bag. Well, if you want to do a good job at your role you will ...

But I figure just by the fact you're asking, you must want to do your best.
    Ya, absolutely. I want to make sure I am 100% prepared for the situation.
    For example, if I am going in as a healer, I want to make sure I am geared correctly as the rest of the group depends heavily on me.

Same for tank, DPS and support.

I want to learn everything I can so I can be effective and a great player.
    Last edited by thecoffeeguy; 06-21-2011 at 01:40 PM.

For DPS it also depends if you're doing melee or ranged. Melee should generally stick to 2H (unless you happen to see higher DPS on a 1H), whereas ranged aren't dependent on weapon DPS and can sometimes benefit more from a 1H and totem/tome combo. Shields are right out.

For stat focus in general you should care more about spell power and spell crit, and indirectly wisdom and intelligence. Strength and dexterity would benefit your melee abilities, but even in the melee souls some abilities are going to depend on your spell stats (especially Jolt from Shaman). For soloing and rifting as I'm sure you've seen you can do fine with DPS stats and just some defensive and healing abilities. For dungeons and raids you should let yourself be squishy and focus on raw DPS. Trust the tank and healer to see you through to safety, and kill things efficiently enough that they have the room to do it.

Healing stats and gear are going to be similar to ranged DPS, excepting that you don't need focus for instances, and of course your greater essences and trinkets are likely to change. You might focus more on spell power than crit depending on your build.

For tanking, as others have said, see Radak's guide and maybe just stalk his posts in general.

RIFT Community Ambassador Radak's Avatar

How is this Radak I keep reading about?
    Cleric tanking: Justicar guide | Justicar spreadsheet and item list
    Defence is as much a part of war as offense, the shield as important a tool as the sword.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast