+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice on a dps spec for T2 Gatekeeper Kaleida

Shadowlander

Question Need advice on a dps spec for T2 Gatekeeper Kaleida

I just did my first random T2 pug today, and got DSM. When we reached Gatekeeper Kaleida, I started initially with the cookie-cutter 31/24/11 Druid/Sha/Inq, but always got murdered during the fire phase by Fireblast or Cleave when the tank was moving around to dodge the fire crystals.

I then switched to the ranged build 51/11/4 inq/sent/ward from the Raiding Inquisitor 1.2 thread. However, we couldn't outdps the earth crystals; I was only pulling 450 dps, and the other 2 dps didn't help much either with 340 & 239.

tl;dr: For this kind of encounter, what's the best single-target ranged spec for a cleric with only T1 & crafted gear (my unbuffed stats: 822 SP, 575 SC)? Also for future reference since I pug a lot, what's the minimum group DPS that ought to have given me a hint that we might not be able to complete this instance?

I'm a big fan of using a Jolt Inquisitor for 5-mans. Gives you a lot of mobility and decent dps. It does more damage in melee (because of Jolt and Lightning Hammer) but it can still do reasonably well at range. It's also pretty easy to play.

Open with Spiritual Deficiency to debuff the mob (might not be necessary on earth crystals of Kaleida), then Fanaticism -> Sanction Heretic, then Vex. Maintain Vex and SH. Use the instant Bolt of Depravity if it procs off of SH. You may find the following macro useful, but you will have to maintain Vex "manually":

suppressmacrofailures
    cast Fanaticism // I don't include this in my macro because I like to manage it manually
    cast Sanction Heretic
    cast Lightning Hammer
    cast Waterjet
    cast Jolt

Waterjet does a surprising amount of damage and can be spammed while moving. I would advise staying in melee range of Kaleida until you have to move (fire phase) and then plug at him either with Waterjet spam (while moving) or BoD (preferable if you can just sit still and cast).

With this spec you also get reasonably good AoE for trash clearing.
    Last edited by Sheridyn; 06-21-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by liutena View Post
    I just did my first random T2 pug today, and got DSM. When we reached Gatekeeper Kaleida, I started initially with the cookie-cutter 31/24/11 Druid/Sha/Inq, but always got murdered during the fire phase by Fireblast or Cleave when the tank was moving around to dodge the fire crystals.

I then switched to the ranged build 51/11/4 inq/sent/ward from the Raiding Inquisitor 1.2 thread. However, we couldn't outdps the earth crystals; I was only pulling 450 dps, and the other 2 dps didn't help much either with 340 & 239.

tl;dr: For this kind of encounter, what's the best single-target ranged spec for a cleric with only T1 & crafted gear (my unbuffed stats: 822 SP, 575 SC)? Also for future reference since I pug a lot, what's the minimum group DPS that ought to have given me a hint that we might not be able to complete this instance?
    Your dps isn't bad given your gear level.

Drop shards of light and go 5 warden, that's costing you a little dps. Work on your macros and keeping your dot time up.

As for how much dps you need... that's hard. The gatekeepr fight is easy, keep a 50% healing debuff on him and the fight is pretty simple. I've limped through that fight with some awful dps (43 minute long fight with me healing). The problem is 2 bosses later which is a hard dps check. The rule of thumb I use, is assuming proper gear level (is focus/hit) your spec, macros and rotation should give you 500-600 dps. Everything after that is largely based on gear.

Prophet of Telara

The cookie cutter build will have the best DPS available for taking out the earth crystals.

During fire phases use Bolt of Depravity against Kaleida while popping Sanction Heretic and Bombard when available. Don't stand in melee range, Fire Blast will do you something wicked.

In general, the tank should just eat the fire crystals. In general, the tank should eat whatever aoe close ranged attack in T2 since moving bosses around can easily cause more trouble than it is worth.

51 Cabalist will likely do you a bit better damage if your gear is on the lower side. Inquisitor builds will start to out damage it once you get better gear though.

Soulwalker

Stay 31/24/11 - if your pet is specced into reduced AOE damage, it shouldn't die from Fire Blast. You shouldn't be getting hit by cleave so that's not an issue.
    When the boss starts casting Fire Blast, you can move out of it and run back in afterwards.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ponytoucher View Post
    Your dps isn't bad given your gear level.

Drop shards of light and go 5 warden, that's costing you a little dps. Work on your macros and keeping your dot time up.

As for how much dps you need... that's hard. The gatekeepr fight is easy, keep a 50% healing debuff on him and the fight is pretty simple. I've limped through that fight with some awful dps (43 minute long fight with me healing). The problem is 2 bosses later which is a hard dps check. The rule of thumb I use, is assuming proper gear level (is focus/hit) your spec, macros and rotation should give you 500-600 dps. Everything after that is largely based on gear.
    Wow. 43 minutes... I don't remember what the time it took for my run, but I'm sure it went through 5 earth phases... But they did nerf the 4 crystal boss, since we were able to somehow one-shot him even though we sludged through the gatekeeper...

If you're running melee in gatekeeper, keep in mind that you can have the tank move back a bit from the boss when he's casting fire blast. If you're hauling ***, the tank should only need to move back about half his character width to have melee escape the aoe splash.

+ Reply to Thread