+ Reply to Thread

Thread: magic resist vs Justicar -- idea

Rift Disciple

Default magic resist vs Justicar -- idea

How's this for an idea to close the elemental gap a tad better.

Modify Doctrine of Authority to also include a self-aura for a 7% reduction in non-physical damage to the Justicar for 18 seconds.

Rift Disciple

A good concept, currently my builds for the patch dont include the idea of a 51 point build as there isnt a strong reason to head there.

10% rather than 7% is more in the direction we need added...

Its a nice simple concept, deals with our concerns and forces us to 51 points to get it

Rift Disciple

Yeah, coupled with the current 1.3 changes, I think adding that to DoA would be a fairly painless way to bridge the remaining mitigation discrepancy. And at 51, it would require a dedicated justicar build to do so.

Rift Disciple

Also, while I don't know of any 51 point justicar PVP builds, doing it as a buff effect off DoA would mean it could be dispelled in PVP if anyone ever chose to PVP with it.

Though I think the idea of adding more passive magic resist to an existing skill, and as a buff, is a good idea, putting it at 51 points essentially means that all cleric tanks will have to go 51 points. I am a firm believer than the core tanking skills should be accessible by 40 points and the rest of it should be able versatility and options.

Rift Disciple

Well, there should also be some good and compelling reward/ability for those folks who go 51 points deep in a spec. Adding this to DoA would take nothing away from what's already there, and would only round out the class's non physical mitigation for those willing to invest all the way.

It would not detract any from lower end justicar specs, nor invalidate them - or force anyone to go 51 points, but I do think those who choose to go 51 points should have something to really put them over and above those who do not. I like DoA, but I think adding an 18s 10% resist buff to it would fix the remaining mitigation issues, and make it shine as a desirable 51 point talent.

It's simply a choice players who want a little more magic mitigation would have available to them. Void knights also have to spec to 51 to get their top end mitigation, and its a passive, vs an activated melee ability that would require a conviction such as proposed here.
    Last edited by Alexicacon; 06-20-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Rift Disciple

I don't necessarily put a little more magic resistance as a "core tanking skill", either. I see it as an option to help round out the class a little more if the player chooses to do so, so that's why I think putting it onto DoA is a good option.

DoA is already a good enough reason as it stands to go 51 points. It's theoretically our highest threat generating ability and provides damage and healing (double healing actually) in one ability.

Void Knights do not spec 51 points for that ability since they can acquire more resist (only considering magic here) from other trees for less investment.

Ciderhelm
    With Patch 1.2, we now have Accord of Emptiness, a 20% physical damage reduction and 10% magical damage reduction buff. This is a 51-point ability.

Let's start with the physical damage reduction aspect of this. Because Paladin and Warlord armor buffs are in the first tier of their respective trees, you can afford to max these out even with a 51-point Void Knight build. Additionally, you can still afford more Block and Threat Generation out of Paladin with the 5 remaining points. Because Accord of Emptiness can be combined with all of this, it is hands-down the best physical damage reduction investment possible.

Magic damage reduction is a different story. Accord of Emptiness is effectively a 26 point additional talent investment to get there from Devourer, the really good magic talent in Void Knight. Those same 26 points, when invested into Reaver, and the remainder in Paladin, give significantly better returns on Magic Damage Reduction, in addition to being far more exciting to play and holding aggro more solidly.
    Linking a MRes buff to MoL (such as passive per point) or further increasing the buff from Thorvin's Law (10/20) would be a more practical application since only tanks use those 2 abilities in the first place and it would not require a 70%+ investment of our points into a single tree.

I don't think Alexicacon has a terrible idea here, but I'd have to agree with Asmiroth on this one. If they're going to increase magic resistance again, I don't think it should be an attachment to an existing root ability in the way Alex suggests. It ought to be somewhere in the tree, or a passive increase in the root. I'm all for buffs, though

I'd love some tweaks to our threat, at this point. Justicars on my server are tanking just about everything, until they lose aggro. And it's happening often. WTB an increase to the AP scaling of our attacks, or a passive that increases the threat from over-healing, or something.

Also, 100th post.
    Last edited by beawr; 06-20-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Cleric Tank -Guardian- Sunrest
    <Esti Efiu>

Rift Disciple

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of tucking (up to an additional 10% at 51) in as a scaling passive. But I think giving the full resist boost within the first 36-40 points would be over the top.

Especially if factoring in PVP builds that could take advantage of that much resistance with enough points left over to spend so high elsewhere.
    Last edited by Alexicacon; 06-20-2011 at 11:46 AM.

+ Reply to Thread