+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Staff vs hammer for druids?

Soulwalker

Default Staff vs hammer for druids?

Ok well i see people debating over staff and hammer but no one has any proof/math/parses that prove one over the other. Atleast i was unable to find any.

Can someone please show me if a staff + witchstone is better then a hammer + weaponstone.

I've read the post about a witchstone being better then a weaponstone, but that only proved that that stone is better then the other, not if the weapon (staff or hammer) does more dps.

Rift Disciple

For Melee Cleric DPS something like 80% of your dmg is Physical, meaning a Hammer would be better if of = stats to a Staff with Witchstone. The two 4hr buffs (+15% crit ceiling) are identical just one is physical one is magical, one is Staff and one is Hammer. What you need to determine via parses is how much % of the total DPS you push is from Physical abilities verses how much comes from magic. Just because most of what a Druid/Shaman/Inq has on it's bars in Physical dmg doesn't mean those abilities necessarily are the highest % of your total DPS. Consider also ur Satyr is a huge portion of ur total DPS and doesn't count what weapon ur using.

Prophet of Telara

in a pure druid, the weaponstone wins hands down, since most of your attacks are physical.

in the classic cookie cutter build it's more blurry since you have a balance of physical and magical attacks.

magical:
    votws
    crag hammer
    bombard
    lightning
    jolt
    sanction heretic
    sanction
    eruption of life

physical:
    combined
    massive blow
    lighnting hammer
    fervent strike
    auto-attack

if you do a detailed parse, you will see that ~60%of your damage is MAGICAL, not physical. That would imply that witchstone is better than weapon stone.

BUT it is my understanding that witchstone doesn't work for magical damage, but magical damage SPELLS. from all the above, magical spells are:
    lightning
    sanction heretic
    sanction
    jolt
    bombard

so if the above do more damage than:
    combined
    massive blow
    lighnting hammer
    fervent strike
    auto-attack

then use a witchstone, if not use a weaponstone. My parsers say that weaponstone is better, at least for me. Even if i am wrong, and witchstones affect mellee skills that do magical attacks, votws+crag hammer cannot crit, so you have to either test without them on, or subtract them manually from your parser. The same goes for the 3 procs of eruption of life (i have never noticed them proc, only the original hit)

Ultimately what it boils down to is what you have access to. Pick the weapon with the better dps/stat allocations. It's already been said, but if you access to equally matched weapons, then pick whatever suits you best. Are you using more spells in your rotation than melee dps? Go with the staff/witchstone. Personally though, unless the staff has a significant impact on performance, I'm going with the mace. Clunking Guardians with a staff just doesn't have the same affect as crushing skulls with a hammer.

I went to click on very cute kitty in a town, I thought maybe they'd be an emote or the cat would meow, instead I murdered it... and looted a Cat Tear...
    This mace was made for swingin'
    So that's just what I'll do
    Pop Rage of the North and **** all over you

Shield of Telara

This isn't really going to matter on Wednesday because whetstones/witchstones change from being +15% critical strike to +311 damage on a critical strike. Effectively, making them exactly the same item for our purposes.
    Tsarin - Sunrest (PVP-RP) - Eth DPS Cleric (50) - Static

Plane Walker

It does matter after the patch, you still need spell critsto get the thing to proc. After the patch no matter what a weaponstone is more than likely going to be way better.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by KetMalice View Post
    It does matter after the patch, you still need spell critsto get the thing to proc. After the patch no matter what a weaponstone is more than likely going to be way better.
    i am not so sure.

the physical damage comes at most 1/1.5sec but usually 1/3sec. while the magica one procs off the gcd (jolt) or is accounted 2 times (sanction heretic+sanction, lighning portion of the lightning hammer), meaning that there may be more chances for it to proc.

whichever is better after 1.3 will be determined from things like proc chance and icd.
    Last edited by shroudb; 06-20-2011 at 04:58 AM.

Take the hammer and make a mage's day.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Carolius View Post
    Take the hammer and make a mage's day.
    and then never be able to spec rdps... not so sure.

+ Reply to Thread