+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Death's Grasp or Walk in the Light? Critical calculation?

Telaran

Default Death's Grasp or Walk in the Light? Critical calculation?

Hello Clerics,

I hope you can give me some quick advise. Today I argued with a friend what 3rd soul would be the best to take for a 51 Inq/5 Ward/10 X build - Sentinel with WitL or Cabalist with Death's Grasp. OFC there must be a certain value of your SC rating that makes WitL more useful than DG.

We did not come to a conclusion because we could not figure out how the critical attack really is calculated. A critical seems to be 150% of normal damage. So will it be 170% (150% + 20%) or 180% (150% * 1.2)? I'm also working on a spreadsheet simulator for Inquisitor builds, so any help is much appreciated.

PS: Please don't argue with the Root Abilities. I know that Healing Breath is nice to have.

20% more critical damage brings it from 150% to 170%.

The 20% thing would take it from 170% to 190% in this case, because you already had the identical talent from inquisitor.

So 190/170 = 1.118. Or an 11.8% increase to damage *when you crit*. So to be better than 5% extra damage, you would need 5/11.8 = ~42.4% crit.

I would say above 42.4% crit, sentinel passives would be better, below that mark cabalist passives. Napkin math here though, exactly zero actual in-game testing.

From a pure DPS pespective your better off dropping warden as well, 46/10/10 inq/sham/sent for a total of 210% crit damage bonus, but this only works when you get your crit upto a high enough level.

I did some parsing at 50% crit and this spec came out roughly 100 DPS higher than a 51/10/5 using sentinel and cabalist or warden.

Higher you can get your crit the bigger the gap becomes between the builds.

Telaran

Thank you guys for your help, I can finish my spreadsheet simulation with that. For my Inq it seems clear that right now he gets most DPS out of 5 Warden + 10 Cab.

Rift Disciple

Good god, this again.

Given our damage can be partially modeled as:
    where X = base damage output from spell power. So this works only on comparing crit rate and overall damage multipliers, IE when changing specs.

(1-crit rate)*(X*damage modifier if any)+(crit rate)*(X)*crit damage multiplier*damage multiplier

10sent/sham

crit rate = .5
    Crit Damage multiplier = 2.1
    Damage multiple = N/A
    .5X+1.05x=1.55x final damage

10sent/cab
    1.05 damage multiplier
    1.9 crit damage multiplier
    .525x+.9975x = 1.5x
    Then you need to add in the bonus to spell power, which given a number of the spell coeffeicents you use contributes MORE than 5% (SH/vex)

Also, when you look at the equation you'll see that this depends on how much crit you have, the lower your crit the less the sent/shaman spec does the more the higher it does.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ponytoucher View Post
    Good god, this again.

Also, when you look at the equation you'll see that this depends on how much crit you have, the lower your crit the less the sent/shaman spec does the more the higher it does.
    Yes, thats what I said in my initial post. I can also put the numbers together. My question was how exactly the +20% crit damage works. NotTrev answered it already.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lowbob View Post
    Yes, thats what I said in my initial post. I can also put the numbers together. My question was how exactly the +20% crit damage works. NotTrev answered it already.
    That was in response to Usman, not you.

Soulwalker

asdqwdasdqwdasd

+ Reply to Thread