+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Melee weapon question

Default Melee weapon question

Hi I'm wondering if the stats on a staff outweigh the extra weapon dps on the hammer. I already have a t2 hammer and staff and with the staff I parse my dps higher. So what are your thoughts?

http://rift.zam.com/en/item/D9BAF65601010101/Runebinder
    or
    http://rift.zam.com/en/item/FEDE8BE6...of-the-Cyclone

<Flying Tutties>

Staff/Int weapons are generally better for dps and hammer/wisdom weapons for healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixpha View Post
    Staff/Int weapons are generally better for dps and hammer/wisdom weapons for healing.
    That's true for ranged users, but melee will almost always prefer hammers due to their slower speed and therefore higher max damage (for more burst), that is unless the staff is much better in stats.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by AlexiousITA View Post
    That's true for ranged users, but melee will almost always prefer hammers due to their slower speed and therefore higher max damage (for more burst), that is unless the staff is much better in stats.
    Speed and damage ranges only effect auto-attacks. Nothing more.

Ability damage that uses weapon damage uses a weapons DPS.

Also if you are able to get witchstones a staff would be better than a hammer.
    Sonora - 50 Rogue - 8 Bladedancer/51 Riftstalker/7 Ranger - All round tank build.
    Teralia - 50 Warrior - 22 Reaver/24 Warlord/20 Paladin - A fun to play AoE threat build.
    Karis - 46 Mage - 24 Chloromancer/27 Pyromancer/10 Warlock - A high burst support heal PvP/Solo build.
    Tarille - 50 Cleric - 5 Templar/27 Warden/34 Sentinel - A powerful AoE healing PvP build.

Soulwalker

Melee DPS builds gain more from staffs from the simple use of the Witchstones; 10%-15% more crit damage outweighs weapon speed when both of the melee dps souls(not counting Justicar with MoH) rely heavily on crit to reach their top end dps.
    Trolling:
    1. The act of saying something that makes you look like an idiot.
    2. Considered successful when a member of the community points out "You are an idiot."

You might not know it but dmg is normalized on the weapons, meaning the high end dmg and speed makes no difference, only thing u need to look for on top there is the "dps" on it. a slower high end dmg weapon will not do more dps on white hits in Rift. 20 dps hammer and 20 dps staff will do the same.
    Last edited by Ixpha; 06-18-2011 at 04:04 AM.

Ok I did not know about the normalization. So I just have to weigh the stats now.

It's 482,48 SP and 24 crit rating on the mace vs 463,88 SP and 45 crit rating on the staff.

1 SP = 2 crit right? So the mace would be better or am I horribly wrong here?

<Flying Tutties>

Quote Originally Posted by Device View Post
    1 SP = 2 crit right?
    With this I mean that 1 SP on gear is as good as 2 crit on gear, not that 1 SP converts to 2 crit

<Flying Tutties>

I usually prefer hammers, while doing dps. You might argue that staffs give more crit which is true but, honestly once you hit around 50% crit raid buffed i prefer going wisdom / SP. and yes hitting 50% as druid/sham or even inq is really easy in a raid environment.
    So instead of trying to ninja mage loot take the really good cleric alternatives out there. and yes there are loads in both ros and GSC.

as for witch stones you can work around that if youre smart

sounds like a job for the math wiz tho. depends on the dps build your going with tho, shaman/druid/inq cookie cutter build(raid/instance) requires to have alot of crit for the off gcd Jolt in particular. While Inquisitor builds do require alot of crit as well for corporal punishment, but there is another in depth thread about the inquisitor on the first page "the raiding inquisitor"

Quote Originally Posted by Lillithh View Post
    I usually prefer hammers, while doing dps. You might argue that staffs give more crit which is true but, honestly once you hit around 50% crit raid buffed i prefer going wisdom / SP. and yes hitting 50% as druid/sham or even inq is really easy in a raid environment.
    So instead of trying to ninja mage loot take the really good cleric alternatives out there. and yes there are loads in both ros and GSC.

as for witch stones you can work around that if youre smart
    Going from the 2 weapons he posted, gear wise i very much doubt he is anywhere near 50% SC raidbuffed. So for OP: the staff is better imo.

+ Reply to Thread