+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Bad patch is bad

Plane Touched

Please do not use my guides as leverage against anybody. They were written to help people. If anyone was able to use them for any positive reason at all, then I was successful in what I set out to do.

With that said, I did release many of my guides (not videos) before anything had been written on the subject.

I'm not going to get into this too much, but I am hoping my perspective might help out a bit. Let me put this simply, Yavi is a liar. I don't want a liar in my raid. This is the #1 reason he was removed from the guild.

When he was removed, it was explained to him why he was removed. It was also unanimously voted on to remove him by the leadership. There were no piled up complaints. There also was no warning given. He was a trial who had been in the guild about a week. He wasn't worth a warning.

I could have decided to believe everything he said, kept him, and lost a warrior dps, and 3 rogues, but he wasn't worth it. From a raid leaders perspective, who was having trouble fielding numbers, this would have been a poor choice.

The second thing yavi ever told me was that he could not raid. He did however proceed to spam me in tells every raid day begging for an invite. When I informed him that I did not have a raid spot based on what he told me, he said he never said that. When he could have just said his schedule had changed, he decided to lie about it.

This blatant lie, the sp issue, and supposedly stealing from his minecraft server made me have absolutely no interest in keeping him in our guild.

I apologize for my disjointed post (posting from my phone), and would request that all parties involved drop the topic.

TL;Dr
    Our guild leadership as a whole decided yavi was not going to work out in <Unstable>. He's in a guild that is working out for him now and thats great.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by KetFoH View Post
    Also Fluxions, a good healer DOES NOT end the fight with 0% mana. If you are running on pace and your chloro/senticar/warden/inquisicar/whatever's go down and the boss is about dead, but you are sitting at 3% mana, that doesn't help any, you get to spam one HC before OOM. A good healer doesn't go OOM and keeps everyone alive. Saying you should burn your mana is just wrong.
    Because it's so easy to misconstrue, I'd like to reiterate what I wrote originally to point out a few subtleties. I agree with a lot of what you wrote, but I stand by my statements, which are best quoted together in order to maintain context:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxions
    > A good (non-Justicar) healer will end a challenging fight with precisely 0% mana
    > A good healer will be healing from start to finish, without pause. If you're not casting, you're either bad, or running too many healers.
    Non-Justicar added for clarity (since Justicar healers really weren't the topic of discussion and are basically unaffected by the mana changes).

...I think anyone with raiding experience can agree that an ideal comp runs bare minimum healers for maximum efficiency and DPS. If your raid comp intends to maximize its output, and the fight is sufficiently challenging, everyone will exhaust their resources by the end of the fight. The DPS will use their consumables and cooldowns, execute their rotation perfectly, and will neither be rage starved nor carry a surplus. Similarly, the healers will use their cooldowns, execute their rotation perfectly, and will neither be mana starved nor carry a surplus.

In the interest of longevity, it's true that a good healer won't blow through their mana pool immediately, that's not what I was suggesting. But I am suggesting that a good healer makes intelligent judgment calls, uses all resources available to them, and extends themselves as much as possible in order to accommodate higher raid DPS. On a fight like Alsbeth, where you could either cover all bases with 7 healers or run skeleton crew, I would suggest skimping and forcing them to use flares, pots, and higher-efficiency rotations. When Help healed Alsbeth for RG1 last week, he was a perfect example of maximum efficiency and full utilization of healing capability. He needed to flare & pot, but he ended the fight with low mana, top HPS, and a high effective healing ratio. As a ward/sent with 0 DPS, Help did exactly what was expected of his assignment: top HPS and max utilization. If he hadn't met these expectations, he would have been dead weight, best replaced by a hybrid.

The adage that a "good healer ends a fight oom" (simplified) encourages raid comps to utilize their healers completely. It doesn't strictly mean that a good healer MUST end a fight oom, but it does mean that your raid comp is inefficient if full-heal clerics are ending fights above 30%. This doesn't always apply to the MT healer, particularly if 51 Puri, but as a matter of practice I do encourage MT healers to assist with raid heals (within their comfort level only).

Quote Originally Posted by delindsay
    - A slightly undergeared Healer for the content will likely OOM.
    - A Healer spamming AOE when it's uneeded to pad numbers will likely OOM.
    - A Raid group that's too stupid to move from AOE dmg on the ground or pay attn to Raid mechanics can cause an otherwise good Healer to OOM.
    - A slightly undergeared Tank for the content can cause a Healer to OOM.
    - Running too few Healers for the content because DPS in low can cause a Healer to OOM.
    All true, but irrelevant to the audience I was addressing.

As far as your other comments, I'll respond by underlining a few keywords in my statement (and clarifying parenthetically further):

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxions
    > A good (non-Justicar) healer will end a challenging fight with precisely 0% mana.
    > A good healer will be healing from start to finish, without pause. If you're not casting, you're either bad, or running too many healers.
    It's important to point out that a good healer, familiar with the fight, can anticipate "danger zones" within damage patterns and adjust their rotation accordingly, conserve pots/cascade if the possibility of a healer death is high, play defensively if needed, etc. Hence, "a good healer (with this foresight) will end a challenging fight with precisely 0% mana."

You don't need to agree with me, but this philosophy has served me very well and I stand by it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4