+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What counts as a "spell"?

Default What counts as a "spell"?

So I'm looking at this warden talent, Destructive Tide. Now I can guess that the damage bonus will affect Water Jet. However, would it also affect something like Lightning Hammer? Is there a difference between abilities and spells? If so, how can I tell what it is? Thank you.

It effects all instant cast abilities, regardless of what soul they belong to if it's soul-specific, as far as warden is concerned, the ability tool tip will say something about effecting only water-based spells or heal-over-time spells. for us, "abilities" and "spells" are the same.
    Last edited by Sathrosess; 06-16-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Sathrosess View Post
    It effects all instant cast abilities, regardless of what soul they belong to if it's soul-specific, as far as warden is concerned, the ability tool tip will say something about effecting only water-based spells or heal-over-time spells. for us, "abilities" and "spells" are the same.
    Nope, Jolt seems to be the only thing that counts as a spell, in Shaman or Druid taht is.
    Candy

Quote Originally Posted by KetFoH View Post
    Nope, Jolt seems to be the only thing that counts as a spell, in Shaman or Druid taht is.
    Hmm perhaps "instant cast" means just that, it must be a casted ability. I guess I hadn't thought of that, since the OP was asking about spells I assumed he/she was a casting cleric So maybe it's better to assume that the ability does not effect melee of any sort.
    Last edited by Sathrosess; 06-16-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Well, that's really a shame, I was hoping to made Warden my third soul, I liked the hots and dispels, and the Storm Orbs looked neat. But I'm not sure if it meshes so well now.

If it "requires melee weapon" it's not a spell.

Soulwalker

I'm new here, and probably wrong, but I thought I read someone say something about Justicar damage abilities except the shield bash (PoR) being spells rather than melee skills.

Is it actually as simple as "anything that doesn't require melee weapon?" I can imagine that version makes a lot more sense -- skills using a weapon would use melee crit, so everything else would use spell crit.

You have to look at the description in the tooltip. Lightning Hammer is described in it's tooltip as physical damage, therefore it's not spell damage. Something like Sovereignty in the justicar tree is described as life damage, therefore it's spell damage.

There are many more spells in the justicar tree than there are in the shaman or druid trees. Shaman tree only has Jolt so far as I can tell, druid trees has Bombard and Eruption of Life.

Rivellana - R7 Eth Cleric (Retired)
    Lexxii - R6 Dwarf Cleric

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    You have to look at the description in the tooltip. Lightning Hammer is described in it's tooltip as physical damage, therefore it's not spell damage. Something like Sovereignty in the justicar tree is described as life damage, therefore it's spell damage.

There are many more spells in the justicar tree than there are in the shaman or druid trees. Shaman tree only has Jolt so far as I can tell, druid trees has Bombard and Eruption of Life.
    Nope, even the Justicar spells other than the taunts are all melee skills. Whether it is magic damage or not doesn't matter.
    Candy

Telaran

melee 'abilities' casted 'spells'

+ Reply to Thread