+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inq DPS Rotation/Build Questions

Soulwalker

Default Inq DPS Rotation/Build Questions

Recently, I began a Inq DPS spec in an attempt to make forming a party a little easier. The more I play it, the more I love it, but he more frustrated I become. I just seem to find it really difficult to compete with some people in DPS both on the dummy and in 5 man expert T2 dungeons.

Here are some Approx stats (within 25 points. I'm not able to log in at the moment :P):
    SP: 1050
    SCrit: 550
    Focus: 180

I pull an average of 700 DPS on the dummy with only self buffs. I can pull up to 850 in party with bard/archon.

Priority List: Sanctioned Heritic > Vex > BoD > BoJ pre instant BoD proc > Shards of Light > BoJ

I have macroed my Fanaticism to my BoD and my SH, so I usually am able to use it every cool down on a hard hitting nuke.

So my questions:
    1. Am I doing something wrong in my theoretical rotation? Or is it just Human Error? Or am I about on par with where I should be at my current stats?
    2. Do you feel by build is viable? If not, what would you recommend?
    3. Should SH and Vex be priority over BoD?

Any help would be wonderful! (PS - No flaming please, I'm just honestly looking for help.)

Rift Disciple

Why would you ever use shards of light? BoJ hits for 730-810 depending on buffs and crits for around 1500. So in 4 seconds you can do 2100-4000 damage from BoJ (2 and 2/3rd casts). It also won't proc a BoD which you MUST get one every 10s or your dps nosedives.

Other than that, you're at where you should be gear wise.
    Last edited by Ponytoucher; 06-16-2011 at 12:58 PM.

The 7% magic increase should be the first thing applied on st/mt

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ponytoucher View Post
    Why would you ever use shards of light? BoJ hits for 730-810 depending on buffs and crits for around 1500. So in 4 seconds you can do 2100-4000 damage from BoJ (2 and 2/3rd casts). It also won't proc a BoD which you MUST get one every 10s or your dps nosedives.

Other than that, you're at where you should be gear wise.
    I never use Shards of Light pre BoD proc. I only use it AFTER BoD has proced AND BoD has > 4 secs left on it's CD. As a nuke, I believe that SoL is better DPS than BoJ, but I could be wrong. I'll test it when I get back online. I got the idea from the stickied thread on this forum. Check it out http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...nquisitor-v1.2

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    The 7% magic increase should be the first thing applied on st/mt
    XD! Of course! I forgot to put that. I always keep it up when I am DPSing on the dummy. I thought that was implied by "self buffs" but I suppose I wasn't clear.

What spec are you actually running / what off-points? You might consider saving your Fanaticism for whichever of Sanction Heretic or Bolt of Depravity is hitting harder (Sanction Heretic seems to win in my current build of 51 Inq / 10 Sent / 5 Warden), supposing you can see it'll be available soon. I second the comment that you should really make sure you have BoD procced each time it is off cooldown. Re-applying Vex or SD is the only thing for which I could see pausing spamming BoJ/SH until BoD is procced. I've found Aggressive Renewal does some nice laser damage, but I save it for when BoD is procced and still on cooldown, and I don't need to reapply Vex or anything.

Soulwalker

You should be getting about 720-730 with your gear even without spiritual deficiency.

I'd recommend dropping shards of light completely. While it is higher DPS than BoJ, not only does it not mesh well with a 15 second rotation, but also you can't queue up spells after it, creating even more dead time. Try a parse with just
    Sanction, Vex, BoJ until BoD proc, making sure to keep sanction and vex on the dummy full time. If you keep SD up, you should end up at around 770 DPS.

I run BoD spam in melee range.

Run in casting Spiritual Deficiency, Sanction Heretic, Vex, get to melee range, cast Soul Drain, then BoD spam. Recast Soul Drain, reapply Sanction Heretic and Vex, then BoD spam again.

Raid buffed, just about 1050sp, I pull about 820 dps, and with the two 7% debuffs, I boost the other mages of the raid as well (so I consider my passive dps even higher ^_^).
    Last edited by Toogeloo; 06-17-2011 at 01:05 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Pragious View Post
    Recently, I began a Inq DPS spec in an attempt to make forming a party a little easier. The more I play it, the more I love it, but he more frustrated I become. I just seem to find it really difficult to compete with some people in DPS both on the dummy and in 5 man expert T2 dungeons.

Here are some Approx stats (within 25 points. I'm not able to log in at the moment :P):
    SP: 1050
    SCrit: 550
    Focus: 180

I pull an average of 700 DPS on the dummy with only self buffs. I can pull up to 850 in party with bard/archon.

Priority List: Sanctioned Heritic > Vex > BoD > BoJ pre instant BoD proc > Shards of Light > BoJ

I have macroed my Fanaticism to my BoD and my SH, so I usually am able to use it every cool down on a hard hitting nuke.

So my questions:
    1. Am I doing something wrong in my theoretical rotation? Or is it just Human Error? Or am I about on par with where I should be at my current stats?
    2. Do you feel by build is viable? If not, what would you recommend?
    3. Should SH and Vex be priority over BoD?

Any help would be wonderful! (PS - No flaming please, I'm just honestly looking for help.)
    First off to clarify, SoL should ONLY be used when you have a Life and Death proc available, but the cooldown is on it. I.E. I get L&D to proc, hit BoD, cast BoJ, my L&D procs again but it won't let me hit BoD due to the cooldown, THATS when you use SoL only when you get a double proc with a cooldown.

Why? Shards of Light will do more damage in 4 seconds than BoJ will. The only reason you even USE BoJ is to proc BoD in the first place, otherwise you'd just be using BoD. If you've got a proc waiting for you, you gain more damage with SoL. If anyone disagrees, do the math. Oh and theorhetical "BoJ is 1.5sec cast therefore you get 2.5 casts of BoJ"... thats theorhetical, you will never get a .5 cast, its either cast or its not. Not worth factoring in, but even if you do, you'll come out below SoL, so up to you on if you want to waste your time.

I value BoD > SH/Vex IF its a proc from L&D. Otherwise always put your DoTs up, (remember SH can proc BoD, so use the proc first because you might get another off SH).

Fanaticism should ONLY be used on BoD, its a waste to use it on SH, the numbers regarding this are in my thread somewhere, either find them or do the testing yourself and you'll find why. (has to do with Symbol of Corruption really and the already hard hitting nature of BoD).

Hope this helps

Plane Touched

In the time I can pop BoJ twice for 2600-3000 approx on crits, I can get SoL to hit for 3600ish on crits. I use it exactly as Sokanon described, during the downtime phase of an active LaDC proc.

Affinity - Dayblind
    50 Cleric - Ciru
    50 Rogue - Voraz
    50 Warrior - Guerrera
    50 Mage - Jasyere

You forgot to post the most important thing... your spec.

+ Reply to Thread