+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Must read!!

Rift Disciple

Default Must read!!

OK, so i have been reading through the Cleric Forums for a while now. The main problem i feel is that all callings not just cleric's have 8 different souls. Each soul has its uses and benefits. Warriors can MELEE/RANGE DPS and TANK. Rogues can HEAL, MELEE/RANGE DPS and TANK. Clerics can HEAL, MELEE/RANGE DPS and TANK. Mages can HEAL and RANGE DPS. I dont know much about Rogues or warriors too much. When you reach capped level you will eventually have to decide which spec (HEAL/MELEE/RANGE/TANK) you will have to play for raiding due to the Gear stats that are optimal for that particular spec and how long it takes to get that specific type of gear.

Now, look at all the callings and there souls/gear. Rogues, Cleric's and Warriors have multiple different gear sets. Mage's only need one kind of gear set for all of there soul's. To me, that seems like they will have a better chance on any drop to get what they need than any other calling. I am a Cleric, and i have never played nor gotten any of the melee souls. I play Heal as my main and DPS as secondary spec. I use all three healing souls and i personally like them and what they can do. From what i have read on the Cleric Forums, the general consensus is that Cabalist is pretty much a worthless soul to use as a main. To me it seems Trion didn't really know what they were getting themselves into by having 8 Souls per calling. You have the main souls that everyone loves and uses, and than you have other souls that are pretty much useless except for maybe some hybrid builds. When everyone uses those "main builds", that is Trions focus for each patch. Leaving the other souls to fend for themselves. If you actually look outside the box, the balancing issue seems to stem from each calling having 8 souls to mix and match. And than you have the Mages which complicate everything.

A Mage can switch to DPS or HEAL without ever having to switch gear sets. If you read through the forums....most people will say that Mage's can out DPS any other calling and if not out-heal than be on the same level as the best healers in the game. And from what i have seen on the Patch notes, it looks like they are getting buffed. This is all my personal opinion of course. But i would like to see what the RIFT community and Trion feels about this post and what comments they would like to share.

Thanks,
    Papahodge

Rift Disciple

anyone?..........

Even after re-reading your post I still have no idea what you are saying.

Are you complaining that mages only have 1 gear set and we have 3? All 8 souls for Clerics have a use and that cannot be said for any of the other classes.

Read more, post less.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHodge View Post
    anyone?..........
    You really want to know what I think? You should never use the phrase 'Must read' followed by something as innane as what you posted.

I'm guessing you haven't raided very long either in rift or in other games. Unlike in other games, good players show up to a raid able to fulfill any one of several jobs, depending on raid makeup or fight. This isn't wow, where if you are a warlock or mage you're only dps and utterly useless if 1 or 2 healers don't log on. In rift you're limited by what you want to push yourself to do. I'm not shuttered into a role in raid, because I've taken the time and effort to learn how to tank, dps and heal and gear out all of those roles. That makes this game MUCH more fun to play. I'm not forced into the same role day after day, and it makes you a more valuable player.

Also, we're exactly like rogues and warriors we need 2 sets of gear. Our dps sets complement any healing spec with serendipity.

As for you bemoaning lack of builds. You can do whatever crazy thing you want to do with your souls. There are groups of players who want to do the best they possibly can to help our their guild, and themselves. This drives min/maxing which pares down the options to a handful of optimal specs. Ironically, it is the fact that content requires so little healing that allows as much flexability in healing specs as we currently have. Purely optimized healing performance is a net gain of under 5% in t3 gear, an amount so small given the massive overhealing everyone does it is laughable.

You probably haven't noticed that cabaltist is our utility dps spec, bringing more to the table in the way of CC and target disruption than any of our other souls. However, in raid enviroments that's totally useless. In pvp it is pretty nice and a few well timed spells can crush a group of opposing players.

Choloro and cleric healing are very different in function and performance there's a time and place for both in game.

Telaran

I have absolutely no idea what this post is asking. I re-read it. Only thing I can come up with is a reference to mages being better as they have higher dps and...only have to have one set of gear?

as far as I can tell from the mage forums they are not getting buffed. And if they do, as long as it's in the form of an adjustment from bugged silly aoe damage, im fine with it. The need to adjust them like they are doing with warriors, making more than one build viable for raiding.

oh and nerf pyros (had to).
    I have level capped and geared a Warrior (pre 1.2) a rogue (pre 1.2) and a cleric (post), and a mage at 44. Other than some tanking (magic mitigation/threat) and ranged dps (needs a buff) Clerics are as close to perfect a class as I've ever played in 10 yrs of mmo's. Pre 1.2 warriors were close, but Clerics blow even that awesomely awesome spec out of the water on all but single target dps.
    WoW’s design and culture encourage you to ask the question:
    What job do I want to do today? Okay, what tools do I want to use to do it?
    City and Rift have a design that encourages you to ask:
    What toys do I want to play with today?
    quoted from l2pnoob
    try to remember how to play. Play man, just Play. like, mud pies and hot wheels.

+ Reply to Thread