+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Instant/Cast-time Changeover

Shadowlander

Default The Instant/Cast-time Changeover

Okay, I'm playing my Inquisitor, standing in the back lines spamming Bolt of Judgement, and then Life and Death Concord activates - so I cast an instant Bolt of Depravity.

So far, fine. I take the opportunity to cast Sanction Heretic - which just came up - and Bolt of Radiance since it's on the same hotkey as SH.

Now I'm hit with the problem. If I go back to using Bolt of Judgment, casting these instant spells before it means that it has effectively gone up to a 3 second cast time - the 1.5 second global cooldown and 1.5 second cast time.

If I didn't cast an instant spell at all, I could have cast Bolt of Depravity non-instant twice in the same six second period, if I switched instead to using Waterjet, I could avoid this three second break, which in PvP might be the line between a successful kill and the target healing. If I didn't have SH up and Bolt of Radiance ready, I'd have effectively had a single Bolt of Depravity and a Bolt of Judgement together for a single 3 second cast time - sort of better than just BoD on its own... except now I have no BoD to use for ten seconds.

The same issue comes up if I'm running with some points in Sentinel - an instant Breath Heal followed by the 2 second cast time heal means a gap of 3.5 seconds without any healing; two 2 second heals means no long delay and potentially makes the difference between someone living or dying.

So how do I handle this optimally? Instants are typically powerful, but this inbuilt delay whenever you switch from instant to cast time I feel can't be ignored. Should I cluster all my instant spells together and cast them all at once to minimise this changeover time, or should I just eat the 1.5 second delay every time an instant spell is available to cast in favour of immediate gratification as I have been doing via macros and casting BoD instant wherever possible?

Prophet of Telara

for pve it doesn't really matter if the spell will land and then you have to wait 1.5sec for the rest, or if you have to wait 1.5sec before the spell lands. it is effectively the same dps.

for pvp you want to line up your attacks so as they hit the target at ~the same time so as to burst more and minimize the healing window.

p.e. in pvp you would use your 3sec cast, followed by an instant with a travel time followed up with an instant without a travel time. this would mean that the cast time+instant with travel will hit at ~the same time, and 1.5sec latter the other spell will land, making him suffering all the damage in 1.5sec-2sec.
    Last edited by shroudb; 06-16-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by shroudb View Post
    for pve it doesn't really matter if the spell will land and then you have to wait 1.5sec for the rest, or if you have to wait 1.5sec before the spell lands. it is effectively the same dps.

for pvp you want to line up your attacks so as they hit the target at ~the same time so as to burst more and minimize the healing window.

p.e. in pvp you would use your 3sec cast, followed by an instant with a travel time followed up with an instant without a travel time. this would mean that the cast time+instant with travel will hit at ~the same time, and 1.5sec latter the other spell will land, making him suffering all the damage in 1.5sec-2sec.
    So in PvE casting Sanction Heretic > Bolt of Judgment > Bolt of Radiance > Bolt of Judgement is the same as Bolt of Judgement > Bolt of Judgment > Sanction Heretic > Bolt of Radiance? Alright, that's helpful, thank you.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kholai View Post
    So in PvE casting Sanction Heretic > Bolt of Judgment > Bolt of Radiance > Bolt of Judgement is the same as Bolt of Judgement > Bolt of Judgment > Sanction Heretic > Bolt of Radiance? Alright, that's helpful, thank you.
    in pve you should prioritize dps abilities by sheer amount of damage/time lost. instants should be acounted the same as 1.5sec cast for this.

in your above example, casting SH first is better simply because this way it will refresh faster, and for 1.5sec cast it does more damage than a BoJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kholai View Post
    1. Sanction Heretic > Bolt of Judgment > Bolt of Radiance > Bolt of Judgement = instant + 1.5 sec cd + instant + 1.5 sec cd + 1.5 sec cast +1.5 sec cast = 6.0 sec
    2. Bolt of Judgement > Bolt of Judgment > Sanction Heretic > Bolt of Radiance = 1.5 sec cast + 1.5 sec cast + instant +1.5 sec cooldown + instant + 1.5 sec cooldown = 6.0 sec
    3. Bolt of Judgement > Sanction Heretic > Bolt of Judgment > Bolt of Radiance = 1.5 sec cast + instant +1.5 sec cd + 1.5 sec cast + instant + 1.5 sec cd = 6.0 sec

The difference from 1 vs 2 and 3 is Burst... you do more burst in #2 and #3 because damage is completed in 4.5 sec. This shows more dps in the 4.5 sec time frame over 1.

For long substained fights ... there is no noticable difference. In short fight(non-elite mobs or PVP) 2 and 3 are better options imho.

Rift Disciple

If you're doing pvp:

Macro in fanaticism to BoD and any on use trinket you may have.

Dot the target up, spam BoJ. This will either outright kill your target or take them low. Either way, keep casting away until you get BoD up, now finish a BoJ and then mash your BoD macro. If BoJ crits, you'll do around 3500-4200 damage in under .2 seconds. Target is most likely dead.

If you're wondering about pve. These are all OVER TIME fights. All you need to do if ask yourself "Is there something else I could have done that would generate more dps over that cast time/gcd?"

So vex, counts as a 1.5s gcd and does ~2k damage. SH, 1.5s gcd and up to 4k, BoJ averages 973 for me, banish is 500, Bolt of Radiance is 300 or so (2/1.5).

Vex is an outlier, as you need to allow it to tick at least 4 times before recasting it isn't a dps loss.

+ Reply to Thread