Closed Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Justicar tanking guide - Version 2

Oh. My. God.

Our prayers have been answered! Trion finally stickied something worth stickying!!!!! They do listen sometimes! Gives me a tiny glimmer of hope.
    Last edited by Skryth; 05-07-2011 at 02:23 AM.
    Jolly fat people are living proof that it is not possible to "laugh your *** off", though we're trying...

Rift Disciple

also for an "unconventional" build, i use http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...V0z.VuksVecooo. the threat is amazing - single target there is no way anyone will pull off you, and jolt is like an extra 1500ish threat that's off the gcd AND procs salvation + reparation.

one more thing worth mentioning: lightning hammer is worth using in your single target rotation. combined with the dot, lightning hammer does more damage than strike of judgment. with only 4 points in shaman, it will do about 10% more damage; with 5/5 stormborn (+50% air damage), lightning hammer will do about 60-70% more damage than SoJ. the dot portion also benefits from any debuff on the target that increases magic damage taken (e.g. censure, spiritual deficiency)

secondly, if you have SHoE, each tick of lightning hammer's dot counts as a separate heal and procs reparation + salvation, which means it has a chance of proccing SHoE... or any other trinket/essence that has a chance on heal effect. specifically, when you have vengeance of the winter storm on, you get 2 heals from each melee ability, but you get 6 from lightning hammer: the initial hit + vengeance, first tick of lightning + vengeance, then 2 additional ticks of lightning.

Rift Disciple

for those who want 38 justicar there is also this spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...V0z.VuksVejooo which loses the fire/earth resist aura and charge from shaman, but get just defense. this setup also lets you grab both of the inquisitor armors, or dark harbor from cabalist.

First hurray for being the first player with a sticky. Now lets hope Trion makes more thread that deserve it a sticky.

Now lets get to business again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeline View Post
    Maybe you could add something like this to your unconventional builds: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...0x0qz.VhRs0xcz

The points are pretty versatile, and i've also used just 2pts in sent for Life's Vengeance giving me another instant cast light spell. I keep my shield/mace on macro for equip change in combat in case something closes on me. I've used this build a lot in raid rifts as the dps/hps and threat is pretty fantastic. Although i'll be honest the use is pretty limited atm.

I'd love to see other people give it a try though, and give feedback on it.

http://youtu.be/i8O5YFaessM?hd=1

http://youtu.be/mlyZgX7iXzA?hd=1

Ignore the music too.. i just hit the random on youtube audio edit.
    I like the idea of a builds made purely for ranged tanking. And I think this builds does pretty well. And I will probably add it soon. But I might slightly edit it (don't know yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Narcoleptic1 View Post
    also for an "unconventional" build, i use http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...V0z.VuksVecooo. the threat is amazing - single target there is no way anyone will pull off you, and jolt is like an extra 1500ish threat that's off the gcd AND procs salvation + reparation.
    This build is near identical to the deep shaman build with only the change that some points from inquisitor are moved to justicar to get the shield cd (you lose 450hp but that's not that much).
    As a result I won't be adding it to the guide.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I will soon add a deep Druid builds (38point spec) and a tank with a pet unconventional build.

Soulwalker

Umm i have a question, i saw that cap for raid is 220 hit, ummm i am t2 geared and i have 108, sum enchants, 13 mace, 13 ranged, and 13 offhand (shield is offhand no?)=39, total 147 hit, how is possible have 220 hit as tank???is totally neccesary, or at which hit/focus u can enter a raid being cleric tank?thx

Rift Disciple

a bit less than 220 focus is okay, but you don't want to be too low or you will lose aggro easily.

i use two dps rings with focus (21 and 23), so you'll want to look into getting some rings with focus instead of sp/crit.

upgrade your tanking weapon. last 2 bosses in xDD drop 1h maces with 30 hit. i also use disc of impending valor which has 19 focus, even though it's a blue.

pick up overseer's lightning rod (blue) from first boss in xDSM and put a focus enchant on it. that wand has 33 focus, and with a focus enchant there's 42 right there. swap it in for raid tanking and that'll get you pretty high up there.

your neck should have focus on it too. i'm using overseer's stash with 31 focus. shouldn't be too hard to get a neck with around 30ish focus, or at worst a blue with 20-23 focus.

Telaran

A couple things you have posted are wrong. First and foremost, you do not get 1.5 parry per str, you get 1. Secondly, 20% is NOT I repeat, NOT the cleric parry cap. I have 100's of parses showing that parry is well above 20% cap. With raid buffs I have just shy of 30% parry. I don't see the need to post them all, so I will post just 1. This is a parse of my guilds first Greenscale kill on April 19th. If you read the parse, do the math etc, you will see that I parried 31 of 108 attacks, putting my parry rate at 29%.. Why all you clerics and forum goers think that 20% is the cap is beyond me. If it were truely a cap, I'm sure Trion would actually cap the number in the paper doll.

Parse : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14366644/Rif...ill/parse.html
    Last edited by Yavi; 05-08-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Rift Disciple

i can confirm that 1 str gives 1 parry rating, not 1.5

however as for questioning the parry cap, basing it off 108 hits is NOT a good sample size. i could get lucky and parry 3/3 attacks, but that doesn't make me have 100% parry. there have been multiple parses of 1000+ hits showing that despite the stats page showing higher parry %, what you actually get is 20%. i've done a parse with 1200ish hits with supposed 30% parry, and someone else has done a parse of 4000+ hits, which you can find on these forums, that shows parry does indeed cap out at 20%.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Yavi View Post
    A couple things you have posted are wrong. First and foremost, you do not get 1.5 parry per str, you get 1. Secondly, 20% is NOT I repeat, NOT the cleric parry cap. I have 100's of parses showing that parry is well above 20% cap. With raid buffs I have just shy of 30% parry. I don't see the need to post them all, so I will post just 1. This is a parse of my guilds first Greenscale kill on April 19th. If you read the parse, do the math etc, you will see that I parried 31 of 108 attacks, putting my parry rate at 29%.. Why all you clerics and forum goers think that 20% is the cap is beyond me. If it were truely a cap, I'm sure Trion would actually cap the number in the paper doll.

Parse : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14366644/Rif...ill/parse.html
    because we have parses over 500hits that regardless of paper doll number show cap to be ~20%.

its really easy to test too, go gather like 4-5low level mobs and let them hit you for 5mins. see your parry percentage is never above 20% regardless of actual paper doll number (for test pursposes just put on a twohander, this will easily give you a 27-29%parry self buffed)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudb View Post
    because we have parses over 500hits that regardless of paper doll number show cap to be ~20%.

its really easy to test too, go gather like 4-5low level mobs and let them hit you for 5mins. see your parry percentage is never above 20% regardless of actual paper doll number (for test pursposes just put on a twohander, this will easily give you a 27-29%parry self buffed)
    not to mention the fact dev's have confirmed it on several occasions on the PST
    If you played FFXI then add me to your friend list.

Fixed the parry value of strength and added 3 more specs.
    The ranged tank spec, a deep druid spec and a tank with a pet spec (even tested this one in DSM and actually liked it).

As for those with focus problems. Try to make sure nearly every slot on the right side of your character has focus. And if you need more focus the +18focus/+5SP runes on helmet and legs can come in handy.
    It is not needed to be capped but if you are not you will lose a serious amount of threat which will get your dps into trouble. (but as long as you have 200+ you should be fine but do try to cap it)

Telaran

I'd like to see a post of the devs confirming 20% parry cap. Like I said, I have 100s, 568 to be exact, parses that all show me having paper doll value of parry. Some of them are 100 or so hits, others are 1000s. I've never seen a parse of my own showing less then or more than a 2% difference compared to my paperdoll stat, whether the number is 10% or 30%, it's always accurate. So if you're telling me that I've just been lucky 568 times on my numbers I call ******** and say even of that is the case, the numbers are still accurate. Even in the parse I linked, if you look at all the hits I take combined which is nearly 500, because of the add phases you will see my parry rate is still very close to 30%. I've tested it on multiple occasions, one of which was a 17000 hit parse and I had almost exactly my 29.87% parry rate my paperdoll says. I can post that parse later, but ATM I'm at work posting from my phone. I've searched the forums and not found where a dev definitively states the 20% parry rate. Even of they have, as far as I'm concerned they're wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time either.

Shield of Telara

I'd like to see a post of the devs confirming 20% parry cap. Like I said, I have 100s, 568 to be exact, parses that all show me having paper doll value of parry. Some of them are 100 or so hits, others are 1000s. I've never seen a parse of my own showing less then or more than a 2% difference compared to my paperdoll stat, whether the number is 10% or 30%, it's always accurate. So if you're telling me that I've just been lucky 568 times on my numbers I call ******** and say even of that is the case, the numbers are still accurate. Even in the parse I linked, if you look at all the hits I take combined which is nearly 500, because of the add phases you will see my parry rate is still very close to 30%. I've tested it on multiple occasions, one of which was a 17000 hit parse and I had almost exactly my 29.87% parry rate my paperdoll says. I can post that parse later, but ATM I'm at work posting from my phone. I've searched the forums and not found where a dev definitively states the 20% parry rate. Even of they have, as far as I'm concerned they're wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time either.
    you're like one of those people who read a recipe online, cook it, and when it doesn't turn out they blame the recipe. even though the other 100 people who made it have great success.

do you see what i'm trying to say?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by fD123 View Post
    you're like one of those people who read a recipe online, cook it, and when it doesn't turn out they blame the recipe. even though the other 100 people who made it have great success.

do you see what i'm trying to say?
    I know the numbers I see. I trust them and not numbers some random person on the forums posts. I was tanking Greenscale when all other clerics on these forums were saying it was impossible.

Rift Disciple

I know the numbers I see. I trust them and not numbers some random person on the forums posts. I was tanking Greenscale when all other clerics on these forums were saying it was impossible.
    yavi - i would like to see these parses. i personally would be very happy if parry wasn't capped out at 20%, but having parsed a huge number of hits myself and seeing parry cap out at 20% despite the paper doll saying otherwise, i do *some* doubt when seeing posts claiming otherwise. as much as you trust the numbers you see over random people in forum posts, you have to understand that the people who have parsed a large number of hits and seen parry cap out at 20% are also on the same boat.

also what was your weapon setup? the parse you linked keeps crashing my browser so i can't check - were you 2h tanking in those parses or using a 1h + shield? i know a lot of parses used 2 handers to get way above 20% parry to test the cap, so if you are actually getting close to 30% parry with 1h + shield, it's possible that this setup isn't subject to the same 20% parry cap that 2 handers are.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast