+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Show Some Love Today, Help A N00b.

Soulwalker

Default Show Some Love Today, Help A N00b.

I know I'm prolly gonna get a bunch of replies along the lines of "Do some research" or some smart comments for any dumb questions, because most online communities are filled with stuck-up pretentious jerks, but if you don't ask, you never tried.. So...

Hi! I'm totally and completely new to Rift, and to MMO's in general. I've only played Warcraft for a couple months and Champions Online/CoX for not much longer. That being said, Rift looks AWESOME and completely has me mystified. I wanna get into RP, I wanna build an awesome healer.. I want it all!
    But I'm not too strong on many MMO terms and such, I know the basics like AoE and ect. But "proc" and stuff are beyond me. To make a long story short.. Most of the guides are practically in a completely different language to me. (Which is good, I guess, makes me feel like less of a nerd =P)

Anyways. I know what I want from my character, just not sure about the best ways to go about getting it. I wanna make a healer, who can brawl (tank, I guess?) and do decent damage, but my biggest concerns are being able to wield a weapon effectively, and heal effectively. I like to help randoms with buffs and heals too (without always being grouped), so if I could incorporate that as well, that'd be awesome. Anyone who feels like showing me the way, please respond. Anyone who feels like being a snobby do0sh? Well I guess I left myself open for that too...

Rift Disciple

We’d need a few bits of information before we could totally understand what you want to do and how you plan on achieving it. First, what level are you? Second, do you have all of your souls (classes) unlocked? Third, are you playing with another (duo-ing) or soloing? Third, do you plan on doing any PvPing. Last, do you plan on doing any Dungeons?

With that being said, Justicar (soul/class) sounds like what you described. Though, personally, it’s not going to fit the build of what you would want. If you want to kill stuff you should go dps (with left over points into a heal/support class – like Justicar).
    If you’re duoing with someone, you’re not going to want to go full healer. A hybrid or tank would be better. Personally, I soloed my cleric, and went Druid/Shaman (a melee dps spec) till 31, then switched to Inquisitor/Justicar (range dps spec).
    If you’re PVPing, you’re going to get the highest healing numbers out of Warden. Personally though, I believe that, Purifier and Sentinel had the biggest impact on small fights, but Warden pushed the team through bigger battles almost every time.
    If you’re dungeon-ing, you’re not going to distribute the points all the same way. There’s a few talents (break frees and stun resists), that aren’t really going to benefit you in dungeons. With that being said, at lower levels I did Purifier/Sentinel/Warden (Most Points/Spare points/No Points) and did really well main healing. As I got higher levels (25+), I switched to Warden/Sentinel/Purifier, and can main heal any instance, even those too high for me.

I said that to say, you can have up to 4 different specs (though the last 2 are a bit expensive). Just like WoW’s dual talents, you can switch these specs on a whim as long as you’re not in combat. So technically you could have your ‘Main Healer’ spec, then your ‘Solo DPS’ spec, then your ‘PVP Healing/DPS spec’ and whatever else you want!

Once you get back with the information I asked for, anyone of us should be able to guide you in the right direction.
    Last edited by Nitrate; 04-25-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Updated

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrate View Post
    Wed need a few bits of information before we could totally understand what you want to do and how you plan on achieving it. First, what level are you? Second, do you have all of your souls (classes) unlocked? Third, are you playing with another (duo-ing) or soloing? Third, do you plan on doing any PvPing. Last, do you plan on doing any Dungeons?
    Ah wow thanks a lot man! The info you laid out already showed me a lot I didn't know. I'd like to make some friends and roll with a group/partner but for now I'm soloing. I'm level.. uh.. 8 I think. I have 2 souls unlocked and yes, I jumped onto a pvp server =D. Dungeons? Uh.. Sure I guess. I want to do a bit of everything but Dungeons are lowest priority.

I definitely wanna be able to bash heads with this giant awesome mace, and not be so squishy. So I'm guessing Tanking is the way to go, but I really like the Warden. I was gonna try Cabalist for pvp but I'm not understanding it too well.. -_-

Tbh I'm not a big stats man. I wanna be the best Cleric I can, but I also want to have fun. I don't wanna use builds that 500 other Clerics consider the "best build" just so i can have the absolute greatest heals or DPS, but no room to explore while i reach the endgame... Uh, if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Dimension View Post
    Hi! I'm totally and completely new to Rift, and to MMO's in general. I've only played Warcraft for a couple months and Champions Online/CoX for not much longer. That being said, Rift looks AWESOME and completely has me mystified. I wanna get into RP, I wanna build an awesome healer.. I want it all!
    But I'm not too strong on many MMO terms and such, I know the basics like AoE and ect. But "proc" and stuff are beyond me. To make a long story short.. Most of the guides are practically in a completely different language to me. (Which is good, I guess, makes me feel like less of a nerd =P)
    This should help.
    http://mmoterms.com/full-mmorpg-terms-glossary

In Rift you can't be a good "brawler", which would be a good melee cleric that does damage and be an awesome healer. But, you can switch roles after you purchase one from your trainer to have a "heal" role and a "damage" role. Heal when you are in a group and use the damage (dps) build when you are questing or soloing.

Rift Disciple

What souls do you currently have?

Soulwalker

Thanks for the link Odinn.

I'll try to be more specific. My first priority is gonna be healing, but I'd also like to be able to do decent damage with my weapon.

I have Purifier/Warden/Cabalist right now. (I'm starting to think Cabalist was a mistake though x_X)

Is there a way I can tank effectively, and dish out AOE heals? Or tank/heal effectively at all? Sorry if this all sounds so convoluted, I'm pretty open to suggestions and I'm not very picky about the souls I wanna use, but I know for a fact I wanna be able to club a dude in the head somewhere near as decently as I use my magic

Chaos Dimension, welcome to Rift, you ignorant Noob!

No worries, adapting to the terminologies, skill sets and everything else takes time. Without a few years of play under your belt, there will be times you'll feel you've been dumped in a foreign country where no one speaks your language. You'll assimilate it all in time.

We can assist you with any number of questions or comments, but there are a few general things you should be made aware of first.

You can't do everything at once. Judging by your post, this is likely the most important thing. With a class like the Cleric, you're capable of being a caster, a melee combatant, a meat-shield (tank), a healer, and, to a lesser extent, a support class (minimal damage dealing but able to buff/heal others). The problem is, it's next to impossible to incorporate most of these options into a single soul build and manage to be effective.

Each soul (aka talent tree) represents a style of play. Some overlap a little, some, a lot. We have 3 healing souls, 1 tanking soul, 2/3 melee souls, 2 caster souls, and a PVP soul.

One of the beauties of Rift, aside from having 9 souls to choose from, is our ability to maintain up to 5 different soul combinations. USE THESE.

If you want to be a healer, designate one of the potential 5 specs to healing. If you want to melee/brawl, build a combination for that.

Without having some friends around, leveling with a healing spec will prove to be a MAJOR p.i.t.a. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to help keep others alive, but it won't do much to help you when you're alone. Y'know that old saying, 'You can't help others if you don't help yourself'? It's like that. Have a healing spec ready in case it's needed, but unless you're grouped up 24/7, don't overly rely on it.

Lastly, at level 13 or 14 you can start picking up all the other souls for your class, one at a time. Until then, don't worry too much about your build. It isn't until you pick up the other 5 souls that you can really start experimenting, so try to make that your top priority.

Best of luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions!

Soulwalker

Haha thanks Denna!

This community seems far more friendly than some others I've encountered, and I'm very eager to explore Rift.

You do have some good points, I think I am trying to bite off more than I can chew.. Especially without even understanding everything about the class/souls.

The problem is, I have a hard time seeing someone running by getting jumped by mobs and not wanna help out with a heal or two.. I enjoy buffing (But I think Ima need a mage for that) but you're right. For now I should definitely focus on a sturdy solo build to get acquainted.

Are there any guides I can find that helps break down the souls a la "For Dummies?" Cuz I'm feeling like quite a dummy when I search online and see all these stats, numbers, terms, and such. Even when I KNOW the terms I'm feeling overwhelmed. x_x

I mean I know Wardens have good overtime heals, Shaman and Justicar can beat people up, Cabalist are emo, and purifiers use fire in some shape or form but uh.. Other than that I'm just sitting here pretending I know what I'm doing wondering why I'm taking it up the butt by like 3 mobs the same level as me.

I think I know for sure I really like the Warden.. But the other two souls may as well be "macaroni" and "failcheese" for all the good they do me.

From what Nitrate told me, I'm thinking Justicar/Shaman, Warden, and .. Uh.. Sentinel or Purifier is the way I wanna roll.. Or Justicar/Warden/Shaman
    Last edited by Chaos Dimension; 04-25-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Default Welcome to Rift!

I am happy that you did not hesitate to ask your questions, Chaos. I will add to what Denna said with two posts that, in my opinion, would be a great resource for those who are new to MMORPG world.

Without much ado here's the Quick and Dirty guide to Clerics:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ide-to-Clerics

And here's a fantastic Roleplaying guide:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...To-Roleplaying

Finally, here's a link to Zam Soul Builder:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html
    This website is up to date with current game content and allows you to remotely test out different soul specs for all professions (callings). It is useful for what Denna mentioned - making alternative specs (soul combination) that are called Roles. Those you can switch to anytime when you are out of combat.

Happy adventures, and don't hesitate to ask more questions!

RIFT Guide Writer

Hi Chaos, if you read my signature, I've tried to compile a database of easy to access posts. Here are some of the links you may find useful:

The Cleric, its Souls, and You

Cleric Leveling Guide/Macros/Builds/Step by Step/Videos

Cabalist was a mistake.

It's the soul that everyone is intrigued with but noone can really make it work.

It's passable as a ranged DPS in groups...but it just gets you killed in warfronts and solo play.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Soulwalker

Many thanks guys. After writing this thread, I've come out learning a lot more about the game, the class, and the community!

I'm at work, so I can't go through all the links as thoroughly as I'd like, but I'm glad yall have been so encouraging and I feel a lot more confident asking questions. =D Look for me in the art section in the coming months if anyone has any requests, please feel free.

Oh, one more thing... How easy is it to make friends and quest together? Besides Champions and City of Heroes, I've very rarely ran into an MMO where its easy to make some good lasting friends.

People on forums are one thing, but Ive already had someone tell me "GTF away from me" when saving him from getting ganked and asking to (JUST ONCE) group.

Rift Disciple

Many thanks guys. After writing this thread, I've come out learning a lot more about the game, the class, and the community!

I'm at work, so I can't go through all the links as thoroughly as I'd like, but I'm glad yall have been so encouraging and I feel a lot more confident asking questions. =D Look for me in the art section in the coming months if anyone has any requests, please feel free.

Oh, one more thing... How easy is it to make friends and quest together? Besides Champions and City of Heroes, I've very rarely ran into an MMO where its easy to make some good lasting friends.

People on forums are one thing, but Ive already had someone tell me "GTF away from me" when saving him from getting ganked and asking to (JUST ONCE) group.
    You're going to meet the 'meat' of the people you deal with regularly in dungeons and public rifts. Everyone pretty much has a helping attitude (on my server at least), and you can even find defiant helping guardians clear Major Rifts without attacking each other.

It all depends on how you ask, but it's pretty much a good community. Just don't go to the General Thread Section :P

I'd love to tell you making friends is as easy as it is in real life, but let's face it, there's a large number of shut-ins who shun society and own stock in Hot Pockets and Mountain Dew. We're not all socially gracious. Sometimes you can strike up a convo with strangers on the street, othertimes, they'll threaten to use their r-pe whistle if you don't leave 'em alone. Players are the same way. Some want some company, some want to be left alone.

From personal experience, the very best thing you can do is communicate, and often. Beyond the zone chat channel, you have chat channels for level 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, etc. Make good use of these when it's appropriate to your level. On the right server, people may RP through these, ask questions, look for group, or just BS with people.

There's no need to tell people what you had for dinner last night, but feel free to answer questions for folk, ask if anyone wants to group up for a particular quest chain, or just find out if there's anyone in general looking for a healer to tag along with them as they quest.

As you continue leveling, you'll often come across the same players. The sooner they recognize your name as belonging to a friendly, overly helpful player, the sooner you'll be wishing you had some free time to yourself.

Just don't let jerks get ya down. There's no reason to be rude to others, but everyone tends to have their own definition of rude, so those you interact with may not be very pleasant. Have faith that the majority of players don't want to ruin your day, and /ignore those that want to.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Denna View Post
    I'd love to tell you making friends is as easy as it is in real life, but let's face it, there's a large number of shut-ins who shun society and own stock in Hot Pockets and Mountain Dew.
    There is no reason to be rude, quit picking on hot-pockets.

Welcome to the game!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast