+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How best to support a group as a cleric

Default How best to support a group as a cleric

Good evening all,.. I wanted to pose a question to all clerics out there,.. How does on ebest support your group in T1 and 2's? I've been trying to streamline my DPS for both ranged and melee DPS for a while now. Melee DPS I tried the spec everyone claims to be the best which is the druid 31/shaman 24/whatever and I couldn't pull more than maybe 500dps,.. I went full 44 shaman / Inq / sent and it does decent and sometimes makes it to 600-700dps. After having many issues with melee (seems like this game despises Melee at every turn) I was constantly having to go ranged DPS because this boss or that boss you can't DPS melee, I decided to give up on melee and try to streamline my ranged DPS. So I have a 41 Inq/15 cab / 10 Sent.. I worked out the kinks and started doing half decent with it. thought I was actually doing good,.. until a couple guild mages joined in some instances and BLAMMO I'm bottom of the barrel, not only that but in their Chloro specs they did as much damage as I was but were healing at the same time.. I was disgusted,.. So I decided well since I do crap DPS ranged too I'll swap out my sentinel for Justicar so I can at least support heal, but even my support heals weren't all that great.

I do have a healing Role and I don't' mind using it but I rarely need to as we have the healers we need. I'm gearing into T1 and 2 now and been starting to wonder if I should even be playing a cleric. I love the calling, but since I can't do the best DPS and my idea of playing a DPS/support gets overridden by the mages, I'm at a loss for what to do. It's beginning to look like I may have to fall into the same trap I've seen alot of clerics fall into,.. switching callings to go Mage because mages seem to do everything better right now. The point of this post is to ask you all for some advice,. Should I be switching callings, or is there something about clerics I'm missing,. some missing build or setup that will REALLY do well for a group. My main goal is to be the best group/raid cleric I can be but how can I do that when all I seem to be able to accomplish is a half-@#$ version of a mage? thanks for your advise in advance

Rift Chaser

1.2, inq's get some love...

chloro's are main healers...with the inq/justi, you shoudl be pulling more dps, less healing...although your potential doctrine of loyalty spam can way outheal the chloro's aoe healing while you have convictions...you're like in b/w a chloro and bard...more dps than both, less MT healing than chloro, but better burst aoe healing than chloro and bard (cept for the bard's CD), but bard gets buffs...
    Last edited by Aggrosamurai; 04-24-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Well right now I'm sporting an inq spec with 40 inq/ 11 justicar / 15 Cab. When I couldn't keep up ANYWHERE near a mage's DPS I decided to sacrifice my sentinel SP and crit damage bonus for more healing from justicar since it seemed there was no way I could keep up with their damage. It will never cease to disgust me how Trion has allowed Mages to basically do everything we can but better except when it comes to a pure single target healing cleric. It just doesn't seem right.....

bumpity bmpbump bump

Quote Originally Posted by Chauni View Post
    Melee DPS I tried the spec everyone claims to be the best which is the druid 31/shaman 24/whatever and I couldn't pull more than maybe 500dps,..
    You did have 11 in inquisitor, right?

500 DPS is quite low for T2s. What macro were you using? You were using the satyr, right?

I was using the Satyr, yes, and the macro I forget but I took it directly from one of the threads that claimed that the druid 31/shaman 24/11 inq was the best there is,.. but I could only pull about 400-560 ish in tier 1's in partial tier gear... I was expecting something closer to like 800-900 and was sorely unimpressed

Rift Disciple

melee dps is mostly about macro's and rotations, you also need to pay a little attention to your stats as the best stats for caster dps isnt allways the best for melee, same with weps, your ranged dps is going to suffer vs single target and even cabalist specs suffer a bit in aoe due to having to lose dps to build lurking decay charges, I tested on a grp of 3 dungeon training dummies and in a cabalist/inquis/sent build I gained nearly 200dps dropping obliterate and tyranny out of rotation and using only fanaticism/soul drain/circle of oblivion, granted in dungeons and raids you cant allways be right in the middle to pop soul drain as soon as its up

Telaran

I was using the Satyr, yes, and the macro I forget but I took it directly from one of the threads that claimed that the druid 31/shaman 24/11 inq was the best there is,.. but I could only pull about 400-560 ish in tier 1's in partial tier gear... I was expecting something closer to like 800-900 and was sorely unimpressed
    Were you adding your pet with your dps? My Satyr does 200dps roughly. I usually parse 600-700ish and Satyr is 175-250. Just spamming a macro and keeping Vex refreshed. My dps gear isn't anything special neither just crafted stuff with a few T2 drops added in mixed with my healing sigil and some healing gear.

As for the topic.

If you want to fill the support role as a Cleric. I suggest Senticar

For melee dps; I would try 31/24/11, there are a plethora of threads/macros on the forums. If you get some crafted cloth gear and a decent 2h mace you can faceroll to 700+ dps.

For ranged I would try 51/10/5 Inquis/Sentinel/Warden. It is about 200-ish dps behind the melee build, but it is getting a buff in the next patch that should help it close the gap.
    Kenrik, 50 Cleric - Guardian

Don't get me wrong I'd like to make the Satyr build work,.. I just haven't yet seen it work for me. If someone could give an idea on how best to work it,.. best roataion or macros to use with it etc.. maybe I'm missing somthing? I dunno

Soulwalker

Don't get me wrong I'd like to make the Satyr build work,.. I just haven't yet seen it work for me. If someone could give an idea on how best to work it,.. best roataion or macros to use with it etc.. maybe I'm missing somthing? I dunno
    For what you have that doesnt sound to bad. I have full t2 "dropped gear" and some GSB stuff including a GSB 2 hander with 34.8 dps and I average 900-950 dps on raids with another 200 or so from the pet. I do have a seperate melee focused Source Engine as my healing one has 2 greaters that dont help much.

Yea I'm not too phenomenally geared but I have a hammer that's at like 25.8, I forget the name, it's crafted. I have several peices of tier 1 and other drops and in mostly purples now. I think perhaps I was macroing it wrong? or doign it wrong in someway,.. if anyone can detail the macros used and how to use them I'd appreciate it. I'm not a moron, I know how to make and use macros but the lineup used and in the best situations etc..

just bacically th elayout of the order in which you use the abilities etc..

So I got home today and tested it out.. I actually spent 23 plat to buy my 4th role and built up a druid 31 / 24 shaman / 11 inq.. and it blew chunks.. I went out with some guildies with a macro that took from one of the postings that looked right and I thought I was doign well, until my guildmate read off my DPS as 300 and my pet 77,.. I was like WTF?? I just don't get it.. HOW are you all making this build work? the macro I was using is

#show Fervent Strike
    Cast Jolt
    Cast Fated Blow
    Cast Glory of the chosen
    Cast Natural Dedication
    Cast Rage of the Fae
    Cast Eruption of Life
    Cast Combined Effort
    Cast Bombard
    Cast Sanction Heretic
    Cast Lightning Hammer
    Cast Massive Blow
    Cast Fervent Strike

It LOOKED like I was doing well but when the report came out I was doing #@$% damage. I just dont' understand how you all are makign this build work.

Soulwalker

I run sham/inq/just as support in t1's all the time and ive done a couple t2's (pugs)

works good, 400-500 dps single target, 800-1300 aoe (~real world dps not boss dummy, over the course of 1 pull), with hps of half or 3rd of that depending on encounter....varies widely depending on what sort of fight it is, whether the main healer knows what they are doing, what sort of buffs u have, whether u can go full out, etc

actually the biggest problem with it is threat, which may not be a problem in a pre-made guild group but in pugs it can be. Sort of tricky to play at times because if you pop rage -> soul drain -> mael -> even justice (aoe macro) and you heal the tank up to full from 1/2 or 1/3 you'll pull threat real quick. Even if you wait and give the tank time to build threat...if the tank is bad you can tell real fast so its a mixed blessing. Even with the best tank if you charge a mob right after he does and pop that rotation it wont matter lol.

I run rj parser and see what other peeps are doin dps/hps wise and i feel i more than pull my weight despite mediocre single target dps given the overall hps, burst aoe healing, purge, etc that i bring to the table. But again I'm talking pugs here.

Its more about knowing the mechanics of boss fights than actual dps anyway, after a certain point. I havent run into a fight yet where my single target dps hurt the group, what hurts the group is people not staying out of cleave, not los'ing when they should, not switching targets and dpsing that crystal, not keeping their back to a wall, not having the right macros, not knowing how to use the skills they have, etc

I like the playstyle most of all. I burnt out of main healing in mmorgs a few years ago after many a year doing it, so its nice to get into the thick of things and melee dps and help with passive heals, but also keep an eye on health bars and help out when needed, especially during aoe dmg.

Yea I'm not too phenomenally geared but I have a hammer that's at like 25.8, I forget the name, it's crafted. I have several peices of tier 1 and other drops and in mostly purples now. I think perhaps I was macroing it wrong? or doign it wrong in someway,.. if anyone can detail the macros used and how to use them I'd appreciate it. I'm not a moron, I know how to make and use macros but the lineup used and in the best situations etc..
    I am using that hammer, several purples, T1/rep blues for other slots and I can pull 650 including pet on dummies and more in groups (buffs etc)... so I'm not sure...

I only have one macro and I spam it furiously. However, I also watch my DPS CDs to make sure I have maximum uptime on them, so that helps too.

Were you using your two cooldowns at all or no?
    Last edited by Ethias; 04-25-2011 at 04:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast