+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tanking Cleric s*x...

Soulwalker

Default Tanking Cleric s*x...

Hello,

I just got kicked from the group, coz i didnt manage to keep 3 mobs on me, and few times a big mob (the 70+k hp one). It was in RD (T2). But... i dont undestand what i did wrong. I have tanked AP, CC, DD, DM before and all was just fine. I did taunt the mobs on me. I did spam the Aoe skill, but the mobs was holding on me only for a few seconds, after that they attacked the other group member's. The Aoe taunt didnt helped at all. On the "Fat" mob's (70+hp ones) i holded aggro for 10-20 sec, but then again... mob attacked the higher dps'er... even taunt him back on me didnt helped. When you read the skill, it's says "... also forces enemy to attack Cleric..."..!! But it doesnt work!.. I did spam it after each cooldown.. about 3 times, but the mob was still on the other group member. I have a full T1 tanking set + T2 chest piece.

Now tell me, what i'm doing wrong? The Rogues over dps my aggro? (even if they did, the skill should bring the mob on me, but it didnt happen)
    P.s. All the Justicar buffs was on me. My avrg. hit is about 150-200 normal and 300-500 crit. if it's matters.

If you're having trouble, and this is for any game and any tank, cc and target marking are a huge start. I honestly can't say for T2 as there may really be places where spamming AoE is the way to go but that doesn't sound right.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Shield of Telara

One thing to note is that Taunts have a diminishing returns type of effect. After so many Taunts (I believe 3), the mob becomes immune to Taunts for a few seconds.

Plane Walker

Don't taint at the beginning. Taunt does nothing but give you highest theat +1. So if you taunt when there is no aggro the only aggro you get is from the 100 damage it does. They are also immune for x seconds after a taunt so you can't re-taunt. Have the cleric healer silence any casters. It tajes a little practice but really all you do is put the shaman shield on you so you get aggro from reactives, and then run in spamming cleave.

You shouldn't have problems unless you arent hit capped or you just suck lol.

Cleric taints are the worst.
    Rockwald
    Defiant Cleric
    Seastone

Default Aggro bugging

Well, I wouldn't feel too bad about yourself because last night I ran 3 experts in a row with the same tank I always use (I am his healer) and when he would pull groups the mobs wouldnt even run to him... They would run straight past the tank (who pulled) and start beating on someone else even when no one else would do anything to pull hate. It happened all night. There is obviously some threat bugs going on right now.

Rift Disciple

Like the poured poster said, there's dr in taunts and using too many will make the mob immune to taunts for a while. My experience is the immunity lasts about 10 to 20 seconds, not just a few seconds. furthermore I wouldn't use the aoe taunt off the bat as it generates little aggro. You're better off saving it for when multiple mobs run off.

Shadowlander

i guess youre referring to the satyr adds on the 2nd last boss in RD? weve had major issues with a warrior tank there as well. he would use all his AOE abilities, and the 3 adds would still go after the healer eventually. i ended up offtanking them, which worked great. those adds sure do behave very odd.

Soulwalker

Thanks all for the reply's.

No. It was tipical trash mobs. 3-5 at a time (all elites). And yes, when i first pull them on me, they not running to me, they running to other group member's. Aoe taount sometimes save's, but it has 1 min cd.. It's to much i think. And i spam my Cleave all the time, it helps, but sometimes in the middle of the fight, mobs still attacking the other group member's.

Any suggestion's? Maybe i need more dps?

Telaran

Ok. So I tank pretty much everything including RoS and Greenscale.

My current spec is 51 justicar , 9 shaman, 6 inq.

I am using the Eth trinket

Now.. our threat is generated alot by our heals. When your pulling in RD a common pull I will do is use sanc to pull hide in corner and use my AOE heal instantly. This will generate a small amount of threat to gain instant threat on the entire pack.

Now once they are in range i start my AOE attack 95% of the time i dont lose threat from any mobs. If by chance i do I burn my AOE taunt.

What you are describing is prolly you missing your Tank Buff (its what would happen exactly if you forgot your mein i know.. cuz i have forgot it before and what your discribing is exactly what happens)

Prolly the best thing for me to do is to just start creating some videos of a Cleric Tank in action .

Soulwalker

Nop, Tank Buff was on me all the time. I allways check it, before tanking anything. Like i said, I tank alot of dungeons. All the T1's and almost all the T2's. And it seems, that Rogues (and Warrior's sometimes) do so much dps, that they keep aggro the mob on themself. I keep telling them, that wait at least 5 sec, before hitting the mob, but they keep dieying from 2-3 hit's and telling me to control the mob properly. .. wtf... :/

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Slight View Post
    Ok. So I tank pretty much everything including RoS and Greenscale.

My current spec is 51 justicar , 9 shaman, 6 inq.

I am using the Eth trinket

Now.. our threat is generated alot by our heals. When your pulling in RD a common pull I will do is use sanc to pull hide in corner and use my AOE heal instantly. This will generate a small amount of threat to gain instant threat on the entire pack.

Now once they are in range i start my AOE attack 95% of the time i dont lose threat from any mobs. If by chance i do I burn my AOE taunt.

What you are describing is prolly you missing your Tank Buff (its what would happen exactly if you forgot your mein i know.. cuz i have forgot it before and what your discribing is exactly what happens)

Prolly the best thing for me to do is to just start creating some videos of a Cleric Tank in action .
    Oh good idea. Never thought about using AOE heal to gain more aggro.

Soulwalker

I have noticed this trend with T2 geared DPSers as well. I think more than anything its a imbalance in the stats of Justicar tank gear vs. DPS gear. Basically as you gear up you tend to loose SP/Wis in favor of Block/Parry etc. on your gear but DPS gear goes the opposite direction.

In full T2 tank gear my DPS and heals are not much more than my T1 days but DPSers are pulling 300+ more than they were, hence the aggro problems.

I have recently started to use DPS pieces in place of some of my tank gear, mostly the pieces that don't have Toughness on them get swapped out. My DPS and heals have gone up and threat seems to be less of a problem. Interestingly enough in some cases my mitigation gets better too due to a combination of the SP bonus to Parry/Block and harder hitting heals.

Rift Disciple

I use a 26 shaman / 32 justicar / 6 cabalist build and highly recommend it if you're having trouble holding aggro. Between jolt and glory of the chosen being off the gcd, and jolt hitting for about 300-350 noncrit, it's a lot of additional healing and threat going out. furthermore you get a charge which can get you in the fight faster and gives you 1-2 gcds to get aggro before your melee dps gets there, and strike of the maelstrom will hit the mobs that ran by you and are now behind you, which even justice would not have hit. For los pulls you have bound fate, and if you hit the fourth mob with bor you'll have a conviction for an aoe heal too.

Telaran

I have main tanked infiltrator and tanked duke and oracle during the hylas fight (tonight was our first hylas kill) as well as main tanked the trash and never had a dps pull aggro off me (and many of these guys have a few pieces of greenscale gear and tend to start early, while I am purely t2 geared with some raid rift lesser essences). Spec I use to tank is 51 just,9sham and 6 cab.

Cabalist is the only real way to get a bit xtra magic mitigation and the %+ to spell power is a nice talent as well so your not wasting points to get something. Unfortunately no life or death resist but 6 points in cab also gives you a 2 second cast 3 target aoe you can use to pull (and if they're all melee mobs and there's more than 3 you can use decay then obliterate to hit an extra 1). It only hits for about 250 in tank mode but still its a lot better than only hitting 1 and having the rest run at you just because you hit their mate (which if you have shields or hots on you tends to mean they go for your healer instead).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast