+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Druid vs shaman in tank builds.

Default Druid vs shaman in tank builds.

This is the build I want to run with, picking up armour from inquisitor and maxing justicar for the 51pt root but I'm torn between druid or shaman as a third tree. In shaman there are enough spare points to pick up favour of Valnir and the ice shield, however in the druid tree there is a nice %boost to endurance plus shield of oak.

Anyone with a similar build who has already theorycrafted it out? I pesonally prefer shaman but before today I had never really considered druid, would druid hold up? Where would you put the extra points if it did? Will the fairy annoy the **** out of me?
    Our beautiful, tortured biosphere.

Plane Walker

I would recommend using Justi/Shaman/Druid. I'm not really sure why you would want to go into Inquisitor.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...yuRsVeezoo.VLz

This is what I run with. At the moment DoA is decent but not worth speccing into. With this build you get an extra 40 End and Purge from Inquis. Also you get CotB for more block and GotC for heal on being crit. You can take a point from Overwhelming and pick up the free shield if you want.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by KetMalice View Post
    I would recommend using Justi/Shaman/Druid. I'm not really sure why you would want to go into Inquisitor.
    Endurance buff, Purge (for when someone else doesn't have it I guess)

Also forgot to mention you could go into Purifier for the Shield and also 6% armor bonus. Sent is nice while leveling but you hit parry cap to easy to need the extra SP from it.
    Last edited by NexxusLive; 04-24-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Jesus I'm not with it today, the link that was meant to be in first post:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00_dr..V0z.EuRsqeekRR

EDIT: the very first line says why the build goes into inquisitor, in the next patch the same buff will give armour and endurance.
    Our beautiful, tortured biosphere.

I sometimes wonder...

To answer the OP's question
    sha > cab > inq > sen > dru

You should only go Just/Sham/Inq if you need the purge, other wise you should be Just/Sham/Cab for max mitigation (none of this matters if you don't plan on tanking in raids, you can go whatever ya like then).

My raid tank spec is 51 Just/9 Sham/6 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by NexxusLive View Post
    This is what I run with. At the moment DoA is decent but not worth speccing into.
    Except that DoA is our greatest single target threat generating ability in game. I highly doubt this will change any time soon. So yes, you should be specced into it, if you are running with DPS that post 1.2k+ single target DPS. I prefer not to have my DPS wait 10 seconds before engaging, but that's just me...
    Last edited by DrakeFS; 04-25-2011 at 05:42 AM.
    A Justicar's path is not one of ease. But, hey, we do get to hit stuff.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by NexxusLive View Post
    Also forgot to mention you could go into Purifier for the Shield and also 6% armor bonus. Sent is nice while leveling but you hit parry cap to easy to need the extra SP from it.
    6% before tanking mein. In reality is is 2.5% or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeFS
    Except that DoA is our greatest single target threat generating ability in game. I highly doubt this will change any time soon. So yes, you should be specced into it, if you are running with DPS that post 1.2k+ single target DPS. I prefer not to have my DPS wait 10 seconds before engaging, but that's just me...
    Overheal doesn't generate threat.

Quote Originally Posted by DasWood View Post
    6% before tanking mein. In reality is is 2.5% or less.
    I don't use it either, just posting more options for them to consider.

Telaran

I agree with drakefs here. The armor from inq especially after next patch is nice and getting the purge could be useful but it takes 6-8 points into a tree where most of those points aren't actually doing anything very useful for you.

I mean +5% chance for your damaging spells to crit only affects bolt of radiance and sovereignty and maybe the group taunt. Then 1 point for the hp armor and then anything else you take from the tree is just wasting points.

As for druid vs sham, sham wins hands down and druid doesn't really do much for you at all imho. +3% damage mitigation and +10% healing recieved is much better than 5% endurance and a shield that only blocks physical damage. The +melee crit and crit damage/heal bonus from shaman are also very useful and glacial shield blocks all damage types.

Also the vengeance spell while doing pitiful damage counts as separate damage and therefor a separate heal as well which gives an extra chance per person healed when you hit anything to proc your healing trinkets/essences.

As i said in another thread before i read this one cab on top of giving you some resists against everything except life and death also gives you some AOE spells you can use to pull. and despite the fact you hit the parry cap spell power is always useful since it increases your damage and your heals.

51 points in justicar is quite worth it because every point is extra mitigation and doctrine of authority is actually a really great ability. Most fights have some form of aoe damage and as long as you time use of this so it heals people it generates heaps of threat. Also I haven't seen anything in the other tree's that's really worth losing the mitigation and "oh sht" buttons you would have to sacrifice to get them.

The charge from sham and pull together from ? (inq or cab can't remember which) would be nice but you need to sacrifice too much to get them and you don't gain anything that increases your survivability over things that are much lower in the trees.

I have tanked all t1s, RD, AP, greenscale's blight trash, infiltrator, and duke+oracle during the hylas fight.
    Last edited by JudgeMentalOne; 04-25-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KetMalice View Post
    Because inquisitor gives you some very useful stuff among which is a 50 end(plus 3% crit) buff that stacks with every other end in the game. With 1.2 they are changing it to a 50 end and plus armor buff.

Plus druid really doesn't get you much, at this stage in the game the 5% extra health will not be as much as the 50 end. The extra attack power you may pick up with a justicar shaman druid spec isn't going to be a big deal, and it will not effect your heals or 2 of your attacks that are in your normal rotation. If you are looking at druid for oak shield then you are better off going purifier, you can talent it to soak more damage then oak shield, plus you can pick up an extra 5% wis(which is more useful then 10% attack power over all) and 6% armor(which is effected by doing any kind of a heal, even off your auto attacks), all varying on how many points you have spent into your other trees.

The endurance buff from Inquisitor is multiplied by Mien of Leadership, while the 5% from Druid is not. You get several hundred hp from the Inquisitor armor.

What's more, the Inquisitor purge is HUGELY helpful as a tank. Inquisitor also gives you two ranged DOT's to pull with and gain initial aggro, which is nice.
    Cleric Tank -Guardian- Sunrest
    <Esti Efiu>

<a href="http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00nrG.Mcd.EuRsqeekRR.VM">Shaman (8) / Justicar (51) / Purifier (7)</a>

I honestly like this build for tanking 51/8/7 Justi/Sham/Puri Yup that's right Purifier. The 5%sp in cab is better than 5%wis but not by much, making the cab tree worth really only the 5 points. If you go Purifier you can pick up the two pts in Flame Ward for an extra 6% armor and also a nice little shield for when your sham shield is on cool down. Also from what I understand your salvation counts as a heal to keep Flame Ward procd. Depending on your style you could always zap a point from Just to get the Purifier blessing, but like a previous poster said DoA is one of are highest treat abilities. GL
    Last edited by SoulOfTorment; 04-25-2011 at 09:22 AM.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Mark Twain

General of Telara

well i was looking around because i wanted to start a justicar tank and got different build but cant seem to choose. The thing is, i dont know how mana efficient the cleric tank is so i made a ton of spec.

justi/sham/pur
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...yuRsVeezoo.VGk

why : shaman up to courage of the bear to get more block and heals and purifier for the blessings that generate a shield , a rez , the cauterize , the endu buff and the shield
    ================================================== =======
    justi/sham/pur0
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00nrG.med.EuRsqeekRR

why: Glory of the chosen for the heal on crit and ageless ice to restore mana
    justi/sham/inq
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...yuRsVeezoo.VLz

why: to get the new armor in inq for 1.2 , the purge and the dot for better aggro.
    justi/sham

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...o0z.yuRsVeszoo

this is a weird build, probably not worth it because i lose the CD of 50% healing but i get a battle charge wich justicar lack, i get better magic resist from the shaman and the wisdom buff.

You don't need any more than 8 in Shaman. Strength buff is not worth it's weight for cleric tanks. Inquisitor is ok, but your group should have a purge(Tank has enough to do). Also dot is not worth it, the endurance shield is only decent plus but I don't believe stacks well against other builds. I'm still a firm believer in this build.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00....EuRsqeekRR.VM
    Last edited by SoulOfTorment; 04-25-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast