+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Purifier healing: wtf am I doing wrong

Soulwalker

Default Purifier healing: wtf am I doing wrong

First off, I'm only 40, I know I'm not 50, so if it's just a level and scaling issue, I'll accept that and move on.

I rolled this character as a healer, so in instances I heal. At first I was a purifier build, as the tree description and a first glance at the talents told me it was the spec meant for main tank healing. I quickly found out that if ANYONE takes more than a little damage other than the tank, it's a wipe, you can't stop healing the tank for anything. At lower levels this wasn't much of a problem, but once I started getting into FC and higher level instances, purifier just couldn't keep up with the damage the tank was taking. All of the heals are either weak as piss or have a massive cast time. And if anyone pulls aggro, someone is going to die, because if I can barely keep the tank up, there's not a chance in hell I can put some heals on someone else.

I went full warden, and it's about 1000x easier, at this level warden is a better single target healer than purifier for some reason. AND there's enough aoe mixed in that no one goes below 95% unless I let them.

Is this working as intended? Is it just because of my level and they didn't really balance the healing at this level, only at 50?

Rift Disciple

warden to 50 than at 50 Purifier becomes good because you have 30+ points in sentinal to complement purifier tree. Basically Purifier sucks without Serendipity form sentinal.

At the risk of yet again comparing a healer type to another game - Purifiers in this game 'feel' like the shaman archetype in Everquest 2 (Mystics and Defilers). I raided with a Defiler, and it's not that the heals are weak, it's the way you have to think when you play one.

The biggest challenge for that kind of play was anticipating, not reacting to damage...since, as you say...heals are slow casting. If you are shielding a tank, you have to do it before he gets hit so he doesn't take damage vs. trying to make it up after he does. You need to communicate with the group you are in asking them to give you a chance to do precasting before they go tearing into a dungeon mob if it's going to be a challenge. You'll get used to doing this without really thinking about it - as will your tanks get used to pausing a little bit before running headlong into instant death because they didn't. It just takes a little time.

I also pvp'd as a Defiler on a pvp server. It was amazing for keeping squishies alive, but easily interrupted because of long cast times and..once wards were breached you were kind of screwed because you weren't going to be able to get a heal on them in time.

I have only played around a little bit with Purifier so am no expert, but this is kind of what I've seen ...for what it's worth, and hope that helps?

Rift Disciple

Purifier isn't very good in the level 39-47 range, without the haste from high end sent you can't keep up on heals. At 48 things get better, cause you can do 32 sent/32 purifier. Just make a 32 sent/XX warden build to get through the 40s.
    bird in cage
    bird peck on button to get food
    bird peck on button get food randomly, bird pecks constantly
    They play you like a stupid bird.
    Unfortunately that has been MMO standard operating procedure since EQ.

Rift Disciple

the 3 second heal cast times in this game suck. thats why the purifier sentinel hybrid build is so popular. it basically gives you about 7 oh **** buttons instead of direct healing through incoming damage. so essentially it becomes a cooldown rotation.

The devs really should have made it 2.5 seconds, especially given the way damage is dealt in this game.

we can only hope 1.2 brings better things. personally i'd recommend a warden/sentinel hybrid for healing while levelling .it makes for a more traditional mmo healing style (ie, a combination of hots, instant cast and direct heals)

Now it makes sense! XD Spamming the tank at low levels even with aniticpation and full use of my shields made instancing a little rough. Guess I will switch back to sent/ward until later levels. I love the Purifier style of healing but, not if I can barely keep the tank alive.

Rift Disciple

You should be casting before the tank starts getting hit. If he blocks everything and doesn't take much damage, sidestep to cancel the cast, and then start again. I keep instant cast heals (Healing Breath from Sent and Healing Flare from Puri) macro'd to a mousebutton with an @mouseover on them. If someone else gets smacked, they get an instant thrown their way, maybe a bubble if it's up (but it's usually on the tank already).

Honestly, proactive healing with a puri/sent build is still easier than hot management with a warden build.

With all of the cooldowns puri/sent gives you, I find it much easier for instances. When the tank starts getting beat to hell, I start popping cooldowns. With a warden spec... not so much.
    Last edited by redwards; 04-24-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Alltheselimes View Post
    First off, I'm only 40, I know I'm not 50, so if it's just a level and scaling issue, I'll accept that and move on.

I rolled this character as a healer, so in instances I heal. At first I was a purifier build, as the tree description and a first glance at the talents told me it was the spec meant for main tank healing. I quickly found out that if ANYONE takes more than a little damage other than the tank, it's a wipe, you can't stop healing the tank for anything. At lower levels this wasn't much of a problem, but once I started getting into FC and higher level instances, purifier just couldn't keep up with the damage the tank was taking. All of the heals are either weak as piss or have a massive cast time. And if anyone pulls aggro, someone is going to die, because if I can barely keep the tank up, there's not a chance in hell I can put some heals on someone else.

I went full warden, and it's about 1000x easier, at this level warden is a better single target healer than purifier for some reason. AND there's enough aoe mixed in that no one goes below 95% unless I let them.

Is this working as intended? Is it just because of my level and they didn't really balance the healing at this level, only at 50?
    Ya one of the big limitations for purifier is its lack of ability to heal the group. Bout the only thing i could recommend is to put surging flames on your self and use your instant cast heal from sent or something to help keep the group up. In my experience for t1's and t2's Purifier really is kind of limited bout the only place i see it having any real use is in raids where the shield from the heals and the cooldowns are of increased importance. The build i have the most success with is 38 warden 28 sent. You use the wardens soothing stream hot to buy you time if needed to toss a heal on an individual that took alot of dmg but where it really shines is in the synergy with healing flood and serendipidy. If you find your group taking alot of damage which healing flood just wont cut it pop healing flood which has a really good chance of proccing serendipidy then you get a .5 second cast healing communion which also has a good chance of proccing serendipidy again which would give you a 1.5 second healing invocation to catch back up on the tank. I originally built this build for hylas and healing through the soul fractures and quickly found it to be extremely usefull for all healing. With this build ive been able to effectively solo heal the gatekeeper in eDSM which is a fairly hard fight for both group dmg and tank dmg. Anyhow give it a shot.

Shadowlander

Comparing 51 point builds to each other, purifier has the lowest healing/sec. Warden is the highest because it's warden, and then comes sentinel due to serendipity. You've got 4 effective choices for a healer basically:
    pure sent
    sent/purifier
    sent/warden
    pure warden

Trying to do pure purifier is just asking for trouble. You've got no real group heals, and your only heal worth something is the 3 sec, there's no group cure, no battle res, very poor 36 and 38 point roots, and several skills are effectively wasted points (enflamed rejuvenation, healing blessing, healing spirit, caregivers grace, caregivers blessing, healing flare, flame ward). For that reason it hybridizes so well, particularly with sent.

If you want a MT healer, any of the above 4 will work, I use sent/purifier myself.
    Last edited by Brael2; 04-24-2011 at 03:18 PM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Basically I agree with what the above posters have said. 51pt Purifier has its spot as MT heals in a raid, but for dungeons, you can do better.

This guide may help you.

Here is one for Warden as well.

Era
    Champion of Telara

I went Purifier/Sentinel (@ 43), and although it's rough sometimes, I really enjoy it. When others get beat on, I pop my crit cooldowns and start overhealing on the tank to get the group up, or throw a couple instants their way during the short time the tank has a shield on them. Sometimes I do have to let a DPS die when the tank's taking a pounding.
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

Rift Disciple

purifer was my dungeon spec until 50, just spam the tank w/ 3 sec heal for the shield it leaves

edit: ya, it sucks after that (except on greenscale)
    Last edited by bored; 04-24-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltheselimes View Post

stay AHEAD.

if you keep your tank overhealed you can get the other party members just enough healing.
    if someone other than the tank is constantly taking that much damage.... your spec isnt the issue.
    being a purifier teaches you whats important, keeping the tank up

Soulwalker

There is also the option of double casting if you are using sent/puri at 50. (with the pre-cast happening.)

In other words, surging flames is a really crappy ability if you can never overheal. Using the Sent main heal with shield/shield blessing will keep the tank alive in most situations.

When looking at group healing, you double cast 3s followed immediately after with Healing Breath. HB hits 3 people, easily crits for 2k and will overheal a good 95% of the time. In additon, the 8second return from the sent heal can also proc overheal.

I used warden until approx. lvl 44 when cycling began to be problematic. After i finish testing some more melee builds, i'll be keeping a warden/sent build for offhealing in raids. (if i ever get in any.)
    Last edited by Talimar; 04-24-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Telaran

Sounds like you need to just work on your heal/shield timing, I'm 44 pur/22 sent and I can heal through T1's and T2's(havent been to DD/DSM yet) yeah you might need a support healer but if you time your 'oh ****' buttons with your 45s instaheal/autocrit you can do wonders with surging flames or communion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast