+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Increased macro slots required for 1.2

Exclamation Increased macro slots required for 1.2

First of all, apologies if this is posted in the incorrect forum, however I have a couple of clerics and I have noticed that they can be quite macro intensive compared to other classes if you take advantage of all that macros have to offer.

With the announced 5th role for 1.2 I would like to know if Trion intend to increase the available macro slots in line with this change?

In addition I think the current ratio of macro slots per role needs to be revised. I am currently unable to utilise a fourth role due to macro slot pressure. I am using 24/25 slots with my three roles and I don't believe I have been overly excessive. Here is a quick breakdown;

Tanking Role: 7 Macros (Single, Multiple, DPS, Oh #%@!, Bubble, AOE Pull, Mouseover RM)
    DPS Role: 5 Macros (DPS, AOE, Debuff, Cooldowns, Ranged)
    DPS Off Healer: 9 Macros (DPS, AOE, Debuff, Cooldowns, Self Heal, Pet Heal, 3xOther)

I also use macros to switch gear and roles, with three roles that brings the total to 24. I'd like to have a healing role, however with the number of mouseover macros I would like to use there simply aren't enough macro slots available. I could probably pull back 3 macros from the DPS Off Healer and lose the role switching macros but it seems a lot to lose.

If I had more slots available I could also take advantage of the other macro functions I have had to omit such as targeting, assisting, announcing targets, raid warnings etc. Please Trion, lift the number of macro slots so something a little less restrictive. I would suggest 10 per role is reasonable, doubling the current total from 25 to 50.

Any others experiencing macro slot pressure?

Plane Walker

Wow man I am not sure what to say. I heal and DPS in raids, and I tank in T2's. I have like 5 macros and use only 3.

Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree

I heal with mouseover macros, and I have to change them every time I want to try a new spec because there aren't enough slots to have them for every spec. Result: it takes me an hour+ to respec. Uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by KetMalice View Post
    Wow man I am not sure what to say. I heal and DPS in raids, and I tank in T2's. I have like 5 macros and use only 3.
    Macros certainly aren't required, and some purists would argue that they somehow "cheapen" the game. Regardless, the use of macros is a personal choice. I actively play three characters, all with multiple roles and find macros make that experience a lot easier.

If I had time to invest in more thoroughly familiarising myself with all the nuances of each class and role that I like to play, and practicing all of their rotations and rapid use of situational abilities, then I could forgo most of the macros and instead use all the memorised keybinds and "finger memory". But I don't have the time; this isn't my job - more's the pity.

I am sure you wouldn't be opposed to an increase in the number of macro slots for those that use them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowler Hat View Post
    Macros certainly aren't required, and some purists would argue that they somehow "cheapen" the game. Regardless, the use of macros is a personal choice. I actively play three characters, all with multiple roles and find macros make that experience a lot easier.

If I had time to invest in more thoroughly familiarising myself with all the nuances of each class and role that I like to play, and practicing all of their rotations and rapid use of situational abilities, then I could forgo most of the macros and instead use all the memorised keybinds and "finger memory". But I don't have the time; this isn't my job - more's the pity.

I am sure you wouldn't be opposed to an increase in the number of macro slots for those that use them?
    I think you need to re-evaluate how many macros you need, but that's personal choice and you should play whatever way is fun for you within the rules of the game.

Personally, I've done fine with the limit of 25. I probably use 15 or 16 slots.
    Sticky some #$%#^$# guides so that people stop asking the same question for the 100th time or posting information that is clearly wrong.
    "Death to the dragons!" -
    Defiant NPCs
    "I will do my part, but I have no desire to play the hero" -
    Kira during Unseen Agent quest chain
    "Death is the best interrupt" - Guildie one night when we were doing expert RD
    Saga of the Endless guide: http://www.unseenagent.net/guides/qu...of-the-endless

I went and counted

4 loadequip/role macros for different roles
    2 fanaticism + trinket + spell macros for inquis
    3 tanking ability macros for justicar (ST, AE, ranged)
    1 self-shield macro (tries to use one of the 4 different shields I have in various roles)
    1 self-heal macro for pvp
    14 healing mouseover and/or spell combination macros, which barely covers 1 role (cookie-cutter pve 34/32)

IDK, what's so excessive about that? I could probably make 20 more that would still be somewhat useful if I had room for them. As it is, I have stuff from different roles in the same macros, which spams my chat with "ability could not be found" when I use them. Had to make a new chat window just to hear actual chat.

Champion

I think maybe what's in order is a smaller use of macros and a bigger use of keybinds+single skill buttons . Also, if you really look at your macros, i'm sure some of them can be consolidated. An example that comes to mind is when i was leveling as sha/dru/war, I had a ranged and a dps macro (i actually experimented with several ranged macros). They were:

Melee
    Massive Blow
    Lightning Hammer
    Crushing Blow

Ranged
    Battle Charge
    Bombard
    Waterjet

Eventually i added Bombard to my dps macro because i noticed it did great dmg. Then i realized i could add waterjet to the bottom of my dps macro and it would trigger anytime i wasn't in range and bombard was down (which is exactly how i would cast it anyway). I didn't end up using less buttons for that build, but i did clear a spot on the macro screen. Now i think i use 10 or 12 Macros... and that includes Mouseovers for my HoTs on my warden/sent/justicar build (don't ask, lol, but surpisingly it works and it's fun rofl).

Anyway, just look through, i'm sure you'll find some of your macros can be combined and it'll free up some space for you.

Also, do you need macros for Oh $#!*, Bubble, etc? Only reason i could ever see having a macro for these is to communicate to the healer that you've used it. Couldn't you just have 1 macro that says "CD used;" I think that would give a healer a proper heads up. And if it's a raid, you should be on Vent or something, and you could just say it
    In reference to someone else:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gany
    QFDumb
    In reference to me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Seniella
    QFAwesome.
    Unrelated Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie328 View Post
    Anyway, just look through, i'm sure you'll find some of your macros can be combined and it'll free up some space for you.
    I am rather adroit at crafting macros, and already a big fan of combination melee/range macros. Yes, as I've already stated I could probably cull a few macros, however that will free up at most 4 or maybe 5 slots. This still won't be enough to cover the already expensive 4th and no doubt exorbitant 5th role.

The problem is compounded by the chat spam you get from using a macro with an unknown ability, the chat spam occurs just with the presence of the unknown ability, and not just at the time it would normally be triggered in the macro. If the suppressmacrofailures switch suppressed chat messages as well then I could use some common macros across multiple roles; I have two Druid roles on one character for instance.

In addition I have some extra macros to reliably heal my pet in combat since the mouseover macro is currently broken and unreliable (this will be addressed in 1.2 with the mouseoverui switch).

I appreciate your feedback, but I don't believe this is a case of just dealing with the current restrictions as best as I can, I believe the current limitations are too restrictive, do not scale and will certainly need to be addressed to accomodate a fifth role. If Trion are concerned by the total number of macro slots available, perhaps they need to restructure the macro system. Perhaps 15 "common" macro slots and 10 macro slots per role rather than just lifting the total number of base macro slots. I'm sure there are other possibilites that provide the appropriate restrictions yet also provide options for people who have invested in the 4th and 5th role.

There must be plenty of people (@mouseover healers especially) who are in the same situation. Perhaps there are some other suggestions?

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Bowler Hat View Post
    First of all, apologies if this is posted in the incorrect forum, however I have a couple of clerics and I have noticed that they can be quite macro intensive compared to other classes if you take advantage of all that macros have to offer.

With the announced 5th role for 1.2 I would like to know if Trion intend to increase the available macro slots in line with this change?

In addition I think the current ratio of macro slots per role needs to be revised. I am currently unable to utilise a fourth role due to macro slot pressure. I am using 24/25 slots with my three roles and I don't believe I have been overly excessive. Here is a quick breakdown;

Tanking Role: 7 Macros (Single, Multiple, DPS, Oh #%@!, Bubble, AOE Pull, Mouseover RM)
    DPS Off Healer: 9 Macros (DPS, AOE, Debuff, Cooldowns, Self Heal, Pet Heal, 3xOther)

I also use macros to switch gear and roles, with three roles that brings the total to 24. I'd like to have a healing role, however with the number of mouseover macros I would like to use there simply aren't enough macro slots available. I could probably pull back 3 macros from the DPS Off Healer and lose the role switching macros but it seems a lot to lose.

If I had more slots available I could also take advantage of the other macro functions I have had to omit such as targeting, assisting, announcing targets, raid warnings etc. Please Trion, lift the number of macro slots so something a little less restrictive. I would suggest 10 per role is reasonable, doubling the current total from 25 to 50.

Any others experiencing macro slot pressure?

Okay it bothers me so I have to respond heh.

Okay so your single target macro okay, Multiple? You just spam cleave and your single target macro once to keep the shield block up. DPS? What is that in tank spec? Oh ****? Since you have several oh **** buttons you probably don't want to have those in a macro and use those in singles when needed. Bubble? You mean 2 shields at most you have? You need to macro that? AoE pull? I don't understand, you run in spamming cleave and throw a taunt if you don't grab them, what do you even macro for that? Mouseover RM? I guess I am an idiot because I don't even know wtf that is. Mandate? You switch mandate mid fights?

Hmm okay you have a ranged macro so I assume you are melee. DPS, okay your single target. AoE? I am pretty sure there is just one AoE button for melee, okay 2 if you really want to. Debuff? That should be in your single target macro. Cooldowns? You absolutely do not want to macro those. Ranged, uhh again there is one skill bombard, what is the macro for?

Man i don't even know what to say with this one, I assume senticar? Oh wait pet heal, wtf off heal class are you? Yeah man I don't even know how to approach this one because that pet heal thing, pretty much no clue what kind of off heal spec you are running there.

Yeah well it bothers me that your focus is on what I use macros for and not the topic of the post, so I don't have to respond.
    Last edited by Bowler Hat; 04-24-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Prophet of Telara

If mouseover was an interface option, instead of just a macro option, it would alleviate a lot of problems. Make it happen!

Rift Chaser

Okay so your single target macro okay, Multiple? You just spam cleave and your single target macro once to keep the shield block up. DPS? What is that in tank spec? Oh ****? Since you have several oh **** buttons you probably don't want to have those in a macro and use those in singles when needed. Bubble? You mean 2 shields at most you have? You need to macro that? AoE pull? I don't understand, you run in spamming cleave and throw a taunt if you don't grab them, what do you even macro for that? Mouseover RM? I guess I am an idiot because I don't even know wtf that is. Mandate? You switch mandate mid fights?

Hmm okay you have a ranged macro so I assume you are melee. DPS, okay your single target. AoE? I am pretty sure there is just one AoE button for melee, okay 2 if you really want to. Debuff? That should be in your single target macro. Cooldowns? You absolutely do not want to macro those. Ranged, uhh again there is one skill bombard, what is the macro for?

Man i don't even know what to say with this one, I assume senticar? Oh wait pet heal, wtf off heal class are you? Yeah man I don't even know how to approach this one because that pet heal thing, pretty much no clue what kind of off heal spec you are running there.
    OP is clearly just a better player then you.. Sorry to be the one to tell you. For AOE as a tank, you have Maelstrom in some builds, in addition to EJ, in addition to wanting to keep Precept up. DPS could just be a tank macro sans Precept for when he's offtanking in a raid, his target dies, and he needs only high dps abilities. Or for bosses like the last one in RD where there is a phase that's contingent on high dps, but a tank isnt needed. He has 2, maybe 3 bubbles, and macroing them all to one ability saves keyboard real estate, which is the case with many macros. Keybinds are precious. Putting more abilities to each key is VERY helpful. And yes, a good tank will switch Mandate mid fight. Sorry you're not at that level yet.

I imagine the same concepts apply to the rest of his roles. Just because YOU aren't skilled enough to take advantage of macros to their fullest doesnt mean that you should ridicule those who are.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Lucasa View Post
    OP is clearly just a better player then you.. Sorry to be the one to tell you. For AOE as a tank, you have Maelstrom in some builds, in addition to EJ, in addition to wanting to keep Precept up. DPS could just be a tank macro sans Precept for when he's offtanking in a raid, his target dies, and he needs only high dps abilities. Or for bosses like the last one in RD where there is a phase that's contingent on high dps, but a tank isnt needed. He has 2, maybe 3 bubbles, and macroing them all to one ability saves keyboard real estate, which is the case with many macros. Keybinds are precious. Putting more abilities to each key is VERY helpful. And yes, a good tank will switch Mandate mid fight. Sorry you're not at that level yet.

I imagine the same concepts apply to the rest of his roles. Just because YOU aren't skilled enough to take advantage of macros to their fullest doesnt mean that you should ridicule those who are.
    If you are using Maelstorm then I don't even know what to say. Even if you are using Maelstorm why would you macro it? You don't want it just randomly going off when you are spamming your Even Justice. 21 points into Cabalist for tanking? Even Justice is the only cleave you use. Having your shields macro'ed is a horrible idea. You don't want the wrong shield going off because it was first in line. Or wasting a GCD when you are going down on a crappy shield when you need the large one.

Precept should be in the 1 slot of your single target macro, so you don't need to put it in anything else. When you are spamming EJ you hit your single target macro once every few seconds. Go ahead and macro for tank dps, that extra 50 dps is going to really matter. I would rather be building secondary threat in case a mishap happens. Tank DPS is just lol.

You can go ahead and waste GCD's on switching mandates around. I will be working on threat. You obviously haven't tanked against 15-1700 DPS DPS'ers. I am pretty sure I trust my healers on keeping people healed, the extra 100 HPS you can bring with your mandate on someone is not going to help.

You sir have obviously not tanked in raids.

Rift Disciple

I have 2 macros for melee dps spec <single and multi> and 2 macros for main healer <mouseover oh-**** and mouseover insta heals> and I do just fine, but I have allways been a point and click'r rather than a keyboard masher (not coordinated enough to use move keys and number keys at the same time

Telaran

I've use all my macro slots, but it is mainly for aesthetic purposes and the lack of a good self cast key. I also have an old school keyboard and I mean old school, so I don't have the f1-f12 keys near by, so I'm limited to 12345QECXZVFRGTB`

I do however use macros to create modifiers for spells. Although I mainly do it so I don't have 3-4 bars on my screen.

#show Restorative Flame
    cast [alt] @self Healing Breath
    cast @mouseover Healing Breath

#show Bolt of Judgment
    cast [alt] Bolt of Depravity
    cast Bolt of Judgment

#show Touch the Light
    cast Touch the Light
    cast Flashover or Tidal Surge
    Kenrik, 50 Cleric - Guardian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast