+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: What is the point of wisdom?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default What is the point of wisdom?

    Ok so after having a brief look at some the stat benifits we get from wisdom compared to that we get from int. And then looking over some of the rdps trees, mdps trees and healing trees. I have concluded that int is a far better stat for most if not all cleirc builds. For healing clerics, they get a bigger mana pool and a higher chance to proc both "overflow" and "serendipity", and more mana gained back from casade. For rdps builds, talents like corporal punishment, make stacking crit (int) better than wisdom. And for melee cleric's have a talent called lust for blood which makes crit far better. I know wisdom is converted to spellpower, but the conversion ratio is really bad to that of int to crit. For me as a melee cleric 341 wisdom = 255 spell power and 301 int = 301 spell cirt. This reason i find this concerning is the rumours i've been hearing say that they are taken away the ablity for clerics to wear mage(cloth) gear, i can understand this from a mage point of view but to do this they either have to make wisdom a more valuable stat(from talents) or increase the int on chain gear.

  2. #2
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Wisdom matters, int is handy. But wisdom matters!

  3. #3
    Plane Walker StChoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    409

    Default

    I agree.

    I hope with the new upcoming patch they will give us some Int buff.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrys View Post
    Wisdom matters, int is handy. But wisdom matters!
    mind telling me how wisdom matters more than crit

  5. #5
    Plane Walker Tuskon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    469

    Default

    If you enjoy having 1/4th the spellpower you could have by stacking wis, they by all means stack int.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSorrow View Post
    So just because this doesn't work like every other game it's bad?
    Adapt, adopt and improve. If you can't do that, maybe it's something other than the game that's bad.
    Level 50 Cleric:Tuskon

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuskon View Post
    If you enjoy having 1/4th the spellpower you could have by stacking wis, they by all means stack int.
    as i stated the wisdom has a bad conversion ratio to sp, i have only adds a 1/4 more to my sp. i have 341 wisdom which is = 255 sp. I have 900 sp overall
    Last edited by 5gbrown; 04-22-2011 at 04:55 PM.

  7. #7
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5gbrown View Post
    This reason i find this concerning is the rumours i've been hearing say that they are taken away the ablity for clerics to wear mage(cloth) gear, i can understand this from a mage point of view but to do this they either have to make wisdom a more valuable stat(from talents) or increase the int on chain gear.

    Are they taking away the ability for us to wear cloth? I had not heard any serious talk of this.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker Asolar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Wisdom matters more simple because it gives more spell power, wich all your heals and attacks is focus on. Having a higher base heal is far more importent that having a high crit. Wisdom also give mana regen, and that helps to, where as a bigger mana pool is fine and all but you dont really need more than what you get from the int thats on the wisdom items , smart cleric simple dont have mana problems.

    A crit aint that great if your heal is low because of spell power, so Wisdom is always better than int and spell power is always better than crit changes if you can choose betreewn those to.
    Asolar SUN

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Asolar View Post
    Wisdom matters more simple because it gives more spell power, wich all your heals and attacks is focus on. Having a higher base heal is far more importent that having a high crit. Wisdom also give mana regen, and that helps to, where as a bigger mana pool is fine and all but you dont really need more than what you get from the int thats on the wisdom items , smart cleric simple dont have mana problems.

    A crit aint that great if your heal is low because of spell power, so Wisdom is always better than int and spell power is always better than crit changes if you can choose betreewn those to.
    The spell power wisdom gives you is low to the crit int gives you. Also when you crit you gain more haste and proc overflow, isn't that better than having more sp as faster heals = more throughput?

  10. #10
    Plane Walker Stabsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    482

    Default

    More sp is more throughput too because every cast is better.

    You're trying to argue that sc is superior in theory because of Serendipity procs and what have you. What you need to do is test in practice.

    Disregarding mana, Int is 0.25 sp and 1.0 sc, Wisdom is 0.75 sp. So the difference is 1.0 sc v 0.5 sp, in other words Int is better than Wis if sp is less than twice as good as sc.

    Put crit heavy gear on, collect some data, swap to sp gear, collect some data. It's only in testing that we'll get a clear picture.
    Guild Leader of Serenity on Bloodiron EU PvP
    I blog at http://stabbedup.blogspot.com/

  11. #11
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stabsy View Post
    More sp is more throughput too because every cast is better.

    You're trying to argue that sc is superior in theory because of Serendipity procs and what have you. What you need to do is test in practice.

    Disregarding mana, Int is 0.25 sp and 1.0 sc, Wisdom is 0.75 sp. So the difference is 1.0 sc v 0.5 sp, in other words Int is better than Wis if sp is less than twice as good as sc.

    Put crit heavy gear on, collect some data, swap to sp gear, collect some data. It's only in testing that we'll get a clear picture.
    ok i take your point but i mainly play as a melee dps so havent tested the healing side of things i have just looked at the talents. I know for a fact sc is better for melee tho

  12. #12
    Telaran Allegorical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    48

    Default

    There is a problem with wisdom, but it's not that cleric will trade int for wisdom, because they shouldn't. The problem is that wisdom is only useful for spell power.

    Only sentinel can manage sacrificing a fair amount of spellpower for spell crit, and this is because of two reasons. They have the benefits to really make sue of it (serendipity and bonus crit), and they have the tools to take care of problems that arise when they don't crit for long periods.

    The problem with trying to focus on spell crit as a healer is one of consistency. DPS can afford to go crit heavy because they have the option to balance out over a long period of time. A DPS who crits 5 times in a row followed by 5 non crits is as effective as any dps who does 10 hits for exactly the same average damage. A healer who crits 5 times in a row followed by 5 noncrits is far worse than a healer who puts out 10 heals for the exact same average hps.

    The reason for this is that healers have a much smaller window to work with. DPS have hundreds of thousands of hp, and healers have 10k. If you get a long string of crits you end up simply overhealing and receiving no benefit. If you get a long string of noncrits, then you're in deep trouble (because you sacrificed spellpower for crits), and can fail to keep someone alive.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched Brolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Stacking int is bad. But stacking Crit is good. Try to find a balance between SP and Crit... ATM fully raid buffed I have 1110 SP and 33% crit on heals. I could be up to 1200-1250 SP but down around 28% crit, and that additional 100 SP is barely anything in raid situations, where Crits are much much more valuable in terms of raw healing output, especially when running any AoE heal spec.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-need-love-too.
    Henceforth only Rogues and Clerics may QQ.

    ‎"Whenever I start to feel love and compassion for the human race I remind myself that TMZ exists so I can go back to being a misanthrope"

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    134

    Default

    I'd really like to see an increase in spell power conversion from Wis. Maybe 1:1, maybe even higher. I think it'd be ok for clerics to be more about larger consistent damage, and let mages be more about burst, but wis needs a buff for that to really happen

    People count int's higher mana pool as a bonus and dismiss mana regen, but regen can really matter for healing clerics (who have a much tougher time regening mana through abilities, whereas the dps clerics have more options). at 337 wis, i have like 111 mana per 10 sec. That certainly adds up over a boss fight. That's not to say that the regen is BETTER than the higher initial pool, unless you're starting with less than full mana, but i don't think that you can really say that the higher mana pool is a check in the int column either.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brolly View Post
    Stacking int is bad. But stacking Crit is good.
    ok 1 int = 1 crit so i don't what you mean there

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts