+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heal tank?

Soulwalker

Default Heal tank?

has anyone explored the possiblity of healing tanking?

i would like to start off saying i do not expect this to be viable but i am curious. Since justi dps sucks no matter how you cut it, what about generating healing aggro. sound crazy? probably is. the idea is to spam heals on your self/group to generate threat with 300% threat generation from mien of leadership. Yes i know -40% heal from it. but if anyone knows what kind of threat healing generate compared to dmg i would love you forever. ie: 1 heal = .5 threat and 1 dmg = 1 threat. i dunno. regardless since aoe dps for a justi build is sub-par in holding aggro with a group memeber who puts out over 2k aoe dps i would like to try healing. as healing generates threat on all mobs involved in the fight. the other question i would need answered would be : if im at full life would the heal still generate its project threat? or does it only generate for real life replacing heals?

If this works there are obvious benefits as being your own off healer and if aoe pull u would never need to worry about mana since the block mana skill would pretty much keep you full. and im sure in comments i will find just about every negative thing.

if anyone can help me in my threat research it would be highly beneficial

Soulwalker

I've thought about this as well. I can tell you that heals don't generate threat unless actual healing is done.

Rift Disciple

Push back and stuns would be a big issue with heal tanking. It also develops a dependency on the tank healing himself to stay alive, which just doesn't work when you are in a fight where you have to move or pick up adds. Lastly, the only worth while heals for tank healing are in trees other than Justicar and MoL greatly reduces the healing provided by other trees.

Soulwalker

while yes push back would be bad for the tank being beaten on, but there are plenty of instant cast heals. and further more with the -40% heals i would never expect the tank to be his own main healer. a justi tank could easily stack a few hots from warden and cycle in some life atks to spam the instant justi heals inbetween refresh times. this may make for better tanking since more heals on your self takes away some sweat for the main healer. but if thats all im going to accomplish i would aggree with most people in taking the points into other trees

all though it is disconcerting to know that heals dont generate threat with out actual life replacement. thus making this a very risky tank, and the idea is now being scrap. was just me doing a little thinking out loud

Plane Walker

I have been thinking that in 10 man raids a Justicar could make an awesome OFF tank.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...z.yuRsVeMzoo.x

You would have your righteous mandate on the main tank.

Spam Doctrine of Righteousness when he is getting hit, Doctrine of Bliss when you are getting hit, Doctrine of Loyalty w/ Protect the Flock when the group is getting hit. All at 300% threat.

You have Reprieve to keep him (or yourself) from dieing, Absolution to bring him back if he does, Empowering Light for mass cleanse,..

When the main tank does fall, if battle rezing at 300% threat doesn't grab agro (good luck), then you have Bolt of Radiance and Righteous Imperative to force the issue.

Also, upon taking agro it will take a couple seconds for the main healer to switch over. Just Defense (big shield) and Shield of the Ancestors (little shield) should make that much smoother.

I can't wait to get to a level to try this.

Also, I'm not sure, but Shards of Light may be able to charge all 4 of your convictions in 2-4 seconds when not receiving push back. If that is how the channeling mechanic works I might try that for one of the Sentinel points, I have not tested that, though.

+ Reply to Thread