+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Healing Experts... having a bit of trouble

Default Healing Experts... having a bit of trouble

as a healer this is probably the most frustrating game to heal in, i heal in all games and this has been so difficult, we get thrown, stunned, we have to constantly move, it just seems like too much going on to heal, it makes healing not even fun, the tank drops sooo fast and only 1 instant heal HB i just don't understand how to heal in this lmao especially in T2
    Last edited by Austin23; 04-21-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Harrow - RPpvp

Rift Disciple

I was quite frustrated when I first started healing the experts also. Now days I find them quite easy.

First thing you need is to find a spec you are comfortable with. I have been using 34 Puri/32 Sent for quite a while and have found it great. It offers some nice big heals, plenty of buttons to mash when you hit trouble, some AoE healing and a battle rez that comes in handy. Lately I've been using 51 warden also which has been fun but is missing the brez.

You need to get some sort of decent gear(although not totally required if you have a good group). You can buy armor/weapons/tomes/jewellery from crafters and the AH or just run a few experts and get some drops/plaques. The extra stats really help and bump up your heals a bit.

Knowledge of the dungeons helps if no one is going to help you so you could try just dpsing a few and learn what happens.

Good groups is probably the biggest factor though for me. So many fail pug groups because people do not understand what they are doing but act like they do. It does get frustrating/annoying, I try to go on guild runs only nowdays as we smash through most things with no troubles and everyone is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyus View Post
    I was quite frustrated when I first started healing the experts also. Now days I find them quite easy.

First thing you need is to find a spec you are comfortable with. I have been using 34 Puri/32 Sent for quite a while and have found it great. It offers some nice big heals, plenty of buttons to mash when you hit trouble, some AoE healing and a battle rez that comes in handy. Lately I've been using 51 warden also which has been fun but is missing the brez.

You need to get some sort of decent gear(although not totally required if you have a good group). You can buy armor/weapons/tomes/jewellery from crafters and the AH or just run a few experts and get some drops/plaques. The extra stats really help and bump up your heals a bit.

Knowledge of the dungeons helps if no one is going to help you so you could try just dpsing a few and learn what happens.

Good groups is probably the biggest factor though for me. So many fail pug groups because people do not understand what they are doing but act like they do. It does get frustrating/annoying, I try to go on guild runs only nowdays as we smash through most things with no troubles and everyone is great.
    I have no choice but to pug and im geared realistically well SP is 850 and spell crit is like 352 but the moving is so frustrating like RD the first boss omg what a pain in the ***
    Harrow - RPpvp

Ascendant

Are you trying to solo heal? If so, T2 is near impossible to solo heal the bosses unless your tank is overgeared. Rictus can be rather difficult until you get used to moving around to safe spots. A bard/chloro will make your life tons easier as a healer.

I also found healing experts very challenging to begin with, and this has given the game a lot more longevity for me than I anticipated when I started playing.

I initually tried a 51 point purifier spec, which my first expert dungeon revealed to be pathetic. While I was eventually able to get my quite patient team through the dungeon, I immediately ran here and stole the cookie cutter 32/34 sent/puri healing setup, and it felt like I was suddenly three times the healer I had been as a pure purifier. This figure continued to improve as I learned to use the role more effectively.

The difficulty is what makes the task rewarding. Note that it is only rewarding if your tank is at least passably decent ;-)

Oh, and in line with the poster above me, I suggest never moving with a team that doesn't have a support healing option, at least until you're very confident in your own and your tank's abilities.
    Last edited by Stage; 04-21-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    Sparkwing:
    Phasechange
    Goatdude
    Stage
    Battlespork

Rift Disciple

Yea I found fights like the manticores(when the group I was in was trying to do it so everyone sat at side of Autoch despite tank getting knocked all over the place and myself having to move all the time to keep up AND dodge the AoE Mandrach(sp?) puts down) quite hard due to the constant movement.

51pt Warden is quite good for high movement fights due to most of the HoTs being instant as are some of the AoEs.....will still need to stop and cast occasionally of course but its nothing like you having to need the time to constantly cast a 3 sec heal over and over(although if you are specced in puri/sent you'd have touch the light and Healing Breath/shields can help also if you need some instants).

Always helps to have a chloro/bard helping though of course which I guess you do.

Count me among those who went 32/34 and immediately felt twice as powerful. It's the cookie cutter spec for a reason.

Rift Disciple

The puri/sent - around the 50/50 mark spec is one that I find the most adaptable. Use the shields for times when you have to move, it gives you time to get settled then get your single target heals off. Its great for spike dmg on the tank, and HC and DC are generally good enough for get out of *** grp heals although a bit mana heavy.

Don't forget with most of the Puri spec, you can shield yourself also, good for when there is ground AoE and you need to survive, get yourself out, and time to reposition. Keep yourself up first in situations like that and you have more chance of keeping the tank up - dead clerics don't heal alot
    Last edited by Traxis; 04-22-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Rift Chaser

I am lvl 37 right now and I am wondering if someone could post that cookie cutter build of sent/puri.

Thank you

Rift Disciple

There isn't so much a cookie cutter build as much as key talents. The 31 and 32 in both puri and sent plus serendipity at top of sentinel are the only real requirements in my mind. Everything else is choice. I prefer to spec out the purifier 3 second heal and use that as my staple and haste it up with sentinel abilities. For movement fights you have 2 decent insta single heals, divine call and touch the light. You have healing communion for aoe heal, but you can't spam this or you will go oom really fast. For healing T1s at first and T2s at first you need help on bosses and some pulls. I prefer a chloro off healer, but a bard works too. As your tanks get better geared they need less and less healing.
    bird in cage
    bird peck on button to get food
    bird peck on button get food randomly, bird pecks constantly
    They play you like a stupid bird.
    Unfortunately that has been MMO standard operating procedure since EQ.

Rift Disciple

Yes having to constantly move to avoid ground effects, ae,s and other stuff makes it hard for non warden healers, 1st thing to do is macro your OH**** stuff, usually with a mouseover, I also have healing breath <insta heal on 8 sec CD, will heal 3 ppl if specced> and healing spray <warden 0 point insta HoT> macro with mouseover, this helps you react faster and gives you an instant heal to drop when moving, you also get a 1 min CD insta grp heal if things start going south, during some fights if its not major dmg I will ignore it and not move just heal thru it with shared recovery + my personal shield <spikes on end boss in KB>

Rift Disciple

If you're starting out healing T1.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN OFF HEALER!

Seriously, best thing you can possibly do. None of the T1 fights has any sort of dps race mechanic or anything requiring much over 500 party dps. Having the extra healing lets you get used to what things need dispelling and buys everyone extra wriggle room for learning fight mechanics and all that other fun stuff.

Next, poke around and try either of the two cookie cutter healing specs. Sent/warden is a more mobile aoe healing spec that focuses on spell power over crit and offers fewer 'oh craps'. Purifier/sent offers more 'oh crap' (shields, buff that heals when the tank drops low, better 45s cd "DON"T WANNA DIE") but suffers on aoe healing.

Either way, make sure you have an AOE dispell.

If you haven't been healing much (only picked up healing when you hit 50) go to AP/CC normal and do about 5 runs. I also recommend this when learning to tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin23 View Post
    I have no choice but to pug and im geared realistically well SP is 850 and spell crit is like 352 but the moving is so frustrating like RD the first boss omg what a pain in the ***
    If you want actual help, you need to provide more information.

This could be a gear, spec or group composition problem. I suggest googling a guide.
    Sticky some #$%#^$# guides so that people stop asking the same question for the 100th time or posting information that is clearly wrong.
    "Death to the dragons!" -
    Defiant NPCs
    "I will do my part, but I have no desire to play the hero" -
    Kira during Unseen Agent quest chain
    "Death is the best interrupt" - Guildie one night when we were doing expert RD
    Saga of the Endless guide: http://www.unseenagent.net/guides/qu...of-the-endless

+ Reply to Thread