+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Healer's Weapon...

Default Healer's Weapon...

Hi All

I am 42 Cleric, working on my healing gear... so far I have been using a 2h staff, as all the weapons I come across, this seems to offer the best stats, esp spell power...

I wanted to use a 1h and a shield to increase my survivability... but I haven't come across any 1h+shield combo that can give me better or equivalent stats than my 2h... in fact, there is a huge drop off in stats if I choose mace and shield versus staff...

am I just not finding the proper equipment? or should I just be using a staff and not bother with shield/mace?

Shadowlander

I would continue using a 2H Staff, or a 2H Mace if you can find one.

I'd use a 2H Mace if you're leveling as a Melee build like I did, or even as a caster as the stats are similar compared to a 2H Staff, but more Wisdom instead of Int.

Shield+Mace is more of a Justicar thing. It does work well, especially if you plan to AoE grind as a Justicar spec, but that can be done just as good, if not better with any 2H Staff or Mace in say, a Inquisitor or Shaman AoE spec. Again, like you said, the fall back is less Spell power and other stats carrying around a shield.

(edit) Also like to note... 2H Maces are harder to come by than 2H Staves it seems. You lose a bit of melee damage on them, but they too will work fine. If you're going pure Heals, it really doesn't matter much. I run around with a 2H Mace in my healing gear. It works well in any spec I play in. I'd still suggest a 2H Staff/Mace for healing. A shield later, won't help much in survivability. If you're going to die; you're going to die. If the tank can't hold aggro, or something goes wrong, a shield won't save you.
    Last edited by Kerafy; 04-20-2011 at 10:02 PM.

The only comparison with a staff or mace is a 1h and totem, you will get a little more spellpower out of them and a little less stats. Unfortunately there aren't any cleric shields with a large amount of sp out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maiska View Post
    The only comparison with a staff or mace is a 1h and totem, you will get a little more spellpower out of them and a little less stats. Unfortunately there aren't any cleric shields with a large amount of sp out there.
    MH+Totem >>>>>>>>>>>>> Staff.
    Just because the book animation rules.

Plane Touched

Well if you have a melee spec keep the two handed.

2 hander for leveling/questing, either staff or mace, whichever has the highest spell power. Don't bother looking at the dps, spell power is the only number you need to look at, as itemisation below 50 for casters is directly linked between SP and weapon dps. Weapon damage is normalised to the dps, not the min, average or max damage.

For healing while leveling, the best is the highest SP and wisdom combination. Some staves are more Intellect focused which isn't ideal, so choose the option with Wisdom if you can, but always choose the highest SP if you have no choice. Same with offhands if you're using one hand + offhand. Never use a shield. They have no SP (because it would make Justicar tanks OP if they did).

+ Reply to Thread